Where do you put carry on bags after boarding? Can you take them to the state room?

hunnyho

Before I had priority status, I toted my luggage like everyone else. I certainly never bullied crew. I would hope stewards call Security to pick up any bags left by guests outside rooms.

Most cruise lines have a team of staff who move the suitcases from where they are loaded from the quayside onto the ship and move them along the passageways and up to the appropriate decks and leave them outside passenger's cabins. These cases are left outside the cabins as the staff have no access inside the cabins. The cases are generally left outside the cabins until the passengers go to the cabins when they are ready and put them inside, often they arrive much later. I am quite happy to have my cases left, like everybody else's outside my cabin. I might prefer to put my case inside my cabin but if I cannot leaving it outside is completely acceptable to me as this generally happens to everyone's luggage. If cabin stewards wish to put cases inside cabins that is up to them. I have never forced stewards to do this. I cannot see why a cabin steward would call Security to pick up "any bags left by guests outside rooms". Firstly how would they know the said bags had been left by guests? Secondly how would they explain the security risk of guests leaving bags outside cabins which does not apply to cases left by the crew moving luggage about. Thirdly, when you attend the Security Department how would they explain why they have taken your cases away when they have been removed from exactly where the crew are instructed to leave them?

Regards John

So, how do you know your individual room is ready? Or are they all ready at one time?

The cruise lines I have been on the make an announcement when the rooms are ready, all at once. On carnival they actually have the doors to the Halls with the cabins shut with a sign saying do not enter except for Suites, diamond, Platinum, and FTTF guests. When the rooms are done they open the doors and usually make an announcement, around 1/1:30.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

So, how do you know your individual room is ready? Or are they all ready at one time?

On Carnival, there will be a sign posted on the hallway doors telling you at what time you can access your stateroom (unless you are priority, it is all at the same time). Generally, there will also be an announcement made.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And what about on the non-huge cruise lines, such as Viking? Do all cruise lines deal with luggage in the same manner? What are your experiences?

Every cruise line has a different way of handling luggage and stateroom availability. You might get a better answer if you create a new thread over on the Viking board. At least, you'll get an answer for that specifically :) Have a great cruise, I'm jealous, always wanted to do a Viking cruise ;p

Follow the rules and not try to access the cabins prior to them being released for access.

I am quite happy to leave my suitcase outside the cabin in the same way as the staff leave my other suitcases, that's why I have them all labelled with the standard bag tags. I have only sailed on cruise lines where you are not restricted from walking along the same corridor as your your cabin. Obviously if you are restricted to having access to the corridors you cannot do this. I was previously unaware that some cruise lines have this rule to stop people walking along the corridors.

Regards John

I am quite happy to leave my suitcase outside the cabin in the same way as the staff leave my other suitcases, that's why I have them all labelled with the standard bag tags. I have only sailed on cruise lines where you are not restricted from walking along the same corridor as your your cabin. Obviously if you are restricted to having access to the corridors you cannot do this. I was previously unaware that some cruise lines have this rule to stop people walking along the corridors.

Regards John

Carnival does restrict access to the corridors prior to opening the rooms for access (again, except for those with priority access). They doors are closed, but not locked. There are those people who feel entitled and simply walk right through without regard for how they may be making things harder on the crew who are trying to get cabins ready and distributing checked luggage.

Carnival does restrict access to the corridors prior to opening the rooms for access (again, except for those with priority access). They doors are closed, but not locked. There are those people who feel entitled and simply walk right through without regard for how they may be making things harder on the crew who are trying to get cabins ready and distributing checked luggage.

Clearly where a cruise line does not permit passenger access to any part of the ship passengers must not go there.

Regards John

The above is the way it works on Carnival ships.

On several Carnival ships including Splendor (and soon on all Carnival ships) you will not be given your cruise card (Sail & sign) when you check in. It will be waiting in a sealed envelope outside your cabin door when the cabins are ready. Those with priority boarding will find their cards at their cabins on boarding. Any others who try to sneak down to their cabins will not find a key to access the cabin. EM

Not sure I would like this. Couldn't any Joe Schmoe go to your room, grab your key card, and go in?

Not sure I would like this. Couldn't any Joe Schmoe go to your room, grab your key card, and go in?

Yes, but that doesn't get them anything. If a cruiser goes to their stateroom and doesn't have a card, or the envelope has been tampered with, they are to go to GS and they will deactivate the original cards and provide new ones. A little hassle, but, really, who would steal the cards for any purpose than to charge something to them? Carnival will removal all charges that cannot be attributed to the guest, and when a card is used, the guest's picture pops up in the system.