Anybody leave from Athens?

phabric

I am posting here as some people use Port of Call pre cruise and don't come back to help others. Maybe someone that has sailed with Princess from Athens can help?

I am looking at the 2019 Med cruises that will be coming out soon. There will be 2 late 60's year olds ladies from Canada.

Sunday Oct 20-Sunday Oct 27, 2019 on the new ship Sky

Athens, Kotar, Corfu, Naples, Bacelona

1) How far is the port from Athens?

2) How did you get to the port - Princess transfer, private car,?

3) Hotel suggestions in Athens?

4) Tourist sights to see?

5) Tour companies?

6) How is the weather in late Oct?

7) Currency is Euros?

8) How far is the Bacelona port to the airport? I have stayed in Barcelona before.

When we were embarking in Athens, we flew in that same day (my first cruise, I didn't know any better ;)). We took the train/metro to the port from the airport. It does require a change at one of the stations. Once we were in Piraeus, we walked to the port. Depending on where your ship is docked, this can be a 20 or more minute walk. It is up to you whether you want to do this with suitcases. I have been back to Athens several times and we have always walked the distance between the metro and the port, but I know some people would rather have transport right to the port.

In Barcelona, we did a combination of metro/train to the airport. I believe since we were there that there is now a metro line that goes all the way to the airport (orange) without having to use the train. There is a port shuttle for 2 euros (2015) that takes you in and out of the port area to near the Christopher Columbus monument. The Drassanes (can't remember how to spell that) metro stop is near there.

Take a taxi. It's easy and about 20 minutes. I would find out ahead of time from your hotel (have them call for the car) what the price "should" be. We had a very nice and honest driver, but it's better to establish the expectations in advance. Our taxi driver from the airport to our hotel was less than fair. ;)

I am posting here as some people use Port of Call pre cruise and don't come back to help others. Maybe someone that has sailed with Princess from Athens can help?

I am looking at the 2019 Med cruises that will be coming out soon. There will be 2 late 60's year olds ladies from Canada.

1) How far is the port from Athens? 30 minute taxi ride

2) How did you get to the port - Princess transfer, private car,? taxi plentiful

3) Hotel suggestions in Athens? Marriott Ledra

4) Tourist sights to see? hotel has tour options you can check in on

5) Tour companies?

6) How is the weather in late Oct? mild and comfortable

7) Currency is Euros? yes

8) How far is the Bacelona port to the airport? I have stayed in Barcelona before.

20 minute taxi ride...

I cruised out of Piraeus last May but went in a day early. Caught a taxi from Athens airport to my hotel in Piraeus which went so fast I had to close my eyes! I wouldn't recommend my hotel but it was very cheap at 36€ a night. They gave me a transfer to the ship if I booked breakfast with them which I did. On my return to Piraeus I booked a ships excursion for 50€ which included seeing the Parthenon and a drive round Athens and a drop off at the airport. This was the same cost as a taxi from the port to airport would have been.

20 minute taxi ride...

metro is a good option. cabs in Athens are notorious for ripping off customers...I was a victim of this..dropped me off at my hotel but it was actually a lane behind hotel with a bit of a walk with luggage...street was also dark and driver claimed the large bill I gave him was a smaller one.

once we got to the Pireaus metro station we took a bus to the stop nearest our ship. could have walked but it was about the furthest berth from the metro. not fun with luggage so you could take a cab from the metro station.

Acropolis a must. as is the neighbourhood at the base of the hill. lots of shopping and eating places. museum has the gold death mask etc. one of my minors was Classics so this meant more to me than it would to most.

have fun

1) How far is the port from Athens?

2) How did you get to the port - Princess transfer, private car,?

3) Hotel suggestions in Athens?

4) Tourist sights to see?

5) Tour companies?

6) How is the weather in late Oct?

7) Currency is Euros?

1. From downtown area about 30 minutes. Depends on traffic.

2. If you are doing a pre-cruise have the hotel arrange a car for you.

3. We stayed at the Intercontinental

4. So much to see including the Acropolis, Pathenon and the Acropolis Museum. Visit Plaka for nice places to sit outside and have lunch.

5. We did our own touring.

6. Late October temperature can vary but a nice time since it won't be hot or humid. In early morning might need a light jacket.

7. Currency Euros.

8. Barcelona about 20 minutes port to airport.

Keith

I was staying in Hotel Amalia - great location, in the middle of everything, walking distance to Plaka, Acropolis, Stadium.

I took an express bus from the airport, couple of minutes walking to the hotel.

i was walking around on my first day, on the second day i took a train to see Meteora monasteries (it was on my bucket list).

there is a bus (i believe #40 that goes to the port) with a stop a few minutes from hotel but there much more walking at the port. Taxi cost me 20 euros.

in Barcelona, i was using Princess transfer to get to airport (if your flight is late, you may consider booking tour from an outside vendor (not Princess) with pick up in port and drop of in airport

We stayed at Divani Palace Acropolis (recommended), which is few blocks south of the Acropolis and a few blocks from the Acropolis Museum and Plaka. We asked the Hotel to arrange a taxi for us and the driver was waiting for us at the airport (about 40 minutes ride). We were there for 2 days and went to the Acropolis and Museum first day. On the other day we took a tour to Delphi. The hotel also arrange our taxi to the port. (About 20 minutes).

Sent from my iPad using Forums