Genesis of the Seas - 2009 - 240,000 tons

phlydude

Just came back from the AOS and got to speaking to our head waiter Vitek. He informed us that in 2009, RCI is planning on building a ship called Genesis of the Seas. It will come in @ 240,000 tons or so and will hold 7500-8000 cruisers.

This will be in addition to the 3 Freedom class vessels already in the works.

Any one else hear anything on this?

Alot of crew from the AOS are leaving to go on to the FOS and will be with her from Finland all through trials and then on to the US. It was interesting to hear how much of the setting up inside the ship is done by the crew that launches with the ship.

I can't imagine sailing on a ship of that size. Where would it go? How long to board everyone? How long to feed etc etc etc. I shudder at the thought. I have no interest in the FOS and ships that size, too hard to imagine one that much bigger.

Another question, where will the people come from? I beleive their is a limit to how many people will sail and eventually that limit will happen.

Another question, the cost of sailing on a ship that size would be far more than it is today.

I'm sure once the PC police hear about the name, the name will be changed. Ooooh... the name Genesis would probably offend too many people. :o Heck, we can barely say "Merry Christmas" anymore without offending people. It has to be Happy Holidays now...:(

Just came back from the AOS and got to speaking to our head waiter Vitek. He informed us that in 2009, RCI is planning on building a ship called Genesis of the Seas. It will come in @ 240,000 tons or so and will hold 7500-8000 cruisers.

This will be in addition to the 3 Freedom class vessels already in the works.

Any one else hear anything on this?

Alot of crew from the AOS are leaving to go on to the FOS and will be with her from Finland all through trials and then on to the US. It was interesting to hear how much of the setting up inside the ship is done by the crew that launches with the ship.

Not to sound mean, but I think someone might have been pullin' your taffy-are you sure they weren't joking-just the name sounds odd-too biblical for me, a ship with a name like genesis is begging for some natural disaster of biblical proportion to strike it during its maiden voyage-are you sure thay were serious, that sounds awfully big.

If the rumor is correct, based on space allowances for Freedom, etc., the passenger load for a 240K ton ship would be closer to 5000 than 8000. I'm baseing this on Freedom having about 45 tons per passenger, and this number appears to be increasing as ships get larger.

Well, as someone sailing the Freedom in June, I think that she's about as big as I would want to go-I am already a little worried about all those people, I sure wouldn't want to double that number-guess we'll just have to wait and see. But Genesis, I just am not feelin' the name-it's either too biblical or too star trek-both bad for a cruise ship.:eek:

There are shipyards that are big enough. It is nowhere near the size of the largest super tankers that are in the world.

Fair enough, but do we really want to be cruising on vessels the size of a "super tanker'?? I don't even know what that is, but it sounds big!! At some point for cruise ship size, isn't there sucha thing as too big?

There might be a niche for the ship that size in terms of conferences or conventions. However, if such a ship becomes a reality, they'll need an entirely new cruise terminal with multi-tiered entry facilities, and it would likely be limited to the Caribbean and to dock only ports of call. I can't imagine that it would be feasible to tender that many people. I'd also expect more, but smaller, dining venues to accomodate such a crowd.

So does that mean they'll get the band back together for the inaugural sailing? They better do it asap -- Phil Collins is already pushing 60 grinning-smiley-021.gif

yeah, I can feel it coming in the air at night...against all odds....

I covered the bible and star trek, I forgot about good ol Phil-sorry!!

Archived