Aus/NZ Ovation or Solstice

Kaibocan

There are several factors that would influence a decision:

Which has the better itinerary?

Which is longer?

Which is less expensive?

Are you bringing children on the cruise? If so, I'd go with Ovation.

Do you want fewer children on the cruise? If so, I'd go with Solstice.

Are you a high point cruiser on one of the lines? Then I'd go with whichever you get the better perks.

we are not bringing children, Solstice is slightly cheaper because its 10 day and ovation is 14 day. I have more points with RCCL but I believe Celebrity will honor the at the same level. HERES THE ITINERARIES TO CHOOSE FROM:

Sunday, February 4 Sydney, Australia6:30pmMonday, February 5 At SeaTuesday, February 6 At SeaWednesday, February 7 Bay of Islands, New Zealand9:30am6:00pmThursday, February 8 Auckland, New Zealand10:00am8:30pmFriday, February 9 Tauranga, New Zealand9:30am8:30pmSaturday, February 10 At SeaSunday, February 11 Wellington, New Zealand7:00am6:00pmMonday, February 12 Picton, New Zealand7:00am6:00pmTuesday, February 13 At SeaWednesday, February 14 Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand8:00am5:00pmThursday, February 15 Dusky Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)8:00am9:00amThursday, February 15 Doubtful Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)11:00amNoonThursday, February 15 Milford Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)5:00pm6:00pmFriday, February 16 At SeaSaturday, February 17 At SeaSunday, February 18 Sydney, Australia

SECOND ITINERARY

Monday, January 22 Sydney, Australia6:30pmTuesday, January 23 At SeaWednesday, January 24 At SeaThursday, January 25 Bay of Islands, New Zealand10:00am8:00pmFriday, January 26 Auckland, New Zealand8:00am6:00pmSaturday, January 27 Tauranga, New Zealand6:00am5:00pmSunday, January 28 At SeaMonday, January 29 Akaroa, New Zealand7:00am6:00pmTuesday, January 30 Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand8:00am5:00pmWednesday, January 31 Dusky Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)Wednesday, January 31 Doubtful Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)Wednesday, January 31 Milford Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)Thursday, February 1 At SeaFriday, February 2 At SeaSaturday, February 3 Sydney, Australia6:30am

If you had a choice between Ovation and Solstice for a Australia/New Zealand cruise, which would you pick?

We chose a nice 10-day on Ovation out of Sydney to New Zealand. Amazing balcony price on it too.

It's also important to determine the right time of year (month), as this has an impact to the various weather scenarios you might experience. February is mid-summer there.

The U.S. June - August = New Zealand December - February

New Zealand Weather

December - February

Average daytime temperature:

(70 - 82˚F)

Solstice is slightly cheaper because its 10 day and ovation is 14 day. I have more points with RCCL but I believe Celebrity will honor the at the same level. HERES THE ITINERARIES TO CHOOSE FROM:

Solstice Feb.22/18 cruise is actually a 12 day cruise. If Solstice is only slightly cheaper I would select the longer Ovation cruise with its extra port and sea day.

X will honor the loyalty status up to Diamond for Elite status onboard but not higher.

We've been on both classes of ship and they are very similar cabin wise but prefer the larger Quantum class ship with all its extras like Seaplex, Flowrider, North Star and Ifly. It also has a much larger and nicer Solarium than Ovation and more restaurant options.

Edited by robtulipe

If you live in Australia and there is a good chance that you will be able to travel to New Zealand again, then I would do the cheaper and shorter cruise otherwise go the longer cruise. Neither will disappoint

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you live in Australia and there is a good chance that you will be able to travel to New Zealand again, then I would do the cheaper and shorter cruise otherwise go the longer cruise. Neither will disappoint

Texas

Something to consider is that with Ovation being bigger, there are a lot more people to get on or off at each port. Some of those are tender ports too. Could be a long process getting on and off each time and the smaller ports could be a bit crowded with the extra people.

Ovation is way too big for my tastes and 5000 people will make some ports seem totally overrun.

Interesting. We've been on the Oasis class ships (even bigger), and never felt crowded...nor were any of the ports overrun despite 6,000 passengers (including small ports like Labadee & Falmouth).

Understand people have different tastes.

Something to consider is that with Ovation being bigger, there are a lot more people to get on or off at each port. Some of those are tender ports too.

Actually....we're on a similar 10-day Ovation cruise next year with the same ports...and according to the itinerary...NONE are tendered - all are docked stops except the 2 fjord/sound pass-throughs both done the first arrival day.

15-Dec Milford Sound, New Zealand 8:00 AM 9:00 AM Cruisings.gif

15-Dec Doubtful Sound, New Zealand 12:30 PM 1:30 PM Cruising

s.gif16-Dec Dunedin, New Zealand 5:30 AM 5:00 PM Dockeds.gif

17-Dec Wellington, New Zealand 12:00 PM 7:00 PM Dockeds.gif

18-Dec Napier, New Zealand 8:30 AM 5:30 PM Dockeds.gif

19-Dec Picton, New Zealand 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked