Booking through a TA vs direct?

Jasukkie

I'm looking at a cruise that is in less than 90 days, so in full payment due on booking zone. My prior 3 cruises have been booked directly with RC. I googled and found what look to be some significant savings on this particular cruise at two online agencies. It would be a savings of approx $300 off the booking price, including taxes and fees. The agencies add on various perks, from a modest on-board credit, to a spa visit, to one upgraded dining experience. Nice, but my main interest is saving on the cruise price.

This cruise appears to have a lot of availability at this point. It is a pretty good price direct from RC at this point, but I would love to save money. I understand that stock of rooms could change overnight so I can't count on the direct price dropping.

Are there downsides to booking with a travel agency? I know this board doesn't like discussion of actual agencies, but are there some red flags I should be aware of? Known fraudulent agencies?

I don't see downsides with booking with a KNOWN travel agency - where you know who you're speaking to, and that you can call them and reach a person as needed. I would not personally book a cruise with an online agency as I've had enough problems reaching someone with a simple hotel night booking error.

I'm looking at a cruise that is in less than 90 days, so in full payment due on booking zone. My prior 3 cruises have been booked directly with RC. I googled and found what look to be some significant savings on this particular cruise at two online agencies. It would be a savings of approx $300 off the booking price, including taxes and fees. The agencies add on various perks, from a modest on-board credit, to a spa visit, to one upgraded dining experience. Nice, but my main interest is saving on the cruise price.

This cruise appears to have a lot of availability at this point. It is a pretty good price direct from RC at this point, but I would love to save money. I understand that stock of rooms could change overnight so I can't count on the direct price dropping.

Are there downsides to booking with a travel agency? I know this board doesn't like discussion of actual agencies, but are there some red flags I should be aware of? Known fraudulent agencies?

The CC "search" feature is your friend. There's a zillion (give or take a few hundred thousand) threads on the pros/cons of using a TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ask others that you meet onboard who they use. We use 2 on-line agencies and have for about 10 years. They have excellent agents & customer service; add to that we get refundable OBC amounting to 8-10% of the cruise fare.

I have yet to see either of these TAs show up when I use the Find A Cruise feature, yet on the 4 current booking we have our prices are equal on 1 and lower for 3; the OBC is icing on the cake. We would not have heard of either of these TAs if we hadn't asked people we met on the ships.

At the top of this page click on Find a Cruise, add date and destination. Check out the TA quoting prices, all good companies.

Thank you! I have never clicked on the Find a Cruise feature here. I see one of the agencies I am considering so that's very helpful.

Not sure but you might be more inline for upgrades at last minute if booked direct. That saying I go with the lowest price and that is usually an online agency that I have now used for years after meeting a t/a from there on a cruise. Before that I was concerned about using them but have used her and her managers for years with great results. Also have found one other t/a and online agency (through fellow cruisers) that I have used they had better prices on one cruise. I think it can be group rates that one may have and the other doesn't. Even booked rcl with one of their rates that was refundable when RCL had non refundable deposits.

Not sure but you might be more inline for upgrades at last minute if booked direct. That saying I go with the lowest price and that is usually an online agency that I have now used for years after meeting a t/a from there on a cruise. Before that I was concerned about using them but have used her and her managers for years with great results. Also have found one other t/a and online agency (through fellow cruisers) that I have used they had better prices on one cruise. I think it can be group rates that one may have and the other doesn't. Even booked rcl with one of their rates that was refundable when RCL had non refundable deposits.

Actually, the opposite is often true. A cruise line's top producing TAs may be the first folks to be contacted with offers for their clients.

I prefer to work with a local TA in my area, this way I can directly meet with she or any of her associates about my cruise. Even if I have booked with my TA, if she is out of the office, then her associates will take over and handle my question or request. I had a situation on our last cruise where we had to cancel two upcoming ones due to a medical emergency with my husband. We were still missing $1,000 refund and met with her this week and she called into the cruise line Resolution Dept and they were able to locate the missing refunds and get them credited.

I have almost always booked via a travel agent. The ones I have used are not local--rather ones I deal with have been based 3,000 miles from home--but large, high volume agencies that have lower overhead and better commission deals with the cruise lines...so they can afford to cut into their commission and offer incentives--usually large onboard credit...but often other freebies as well. They used to just discount the price, but RCCL stopped letting them do that years ago...so now, they just rebate part of the price with OBC. It is ALWAYS a better deal than what you get directly through the cruise line.

Be wary, not all travel agencies offer these incentives...and the size of the incentives differ from TA to TA...but, always a better deal.

It doesn't bother me that they are not local. I don't use one that's purely internet based, rather a real agency with an 800 number and an actual agent--one I can pick up the phone and reach any time (during business hours, of course).

Other advantages:

They are there to help me when things go wrong with the cruise line. They know the cruise lines well, know who to call and how to get stuff done.

They offer great advice with deals and sales, cabin selection, etc.

Sometimes, they have some "Group rates" available and can offer an even bigger savings.

Disadvantages:

I cannot deal with the cruise line directly on most things--need to handle things through my TA. Actually, that's about the only disadvantage--and it's no big deal.

Sadly, the price just bounced up several hundred dollars across all sites as RC raised the price too. Ugh, I was actually going in to book at this time, saw the original price and by the time I got to select a cabin the price went up. I deleted cookies hoping that might be the issue but it doesn't appear to be so. The new price is a deal breaker to me. I will keep an eye on it but this is a pass at this point. Thanks for your help and lesson learned not to hesitate if the price is right.

Now there shows no balconies available. An hour ago there were over 100 balcony cabins available. Frustrating.

Just keep an eye on it. They may be updating inventory.

There is a website where agencies Compete for your business. You put in the date and the ship you want to cruise on and you will receive several offers. Sorry, I can't mention the name but I think you can find it.

Maybe there's an agency who still has some inventory at the old price. :) Good Luck.

Just keep an eye on it. They may be updating inventory.

There is a website where agencies Compete for your business. You put in the date and the ship you want to cruise on and you will receive several offers. Sorry' date=' I can't mention the name but I think you can find it.

Maybe there's an agency who still has some inventory at the old price. :) Good Luck.[/quote']

Be very careful about any "competition" website.

It's no different than calling different agencies for a quote.

I've gotten quotes from them. A person should check out any agency before they book.

Not every quote on that site is legit (not the fault of the site- rather some of the bidders do stretch the truth).