Grand tender Question??

gvre

We have booked the Grand for Feb. 4th. We have been reading that the tenders to shore are a nightmare. We have booked diving in all the ports with the ship operator. This is something we never do but are afraid if we booked with a private operator we would never get off the ship.

My questions is if we booked excursion with the ship will we get a priority tender ticket to get off the ship early?

Richard and Debbie

We have booked the Grand for Feb. 4th. We have been reading that the tenders to shore are a nightmare. We have booked diving in all the ports with the ship operator. This is something we never do but are afraid if we booked with a private operator we would never get off the ship.

My questions is if we booked excursion with the ship will we get a priority tender ticket to get off the ship early?

Richard and Debbie

The tenders are not a nightmare. The Grand is well organized, as most ships are today, with plenty of tenders to get to shore.

Since you booked with the ship, you will have designated times to meet in the show lounge to get your tender (as a group) in time to meet your excursion.

We are on our 3rd week onboard the Grand Princess. Tendering has been an issue at only Cozumel. The reason is that the ship can't dock and they are using the 200 to 400 passenger local boats for tendering. All ships that are sending passengers ashore are using these local boats. It is very difficult to board the boats if there are swells. Everyone onboard the GP that is on tour is given Priority for tendering.

IGNORE that posting from the guy in California! Folks that will defend their "beloved" cruise line without any facts only provide misinformation!

TENDERING is in crisis!

Over 200 people had their shore excursions dramticlly shortened in Grand Cayman.

The ship used TWO of their vessels, 140 people max. You do the math, do not listen to anyone who has not been on the Grand since her return to Galveston!

Ass't Purser acknowledged the problem while conversing on the tender in Cozumel.

It will probably get fixed, but as of now, it is a problem.

The tenders are not a nightmare. The Grand is well organized, as most ships are today, with plenty of tenders to get to shore.

Read my lips:

The tender problem that the Grand is experiencing right now IS a problem. And Jim's message

in the above post is absolutely 100% correct.

I was on the Grand last week and my fiance experienced problems in Grand Cayman. By the time his tender

ticket # was called and he got to the island, it was 2:00 p.m.

To make matters worse, the last tender back to the ship was at 4:45 p.m.

You all can do the math. We had 2 hours and 45 minutes to explore Grand Cayman.

Trust me. The GrandP has huge problems with their tendering system.

Get up earlier and get a ticket. If you get up right when they start issuing them you get a low number, off the ship earlier, and more time to roam around.

No I have not been on the grand princess, I will be in March, but I have been to Tendering ports enough on other ships that I know how to play the system.

Don't be fooled by thinking you will get a priority tender ticket if you have a dive or anything else booked through Princess. We traveled with a group of 60 people and many had dives etc. scheduled and were not able to get off the ship in time, even though they mentioned it to several Princess crew members and those with no excursions booked made it ashore before them.

The Grand has some serious issues with tendering!

Don't be fooled by thinking you will get a priority tender ticket if you have a dive or anything else booked through Princess ...

The Grand has some serious issues with tendering!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can personally second this emotion.

The GrandP definitely has GRAND tendering problems!!!

***** Suggestion to all that presently have a cruise booked on the Grand out of Galveston:

Please contact Princess and address this issue ASAP. Inform them of the complaints/problems you've been reading about on Cruise Critic regarding the Grand Princess.

Telephone: 1-800-PRINCESS

Fax: (661) 284-4747

Maybe this will expedite a resolution for all of us.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Given that I have read many comments from posters regarding the tendering process on the Grand recently, I thought I would call Princess to see if they were aware and if steps are being taken to improve things.

So far, they weren't, and subsequently they aren't - yet.:eek:

I was asked for the details that I had read, and also faxed a letter to their Customer relations dept. As I'm sure we all would like to see this addressed, I would suggest that we all call in to raise the issue. Hopefully changes can be made to make future cruises on the Grand (including our own:D ) more enjoyable.

Their number is 1-800-Princess (774-6237)

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel just gets replaced...;)

I understand that a few here are expressing some strong feelings out of disappointment or frustration, but I personally doubt that there are problems endemic to the ship. There might be difficulties with just too many people from too many ships all trying to be at the same place at the same time. Maybe it just takes longer for the authorities to clear all the ships when so many show up at once. Tendering doesn't start until the paperwork is complete, after all.

Besides, whether it's diving, weddings, or whatever, using a ship to get anywhere at a specific time is chancy at best. It's one of those cruise ship secrets that DON'T get discussed on the travel channel - and maybe the fact that reality doesn't match preconcieved expectations born out of hope and dreams plays a role in the responses.

The great thing about these boards is you can learn of a problem and at least be prepared for it, even if the problem is fixed by the time you sail. I wouldn't have known to get in line for a tender ticket in Cayman extra early for my Nativeway tour that departs at 2:00 p.m., if I hadn't read of the delays on these boards. Now my dilemma is whether to cancel Nativeway because the tour isn't over until 5:00 p.m. (plenty of time for a 7:00 p.m. departure, but not a 4:45 final tender). It's too late to pre-reserve a ship's tour if I cancel Nativeway.

I think there is no doubt there IS a problem, it's been reported too consistently. Other cruise lines aren't having the same problem as noted on other boards. I just hope it's remedied before our sailing on Saturday. I don't think standing in a long line for a tender ticket, then for the tender, then for the return tender, is my idea of a good time. Maybe the Southern Caribbean spoiled me (zero tenders), and the only other time we were to tender, the swells were too high and everything was canceled. But not before an older gentlemen had a heart attack on the way to a scuba site.

I'm glad to hear they are replacing Cayman with Roatan next year. I am hoping that this cruise turns out to be enjoyable and relaxing. I would be happy to stick with Royal Caribbean for future cruises, as the planning and actual cruise was stress free. This cruise is about to send me to the loony bin, what with the Hotel Galvez check-in, the changed departure times on the personalizer, and the reviews of the past 2 weeks.

We are on our 3rd week onboard the Grand Princess. Tendering has been an issue at only Cozumel. The reason is that the ship can't dock and they are using the 200 to 400 passenger local boats for tendering. All ships that are sending passengers ashore are using these local boats. It is very difficult to board the boats if there are swells. Everyone onboard the GP that is on tour is given Priority for tendering.

Everyone is complaining about tendering at Cozumel.

I stand by my post that the Grand is well organized, it has been for three cruises for us. BigTimeCruiser confirms the problem is at Cozumel.

Stop blaming Princess.........Cozumel was destroyed a few moths ago, piers are no longer there, I expect tendering in will be a problem at Cozumel for a while. The alternative is to skip Cozumel, which from reading other threads, people do not want.

I was on the Grand 11/26 and strongly agree the GP has a HUGE problem with the organization of tender debarkation. You could hear Princess employee's argueing among themselves on their walkie-talkies about what tour should be next, ect. It is truely a mess !! I booked a Cozumel SCUBA tour with the ship to meet in the steakhouse at 10:00 AM. We didn't get off the ship until 12:30 !! (again, this was a ship's tour !!).

In Grand Cayman, the Star Princess and the Grand had to share the tender dock one at a time, while larger tenders keep cutting in front of our timid tender driver. We sat 30 feet off shore for 25 minutes, making the total tender time 2 hours from meeting in the Princess Theater for our tour.

There should be a notation on the itinerary indicating which ports will require tenders. It might just be a little asterisk. It is not always clearly marked, so just ask here about any potential itinerary you are considering.

Thanks, SpongeRob. Our itinerary is:

San Juan

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

San Juan

I've been to St. Thomas but never to any of the other ports. Are any of these normally tendered?

I was on the Grand 11/26 and strongly agree the GP has a HUGE problem with the organization of tender debarkation. You could hear Princess employee's argueing among themselves on their walkie-talkies about what tour should be next, ect. It is truely a mess !! I booked a Cozumel SCUBA tour with the ship to meet in the steakhouse at 10:00 AM. We didn't get off the ship until 12:30 !! (again, this was a ship's tour !!).

In Grand Cayman, the Star Princess and the Grand had to share the tender dock one at a time, while larger tenders keep cutting in front of our timid tender driver. We sat 30 feet off shore for 25 minutes, making the total tender time 2 hours from meeting in the Princess Theater for our tour.

Hi Scotto - I really appreciate your comments, and was wondering if "we" might impose on you to relay your feedback directly to Princess:o .

I spoke to them a few days ago and their Customer Service dept is unaware of the problem. A call from past cruisers like you would go along way in helping them identify and address the issue, and could end up making other future cruisers experience more positive.

We all would appreciate your efforts:D !

There might be difficulties with just too many people from too many ships all trying to be at the same place at the same time. Maybe it just takes longer for the authorities to clear all the ships when so many show up at once.

This is the cruise ship lineup from Grand Cayman on Dec. 7th. It came straight from cruisecal.com

....Cruise Line...............ShipDate...........Date.........Arrive.........Depart

Carnival Cruise Lines... Imagination......12/7/2005....7:00 AM......4:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines... Inspiration.......12/7/2005....7:00 AM......2:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines....Carn. Liberty....12/7/2005....8:00 AM......5:00 PM

Princess Cruises.........Grand Princess...12/7/2005...12:00 PM.....7:00 PM

Royal Caribbean........Voyager o/t Seas.12/7/2005...8:00 AM......5:00 PM

(Star Princess arrived at 11:00 and departed at 7:00 p.m.)

So..... you can see from this cruise calendar chart that the Carnival and RCI ships arrived in Cayman much, much earlier than the Grand Princess.

We did not ALL show up at once.

Once again: There are major tendering problems on the Grand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Please contact Princess and address this issue*

Telephone: 1-800-PRINCESS

Fax: (661) 284-4747

Okay, Lorie, I know you're upset about this and I'm not trying to say that what you experienced didn't happen. Regardless of the schedule, those ships still had to be cleared, and then began tendering back and forth. Clearly the area was congested, and I'll even grant there might have been some confusion on board. I think the "major" problems are just as I stated - too many ships and too many people trying to occupy the same place at the same time.

Given that, I think it is a little bit of a stretch to say that there are "major" problems on board the ship based solely upon what you say you have experienced. Continually repeating your conclusions to the point where others are beginning to doubt their future cruise plans is a bit presumptive, too. I appreciate you reporting what happened. I just don't think that the situation justifies a call to arms and telephone campaign.

Calling the telephone sales reps. at the Princess number below is not going to accomplish anything. They are bottom-feeders in a big food chain (no offense to phone reps., just trying to illustrate my point). If you really want to complain, you need to do so to the right people. It would take some research to find out who they are and maybe someone here could help with that.

We'll be on the Grand in a few days and there'll be 7 ships in port. Yes, 7! :eek: We're going to be flexible and see what happens this week. If the report is that tendering is still a mess, we'll cancel our shore excursion and just enjoy the ship.:)

This is the cruise ship lineup from Grand Cayman on Dec. 7th. It came straight from cruisecal.com

....Cruise Line...............ShipDate...........Date.........Arrive.........Depart

Carnival Cruise Lines... Imagination......12/7/2005....7:00 AM......4:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines... Inspiration.......12/7/2005....7:00 AM......2:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines....Carn. Liberty....12/7/2005....8:00 AM......5:00 PM

Princess Cruises.........Grand Princess...12/7/2005...12:00 PM.....7:00 PM

Royal Caribbean........Voyager o/t Seas.12/7/2005...8:00 AM......5:00 PM

(Star Princess arrived at 11:00 and departed at 7:00 p.m.)

For grins checked the port and this is what they logged:

Vessel Name Vessel Line Passengers Arrival Date Arrival Time Departure Date Departure Time Star PrincessPrincess Cruises Inc.16252005-12-0710:45:002005-12-0719:00:00Grand PrincessPrincess Cruises Inc.33002005-12-0711:45:002005-12-0718:30:00InspirationCarnival Cruise Line26342005-12-0707:55:002005-12-0714:30:00ImaginationCarnival Cruise Line26342005-12-0710:05:002005-12-0717:15:00Carnival LibertyCarnival Cruise Line37002005-12-0707:35:002005-12-0717:00:00Voyager of the SeasRoyal Caribbean Cruises38402005-12-0707:35:002005-12-0716:00:00

Archived