Earning free cruises with credit cards

Hey all!

I was thinking of getting a credit card to earn airline miles. The thought came to me...I would much rather earn free cruises. Do you all know if any of the cruise lines have a credit card where you REALLY earn free cruises within a decent period of time? If so, which ones?

Hey all!

I was thinking of getting a credit card to earn airline miles. The thought came to me...I would much rather earn free cruises. Do you all know if any of the cruise lines have a credit card where you REALLY earn free cruises within a decent period of time? If so, which ones?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do

Thanks! I have found this and others. Just hoping for real life perspective from those who have experience with using the cards. I have heard of some cards taking forever to earn anything and not really being worth it.

To earn a "free" 3/4 day cruise on RC, you need 50K points. That's $50K spent on non-RC expenses, or $25K spent on RC expenses. As always, nothing is truly free, you would have to pay taxes.

To earn a "free" 3/4 day cruise on RC, you need 50K points. That's $50K spent on non-RC expenses, or $25K spent on RC expenses. As always, nothing is truly free, you would have to pay taxes.

Wow! That's kind of crazy. And I wouldn't even want a 3 day cruise.

Wow! That's kind of crazy. And I wouldn't even want a 3 day cruise.

Yes, there are definitely better rewards cards out there. We only use the RC card for RC purchases and then redeem for either OBC or straight discount, in which case we get a 2% return.

We use the Chase Sapphire reserve. If you have pair it with the freedom unlimited, you can get 2.25% back on all purchases and 4.5% on restaurants and travel when it goes towards travel, including cruises on any line.

We just got $3500 towards our next cruise and will pay for the airfare with the earn in between.

Drawbacks, points can only be used on initial deposit and it goes through the Chase travel agent.

Look at getting a rewards card with cash back and just put the cash away for a cruise.

Costco has a pretty good cash back program and you get a check in Feb every year.

You'd get a cruise much quicker that way then points.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Look at getting a rewards card with cash back and just put the cash away for a cruise.

Costco has a pretty good cash back program and you get a check in Feb every year.

You'd get a cruise much quicker that way then points.

-Sean

Sam's Club has a similar deal with their Discover card.

Also with the Bank of America Royal Caribbean card your points expire after 5 years. Lots of restrictions and rules for a free cruise. We cashed in points for a 4 day Caribbean cruise (least # of points) because our points were expiring. Points were only good up to $1000 per cruise fare, anything over you pay the extra. Could not be on a ship less than a year old (this included older ships that have been reinstated in less than a year). Also had to book a highest available ocean view. For more points you can do a balcony but could not pay to upgrade to a balcony. The point value we spent could have been used for two separate $500 OBC's , but we did receive a total value of $2000 for 2 people. Haven't used the card since and will be cashing remainder of the points for OBC. We do much better with our Amex.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Read the fine print on the “free cruise” carefully. For a 7 day Caribbean cruise, they say you need to redeem 125,000 points to get a free cruise. The value of the 125,000 cruise points is the lowest ocean view non-refundable stateroom cruise fare on the ship (but not to exceed $2,500 in value).

On 11/13/17, we redeemed 125,000 cruise for a “so-called free cruise up to $2,500 in value” on the May 6, 2018 sailing on the Oasis. We reserved a J-4 Junior Suite stateroom. When the “125,000 cruise points for a free cruise” is used, you do not get any C&A discounts. RCCL removed the $276 C&A balcony discount we had on our initial reservation. The real net value of our 125,000 cruise points was $1,556 ($1,832 less $276).

In summary, our “free cruise” cruise fare for our Jr. Suite for 2 is $1,406 (plus $218.68 for taxes, fees & port expenses). We also got the free gratuity promotion and $200 of OBC. Overall, we are pleased with the price and looking forward to this cruise.

I don’t know if I would get a cruise card but I do love my chase freedom unlimited and my Barclays Jetblue Card. I’ve earned enough point to fly from NYC to FLL for me +3 for the cruise. I think that’s a better deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just get a credit card or credit cards that give a high rate of return as cashback based on your normal spending habits. Then save up your cashback savings and use it toward a cruise. You'll get a better overall rate of return, and in the end that's what really matters.

Based on the cards in my wallet, I get 6% on groceries (including gift cards sold at grocery stores), 5% target and Amazon, 4% gas, 3% restaurants, 2% on everything else. last year it averaged out to slightly above 3%.

The RCI card is at best 2% if you only use it for RCI purchases, so it seems like a waste when you should already have a base credit card at 2% for all purchases.

Bob, what do you mean by the straight discount to get the 2%?

If you use the card for RC purchases, they give you 2 points per dollar spent. Once you get 5000 points, you can redeem that for a $50 on board credit, which comes to a 2% payback. Not sure what is the minimum number of points for a straight discount on cruise fare, Ellen might have that at her fingertips.

If you use the card for RC purchases, they give you 2 points per dollar spent. Once you get 5000 points, you can redeem that for a $50 on board credit, which comes to a 2% payback. Not sure what is the minimum number of points for a straight discount on cruise fare, Ellen might have that at her fingertips.

15,000 points will get you $150 off your cruise fare

Thanks

As someone mentioned previously, Costco has some generous offers. Their Visa card gives 3% back on travel (4% on gas, 3% on restaurants and travel, 2% on Costco purchases, and 1% on everything else). If you are an Executive Costco member, you also earn an additional 2% back on all Costco purchase, including travel. They also have some pretty generous cruise perks if you book through them, too.

As an example, we booked our next RCL cruise (Star class on HOTS) through Costco and paid for it with our Costco card. With all of our credits for our purchases this year plus their Costco cash incentives for the cruise that we booked, we will likely get about $1800 back in credits that we can then put towards our next cruise, if we chose to do so.

Also, if you have an airline credit card (United, American, likely others), you can spend your miles on a cruise booking through one of their travel sites and you can earn miles for your cruise bookings. While you may or may not earn enough for a free cruise, you may be able to earn enough to pay for your flights.

Better off getting a Citi Double Cash Back card and take the 2% you get back and put it in a vacation savings account and get interest, then the points don't expire and you could use it for something else if need be.

Is there an annual fee for that card?

Based on the cards in my wallet, I get 6% on groceries (including gift cards sold at grocery stores), 5% target and Amazon, 4% gas, 3% restaurants, 2% on everything else. last year it averaged out to slightly above 3%.

Can you tell us the cards that earns you the 6% on groceries, and the 2% on everything else?