Internet package For Dummies

starflyte1

I am confused about the internet package. I don't understand what messaging is but know text.

Will I be able to text? Thinking about it, I would think no because that goes thru the phone line. Is that right? Will I be able to use my email just like at home, both sending and receiving?

Thank you for any reply you might make. Just trying to get extras clear.

I am confused about the internet package. I don't understand what messaging is but know text.

Will I be able to text? Thinking about it, I would think no because that goes thru the phone line. Is that right? Will I be able to use my email just like at home, both sending and receiving?

Thank you for any reply you might make. Just trying to get extras clear.

I rarely message or text and have never aboard ship but others have.

If you buy the ship's internet, Yes, you will be able to use your email, just like at home, but much SLOWER, for sending and receiving.

messaging and texting are the same thing.

You have to be connected to either the internet via the ships wifi, or have a cellular connection.

Different ships have different plans, some of which offer just texting at a reduced price.

And, as always, the number one rule when at sea - TURN DATA ROAMING OFF.

I was on the breakaway in June (in the haven not sure if it was a special perk) but on the first day i got a message in iconcierge saying unlimited txts for the cruise for 9.99. I bought that and used it frequently. Pictures would not send but text messages went through promptly.

You have to stay connected to the WiFi but it only charges you minutes or ship data if you have logged into it through a web browser.

Well, now I've learned something new. I thought messaging was using Facebook messenger to send messages.

It's all about context - "texting" normally refers to SMS texts, which require cell service, but NOT data. MMS texts require cell service AND cell data (SMS are text only, MMS can contain multimedia content - images, video etc..).

"Messaging" can refer to many things - Facebook Messenger, Whats App messaging, iMessage, iConcierge etc... Most of these services only require data (cell data or WiFi), but will work without cell service, if WiFi (or other data) is available.

So - it's a bit simplistic to consider them all the "same"....

Was on the Escape in January. When at sea most of your activities will revolve around the iConcierge app (it's the app you use to check the schedule, reserve entertainment, etc.) and in order for it to work you have to connect your phone to the ship's Wifi. This app also has a messaging feature built into it that you can use to keep in touch with others on the ship, but you have to pay a small fee in order to use it. This was hit or miss for me. It usually worked, but many modern phones have power saving features where if you exit an app it gets suspended until you open it again. That meant that if someone sent me a message I wouldn't see it right away. In fact there was no indication a message was waiting for me until the next time I opened the iConcierge app for something else, at which point the message alert would pop up.

Alternatively, if you have Internet access you could use messaging apps like Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Kik, Snapchat, email, etc. (or if your phone as Wifi calling) and they should work just like they would on land. Of course, you might not want to do this if you have a limited number of Internet minutes in your cruise package since it's a great way to use them up quickly. Really only an option if you both pay for the unlimited Internet package, which you're probably not both doing.

Regular text messages (SMS messages) aren't going to work at all until you're near land again, although if you're one of those iPhone people the answer to this is actually a little more complicated.

If this post leaves you feeling frustrated and more confused than before then I did my part. Sadly, it doesn't seem there's a simple and highly reliable way to send messages to each other when at sea. Best option is probably to use the iConcierge app and just remember to open it from time to time to catch any new messages that came in since the last time you checked.

It's all about context - "texting" normally refers to SMS texts, which require cell service, but NOT data. MMS texts require cell service AND cell data (SMS are text only, MMS can contain multimedia content - images, video etc..).

"Messaging" can refer to many things - Facebook Messenger, Whats App messaging, iMessage, iConcierge etc... Most of these services only require data (cell data or WiFi), but will work without cell service, if WiFi (or other data) is available.

So - it's a bit simplistic to consider them all the "same"....

Thank you for your explanation which definitely helps this Senior who still uses a flip top phone and occasionally uses hubby's Facebook messaging.

Was on the Escape in January. When at sea most of your activities will revolve around the iConcierge app (it's the app you use to check the schedule, reserve entertainment, etc.) and in order for it to work you have to connect your phone to the ship's Wifi. This app also has a messaging feature built into it that you can use to keep in touch with others on the ship, but you have to pay a small fee in order to use it. This was hit or miss for me. It usually worked, but many modern phones have power saving features where if you exit an app it gets suspended until you open it again. That meant that if someone sent me a message I wouldn't see it right away. In fact there was no indication a message was waiting for me until the next time I opened the iConcierge app for something else, at which point the message alert would pop up.

Alternatively, if you have Internet access you could use messaging apps like Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Kik, Snapchat, email, etc. (or if your phone as Wifi calling) and they should work just like they would on land. Of course, you might not want to do this if you have a limited number of Internet minutes in your cruise package since it's a great way to use them up quickly. Really only an option if you both pay for the unlimited Internet package, which you're probably not both doing.

Regular text messages (SMS messages) aren't going to work at all until you're near land again, although if you're one of those iPhone people the answer to this is actually a little more complicated.

If this post leaves you feeling frustrated and more confused than before then I did my part. Sadly, it doesn't seem there's a simple and highly reliable way to send messages to each other when at sea. Best option is probably to use the iConcierge app and just remember to open it from time to time to catch any new messages that came in since the last time you checked.

Not sure about other carriers but Verizon's Android Messenger App allows sending and receiving SMS messages over WiFi.

Not sure about other carriers but Verizon's Android Messenger App allows sending and receiving SMS messages over WiFi.

Yes, that is true.

BUT, and a big BUT... you not only have to be connected to a WIFI signal, but that signal also has to be connected to the internet. You may have to pay or the WIFI and/or the internet access.

We will have the 250 minutes pkg. I understand that it's just for one login. Will we be able to text each other onboard through iconcierge? Or does one of us still have to purchase the social media plan also?

The prob with using an internet package for texting is that you will only send or receive texts when logged on. And every minute you are logged on counts against your minutes. So unless you have unlimited you have to log in, check for messages, log out, repeat.

The most effective way to text message onboard is to download the iconcierge app and pay the fee to activate messaging. It will give you unlimited internet access for messaging only for a set fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, that is true.

BUT, and a big BUT... you not only have to be connected to a WIFI signal, but that signal also has to be connected to the internet. You may have to pay or the WIFI and/or the internet access.

Obviously...but if you to want to send and receive SMS messages then an internet package would likely be less expensive since the payload of SMS messages is so small (text only...sending images, videos, etc can require quite a bit of data).

I am on the Epic now and unless you get the unlimited package you will burn up your minutes logging on and off. The time it takes is crazy sometimes it will drop you if you move around and I assume if you did not log off but your connection is up your time will continue. You can do pretty much anything with just Wi-Fi for iPhones you need to turn on Imessage and turn off the other types. You could send a message to someone else but would need to send then have the other person log on and get the txt message. The iconcierge app is not that useful in that while you can make reservations you cannot see them at least here on the Epic. My account on the TV is different on the TV vs the App too.

I am on the Epic now and unless you get the unlimited package you will burn up your minutes logging on and off. The time it takes is crazy sometimes it will drop you if you move around and I assume if you did not log off but your connection is up your time will continue ... The iconcierge app is not that useful in that while you can make reservations you cannot see them at least here on the Epic. My account on the TV is different on the TV vs the App too.

That's a fair description of most of my experience last week on the Breakaway, we had the FAS promo 250 minutes (1 GB credited on the BA only, as far as I know) plus 2 x 30 minutes/MB for being Latitude Platinum, combined for a total of 1,060 MB to use for the week - shared among multiple devices.

Can you do a screenshot of your Usage Meter or describe what yours looked like (refer to mine below) ? I used the URL of digitalseas.io to sign in and sign out each time, since ours were limited - yet, it doesn't always seem to fully disconnect and logged us off ... fortunately, almost all our background data/usage or updates were disabled and turned off. Throughout the cruise, Tapatalk's pop-up alerts continued to show up all day/night on the ones I followed, posted and subscribed to ... as if I'm connected at all times to the inTERnet when in fact, I was on the ship's WiFi inTRAnet only, logging in & out of our account's plan on purpose.

Android devices seemed to be worst compared to iOS devices, I saw this during the latter part of our 7 day cruise when we're below 500 MB remaining. After I signed off to read emails off-line, I signed in and got an alert that another device is still "active" and given the option to "kick" it off or disconnect - which I did, and had to sign in again. Very often, I can an error on my invalid password, and, need to manually type it into the box again to proceed.

Now that I think about it, it's possible that the SpeedNet App, optionally installed & recommended, might be the bad one sticking around.

On the BA, the iMessage function seemed to be blocked and no longer worked without being logged in (can be connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet only for use with most of the non-paid iConcierge functions) - but, our carrier's SMS or text messaging continued to worked in Airplane Mode this way - - on our Android devices and even the iPhone 5S.

It's the message headers and incomplete, especially with a full length 140 or 160 characters text send. (see below - pop on device's "Home screen".) Outgoing text /SMS messages do not work, unless I'm signed into our online account.

70203024a257331f614bffc8ab2b4c0c.jpg