My Experience with Pop-up Sel de Mer

RandyinDEN

Until yesterday the Dutch Cafe showed it was "included" but then it changed to A la Carte. I doubt HAL would change their website without reason. It is true the menu hasn't been changed to reflect prices - yet.

The food was included a week ago when we were on K'dam. A lot of their morning pastries looked just like what was being served elsewhere. They better step up that if they expect people to pay. Lunchtime food did seem to be unique, but even so the area never seemed terribly busy.

The food was included a week ago when we were on K'dam. A lot of their morning pastries looked just like what was being served elsewhere. They better step up that if they expect people to pay. Lunchtime food did seem to be unique, but even so the area never seemed terribly busy.

What did you like? The soup and pancakes sound good, but the rest sounds much like ham and cheese sandwiches.

Did you try any of the other restaurants? I would be interested in your opinions on those.

Until yesterday the Dutch Cafe showed it was "included" but then it changed to A la Carte. I doubt HAL would change their website without reason. It is true the menu hasn't been changed to reflect prices - yet.

I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure it was showing a la carte on the restaurant page when I looked a few months ago. I checked the Wayback archive machine and unfortunately there are no saved copies of the Grand Dutch Cafe page, and the main dining page from a month ago does not have the "cost" section that is on the page now. Perhaps that's the change that is being referenced here, simply copying the cost section from the restaurant page onto the main dining page.

Edited by MisterBill99

What did you like? The soup and pancakes sound good, but the rest sounds much like ham and cheese sandwiches.

Did you try any of the other restaurants? I would be interested in your opinions on those.

Never got around to eating much there. I did try the cream puff, and it was huge and delicious. I wanted to try their version of the Dutch pancake, but they didn't offer than until 11 or 11:30, and to me that's breakfast food not lunch. I was disappointed that they didn't have hot chocolate. I think they had a quiche each day. But so did the "Rise" station at the Lido.

Didn't try the other restaurants. We were happy with the MDR. This is the first cruise in a long time where we didn't have dinner in the Pinnacle on the last night. Thought about Sel de Mer, but decided not to go.

Dang. That’s unfortunate. We did think that the food was quite good BUT would need to see prices before I would consider buying it!

Please take a pic of the menu if you can showing the prices and let us know. Have a great cruise.

There is a menu on the website and it does not show prices for food. HAL seems to be pretty good about updating menus, they changed the Culinary Arts Center menu page what seemed like immediately after they made the change, and they have prices there.

To be clear, we have one person who is basing this on what they say is changed wording on the website. Unless someone on the ship reports otherwise, I will continue to think that nothing has changed.

Never got around to eating much there. I did try the cream puff, and it was huge and delicious. I wanted to try their version of the Dutch pancake, but they didn't offer than until 11 or 11:30, and to me that's breakfast food not lunch. .

I agree, I was thinking I would get some good pancakes for breakfast but the Dutch do things a little differently than the rest of us. I remember looking at a hotel in Amsterdam that offered free pancakes - in the afternoon.

Never got around to eating much there. I did try the cream puff, and it was huge and delicious. I wanted to try their version of the Dutch pancake, but they didn't offer than until 11 or 11:30, and to me that's breakfast food not lunch. I was disappointed that they didn't have hot chocolate. I think they had a quiche each day. But so did the "Rise" station at the Lido.

There are pancake restaurants all over Amsterdam, and they're open for breakfast as well as lunch. So clearly they eat pancakes for lunch. I know I did when I was there.

Given that they don't even show a breakfast menu, the pastries are probably just there to go with the coffees that they sell. So I would not be surprised if they were the same as elsewhere on the ship.