Insignia Cuba cruise December 1st

happycruisingUK

Who did you use for the Jewish tour tour in Havana ?

We used Fer Tours and they were great we were on the 11/24 Insignia..Fernando is the best..Mercedes (new) air conditioned vans that held up to 16 and great guides..I had planned 3 vans for 33 people and it worked perfectly..

Jancruz1

I wouldn't count on that unless you're only planning to go to touristy places or big hotels. We've been going to places where locals go (small shops, small food venues and even a little beauty shop) and only CUC's are taken. Also, many private tour guides/drivers and classic car drivers want local money.

Actually, there are two currencies in Cuba: the CUC which is what tourists use and the CUP which is what the locals use. There are many stores and restaurants catering to tourists that only deal in CUC so when visitors pay guides etc. in CUC, they're able to go typically inaccessible places.

Actually, there are two currencies in Cuba: the CUC which is what tourists use and the CUP which is what the locals use. There are many stores and restaurants catering to tourists that only deal in CUC so when visitors pay guides etc. in CUC, they're able to go typically inaccessible places.

Yes, we know about CUC's vs CUP's. Tourists only use CUC's. But the poster I answered was suggesting that many places took American dollars so it was unnecessary to exchange money. I was merely advising that we did not find that to be true if you want to shop or go to small local places.

Yes, we know about CUC's vs CUP's. Tourists only use CUC's. But the poster I answered was suggesting that many places took American dollars so it was unnecessary to exchange money. I was merely advising that we did not find that to be true if you want to shop or go to small local places.

The point of my post was to clarify that the CUC is already foreign money to the vast majority of Cubans. In fact, CUCs are called "dollars" among Cubans.

The Cubans with whom the average tourist comes in contact -- guides, drivers, merchants, waiters, etc -- have easy access to CUCs and the sophistication to spend them. They make even take this one step further and accept US dollars because they know how to access Cuban black market goods and services. However, visitors should be under no illusion about US dollars; $$ are illegal currency in Cuba, and some Cubans will refuse them as payment.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy