A cautionary tale------- Guarantee cabin

bananavan

What can be wrong with that you ask? Well, we are able bodied and we will be in that cabin for 93 days. Not a short week getaway but 93 days.

I don't blame you one bit. I would not want to be in an accessible cabin for 93 days either. Mainly because of the bathroom. It looks like a hospital bathroom and when I've had them before, the floor would flood every time I took a shower because there is no ledge, just a drain. I think it's great for people that truly need this design, but not so appealing for those that don't. Also the sink had limited storage space because there was no cabinet underneath so a wheelchair could slide under. The toilet is higher too.

Also I'm surprised Cunard would assign this cabin for a full 93 days to a party that doesn't actually need it. These long cruises are sold in segments, and surely the accessible cabin might be needed for one of the shorter segments.

I hope you get this sorted out and receive a cabin you're happy with. I know for 93 days you're spending a pretty penny and deserve to be happy. Also you had no choice but to book the guarantee so it's not even like you had any control.

I don't blame you one bit. I would not want to be in an accessible cabin for 93 days either. Mainly because of the bathroom. It looks like a hospital bathroom and when I've had them before, the floor would flood every time I took a shower because there is no ledge, just a drain. I think it's great for people that truly need this design, but not so appealing for those that don't. Also the sink had limited storage space because there was no cabinet underneath so a wheelchair could slide under. The toilet is higher too.

Also I'm surprised Cunard would assign this cabin for a full 93 days to a party that doesn't actually need it. These long cruises are sold in segments, and surely the accessible cabin might be needed for one of the shorter segments.

I hope you get this sorted out and receive a cabin you're happy with. I know for 93 days you're spending a pretty penny and deserve to be happy. Also you had no choice but to book the guarantee so it's not even like you had any control.

I think this is a marvellous thread highlighting the pitfalls of a guarantee booking and it's just a shame it involves a cruise of such length. I don't blame bananavan for being upset either and I think she's being pretty stoical about it but I think she got what she booked. A Club level cabin.

There was a choice of cabin at that early stage but admittedly not at the club level. As there are precious few Club cabins onboard, if the disabled cabin wasn't actually booked out, and that was the cabin left very near to departure then Cunard can and now have assigned it to someone who booked that level of accommodation on GUA basis. I don't recall reading any small print where it says disabled cabins were exempt from GUA allocation at the one time we booked a Q7 GUA years ago.

Booking a GUA is a gamble but a gamble which assures you the level of accommodation booked, if not higher. It can be anywhere on the ship and it's within Cunard's gift to decide where you sleep nights.

My advice, having watched passengers swop cabins and grades [ waitlisted and then paid for to some degree I was told, on at least two occasions by some regular acquaintances we meet every year] on Victoria's world cruises sectors, is to get down to the Pursers desk asap once on-board and ask there and then about cabin changes and if not possible, make an appointment with the Hotel Manager and politely and put all the cards on the table and get themselves waitlisted for another cabin.

I do hope this can be facilitated, one way or another and thank you bananavan for highlighting pitfalls of this type of booking.

I think this is a marvellous thread highlighting the pitfalls of a guarantee booking and it's just a shame it involves a cruise of such length. I don't blame bananavan for being upset either and I think she's being pretty stoical about it but I think she got what she booked. A Club level cabin.

There was a choice of cabin at that early stage but admittedly not at the club level. As there are precious few Club cabins onboard, if the disabled cabin wasn't actually booked out, and that was the cabin left very near to departure then Cunard can and now have assigned it to someone who booked that level of accommodation on GUA basis. I don't recall reading any small print where it says disabled cabins were exempt from GUA allocation at the one time we booked a Q7 GUA years ago.

Booking a GUA is a gamble but a gamble which assures you the level of accommodation booked, if not higher. It can be anywhere on the ship and it's within Cunard's gift to decide where you sleep nights.

My advice, having watched passengers swop cabins and grades [ waitlisted and then paid for to some degree I was told, on at least two occasions by some regular acquaintances we meet every year] on Victoria's world cruises sectors, is to get down to the Pursers desk asap once on-board and ask there and then about cabin changes and if not possible, make an appointment with the Hotel Manager and politely and put all the cards on the table and get themselves waitlisted for another cabin.

I do hope this can be facilitated, one way or another and thank you bananavan for highlighting pitfalls of this type of booking.

I thank you for your well thought out reply. I wish that someone had posted this here last year at some point so I might have had options before allocation of the cabin.

I am grateful that that nobody has stated that I should just be glad that I am lucky enough be on a World cruise. I am aware that there are far greater issues out there but this one is mine. It is the one I am dealing with at the moment.

Even when I would call Cunard, to arrange my air etc. the agents would look at my booking and tell me that I should not worry, that I was in great shape in terms of this booking.

I am surprised that despite booking it 20 months out and being a 93 day cruise, that nobody at Cunard gave that any merit in the process. I would have thought that if there were upsets, they might contact people on the Guarantee lists first. As they don't, might I suggest it?

Better still, if you are on Guarantee ask to be put on the upsell list.

There are 20 Accessible cabins in total on the ship. There are 1035 total. Less than 2% and I got it. I should go out an buy a lottery ticket. I should bet on every long shot at a racetrack.

We did book an A-1 and were given an A-1 but I never would have expected this one. SO the old adage, book the level that you will be comfortable with does not apply. Not when cabins like this one come into the picture. And not for 93 days. Caveat Emptor.

Being allocated an accessible cabin was not even in our mental picture of possibilities

Two are in the BA category and are bigger and better laid out.

I just do not understand the logic used by Cunard.

There are a few departments currently working on it (In their spare time I am sure) so I can only hope something can be done. We have suggested our willingness to move from time to time, kind of a respite. As long as we keep the dining option. That was10 K more per person. Hardly worth it now.

ok I'm gonna be the bad guy here. People have said it but it seems you don't hear it.

A guarantee is a guarantee is a guarantee. Get over it. Next time pay attention to the small print, choose an actual room in some grade, or don't go! It's that simple. If you follow these boards with regularity this issue comes up ALL THE TIME. Stop blaming Cunard and take responsibility for your own actions. Are you really going to let this ruin a great 93 day vacation. If you're so able bodied why are you complaining. How about devoting your energy to say, maybe a handicapped person who might need some assistance.

The sad thing is that despite their clear policy, Cunard will to a point attempt to take care of you. However if you push this too far you'll go over the edge and nobody will give you the time of day and good luck getting those extra chairs then.

no sympathy here.

We have booked a guaranteed cabin in the past (more than once) but never once did it enter my head that we would (could?) have been allocated a disabled room.

Why ? Because I would like to think that people that need a disabled cabin would be allocated them instead; i.e. Cunard would not allocate them to people that do not require them.

Also, you often read that people who need one often can't get one (because they have all gone) and so can't go on their chosen cruise. So maybe the reason they have all gone is because Cunard are stupid enough to give them to able bodied people?

Well put TOTH. Also are Cunard going to allocate such an unpopular cabin (even amongst the disabled it seems) that they can't easily shift to multiple able passengers on a world cruise or are they going to allocate it to a little old lady from Florida who seems unlikely to make a fuss. I know which I would put my money on.

We have booked a guaranteed cabin in the past (more than once) but never once did it enter my head that we would (could?) have been allocated a disabled room.

Why ? Because I would like to think that people that need a disabled cabin would be allocated them instead; i.e. Cunard would not allocate them to people that do not require them.

Also, you often read that people who need one often can't get one (because they have all gone) and so can't go on their chosen cruise. So maybe the reason they have all gone is because Cunard are stupid enough to give them to able bodied people?

I know there are reports of people who can't cruise because there are no available cabins but why assume passengers were denied boarding on any particular cruise because an able bodied booking or GUA was given the cabin instead? I'm sure there's a timescale involved in allocation and if the cabin was required, then those allocated the cabin would be re allocated, as long as there was a spare cabin of similar or higher grade available.

If someone is prepared to pay for the disabled cabin in good time for the cruise, then I agree with you. Of course the cabin should go to those who need the facilities. However, if the available disabled cabin is above the grade for which a prospective disabled passenger is willing to pay for then why should Cunard be munificent and give an automatic upgrade because of disability?

Well put TOTH. Also are Cunard going to allocate such an unpopular cabin (even amongst the disabled it seems) that they can't easily shift to multiple able passengers on a world cruise or are they going to allocate it to a little old lady from Florida who seems unlikely to make a fuss. I know which I would put my money on.

No available Club cabins left at time of booking so GUA booking taken. Cabin assigned a month before sailing and it happens to be one of the two disabled cabin. Who takes it? Guess what, the GUA booking which is of the grade allocated.

By the way, I wasn't aware the company profiled their passengers to such an extent a little Floridian old lady [really?] was cherry picked for any particular cabin.

Being possibly naive, I put it down to cabin availability at grade booked and cabin allocated to grade booked.

Edited by Victoria2

Robbie, that made me smile. I am actually not that old. :D

I am small- in that I do not need the shower for ten-but I am not little.

I don't think that there was a conspiracy. We just drew the short end of the stick.

I truly appreciate the positive comments.

Cunard kept taking bookings and were probably surprised that the normal number of cancellations did not come through. I liken it to turning the tap on and then answering the phone for ten minutes. All of a sudden the bathtub overflows.

Babs, we have offered that as an option that would work for us.

After we booked there were still A-1 Guarantees being offered.

We have to wait and see what the UK office can do.

Bananavan, I'm really glad you can keep your chin up in these circumstances. I can say I'm not into conspiracy, the definition of which would suggest something unlawful or harmful had occurred, even though someone seems to have decided to mention it. I note you mention you booked your ticket some 18 months before the sailing, that seems a long time in advance to me and in my opinion long enough not to be the last passenger booking such an itinerary especially when you note that A1 guaranteed cabins opened up after your booking. Cunard often places great emphasis on priority given to date order bookings so why indeed did you get the short straw?. You are right to continue to query this as its clear you have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. Apologies for the profiling, it was but a figure of speech :)

Bananavan, I'm really glad you can keep your chin up in these circumstances. I can say I'm not into conspiracy, the definition of which would suggest something unlawful or harmful had occurred, even though someone seems to have decided to mention it. I note you mention you booked your ticket some 18 months before the sailing, that seems a long time in advance to me and in my opinion long enough not to be the last passenger booking such an itinerary especially when you note that A1 guaranteed cabins opened up after your booking. Cunard often places great emphasis on priority given to date order bookings so why indeed did you get the short straw?. You are right to continue to query this as its clear you have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. Apologies for the profiling, it was but a figure of speech :)

Robbie

No apologies needed.

I have a good sense of humor. In fact I joke (between my tears) that I will throw Roy Walker off the stage and do a one woman Joan Rivers act, complete with the most scathing sarcasm. I will be naming names. :) :) :)

I have appreciated your support.

Like any small kidney stone, this too shall pass.

Evana

Is this schadenfreude in action?

You have not added anything helpful to this discussion.

Ricki

Ricki, I think that this poster is mixing me up with an individual who posted earlier this year that they had booked a QG-7 and was upset that they actually got a QG-7. Now for the uninitiated, that is clearly an Accessible cabin. The poster was disappointed that they did not get a better cabin which had a bathtub.

That is not the same as my situation. I did not book an accessible cabin and then got upset because, oh, my goodness, that is what they gave to me.

My post is to inform others that this is what can happen. Despite there being a 2% chance that you will be assigned an accessible cabin, it can, and did, happen. And it does not mater that I am a World Club member who has cruised Cunard before, nor that I booked this in June of 2016.

Edited by bananavan

The "little old lady from Florida" made me smile as well !

As an aside. Thinking about myself staying in a disabled room a few weeks ago. It actually made me feel slightly embarrassed at the thought I was denying someone a room that might need it. My hotel was only booked about 2 days before my stay, so I doubt I was, but even so I still thought about it. So I really do see how you would feel in this situation.

I was going to let this one slide but the tone of this post is not one of concern, but is chastising.

We all get that it is a Guarantee, but most people have agreed that this is not what one might expect.

I will agree to disagree with your post.

ok I'm gonna be the bad guy here. People have said it but it seems you don't hear it.

A guarantee is a guarantee is a guarantee. Get over it. Next time pay attention to the small print, choose an actual room in some grade, or don't go! It's that simple. Your pragmatism is obvious.

If you follow these boards with regularity this issue comes up ALL THE TIME. other than one or two other times, I have not seen it.

Stop blaming Cunard and take responsibility for your own actions. I have not blamed Cunard, I have pointed out the danger of booking a Guarantee cabin.

Are you really going to let this ruin a great 93 day vacation. No more than I would let you.

If you're so able bodied why are you complaining. How about devoting your energy to say, maybe a handicapped person who might need some assistance. Why would this be an answer to my issue? Will the karma be good for me?

The sad thing is that despite their clear policy, Cunard will to a point attempt to take care of you. Why does this make you sad?

However if you push this too far you'll go over the edge and nobody will give you the time of day and good luck getting those extra chairs then. If I spoke to people in the same manner that you write, I can understand that being the case.

no sympathy here.

I was not asking for it. So you are safe

A guarantee is a guarantee is a guarantee. Get over it. Next time pay attention to the small print, choose an actual room in some grade, or don't go! It's that simple. If you follow these boards with regularity this issue comes up ALL THE TIME. Stop blaming Cunard and take responsibility for your own actions. Are you really going to let this ruin a great 93 day vacation. If you're so able bodied why are you complaining. How about devoting your energy to say, maybe a handicapped person who might need some assistance.

The sad thing is that despite their clear policy, Cunard will to a point attempt to take care of you. However if you push this too far you'll go over the edge and nobody will give you the time of day and good luck getting those extra chairs then.

no sympathy here.

Not very helpful and I think you are missing the important point. When an able bodied person books a guaranteed cabin it is not expected you will end up in a disabled cabin. 93 day’s is a long time to be in such a cabin. The important factor is that these cabins are few and are in demand by people that are not able bodied and need the special features of such a cabin

Evana I hope this matter gets resolved and you have only taken the positive comments onboard.

Have an amazing World Cruise. Most people only dream of such an adventure. I wanted to say how lucky you are, but I don’t think it’s down to luck, just down to hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like to think that people that need a disabled cabin would be allocated them instead; i.e. Cunard would not allocate them to people that do not require them.

So how long does Cunard have to keep turning down bookings for a disabled cabin in the hope a suitable customer pops up to buy it? A day before sailing, a week, a month, a year?

Or should they just sail with empty disabled cabins if they had no suitable customers.

At the end of the day guarantee is guarantee, you get what nobody else wants.

So how long does Cunard have to keep turning down bookings for a disabled cabin in the hope a suitable customer pops up to buy it? A day before sailing, a week, a month, a year?

Or should they just sail with empty disabled cabins if they had no suitable customers.

At the end of the day guarantee is guarantee, you get what nobody else wants.

I suppose it comes down to where you think the priority lies;

I think the priority should lie with a disabled/wheelchair user.

And you clearly think it should lie with the profits of a mega corporation such as Carnival.

TOTH I believe your right that the small number of disabled cabins should be kept open for disabled passengers at least until the last minute. Also aside from aesthetics and general suitability, the idea that an able passenger should get allocated such a cabin, without specific consent, when ergonomically such a cabin may not be suitable for a number of reasons and may even have detrimental effect on health is I believe open to question despite any guarantee booking. The argument that a Cunarder in such an unfortunate scenario should be aware of potential ergonomic pit falls in advance is I believe an unreasonable one. I would hope Cunard would listen to a passenger who felt such a cabin was not suitable for them especially over long cruises. Perhaps to avoid such an unfortunate situation these cabins should be kept open until the last minute and then only be sold separately and discounted further if necessary to any able passenger who was willing to be allocated such a cabin.

TOTH I believe your right that the small number of disabled cabins should be kept open for disabled passengers at least until the last minute. Also aside from aesthetics and general suitability, the idea that an able passenger should get allocated such a cabin, without specific consent, when ergonomically such a cabin may not be suitable for a number of reasons

When I stayed the other week in a hotel room that was a disabled room, I was specifically asked if that was okay ? (using a booking agency as it was for work). So they managed to check I was happy with it, so, as you say, why can't Cunard ?

I am surprised at the number of people on here saying it was the OP's fault somehow. Now maybe those people have no need of an adapted cabin (and neither do I) so they don't really care much about someone else who does ? They only seem to care about themselves.

The reviews of this cabin are not that bad,

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233816

It may not have been what the OP expected/wanted but it seems a bit of a stretch to suggest that it's going to cause a detriment to anyone's health.

Thanks for the warning bananavan, I have a guarantee Club balcony booked on QV next year so I might end up in the same cabin.

It may not have been what the OP expected/wanted but it seems a bit of a stretch to suggest that it's going to cause a detriment to anyone's health.

Thanks for the warning bananavan, I have a guarantee Club balcony booked on QV next year so I might end up in the same cabin.

I appreciate this is a subjective view but such a cabin would I believe be detrimental to my health. I'm 6'3 and whilst gym fit I carry an ongoing back problem. I have been unable to use lower sink units in the past for this reason and if essential amenities were indeed lower as some posters suggest, then I could not easily use such a cabin if allocated. An inch lower for things like a normal sink height really does makes all the difference. The fact that this issue has come to my attention would now prevent me from booking certain cruises as I can no longer rely on a guaranteed booking and I thank Bananavan or making readers on this thread aware of it. For those not aware of Bananvan's circumstances I think it could be an issue when they could not have been reasonably aware of the ergonomics of a disabled cabin.

With all due respect Host Hattie, this does not look that inviting.

Just had a mini cruise in this cabin Faults are 2.5 wardrobe's no sofa TV at a angle that 2 people can not see it from the bed the cabin is noisy as the entrance door needs to be refitted as there are gaps all the way round that lets in light and noise get the Steward to explain how to plug the kettle in and the ramp bar works, Good points its a Club cabin very nice ,Very handy 1 flight of stairs to the lido 2 flights to deck 10 and the outside, Very close to Commodore club and Pavilion pool Large balcony 2 reclining chairs but only 1 sunbed, Draws under the bed and under the T.V unit and on the side of the Bed and Dressing Table the cabin is about the same size as a Q3 Cabin

We will make the best of it. I am from the Sirhowy valley near the Vale of Glamorgan and spent a few childhood bank holiday chapel trips at the lovely exotic beaches of Barrybados, so I know how to make the most of stuff. :)

I wish you, and all here a Happy Christmas and I thank you, Hattie, in particular for the job that you do here.

Edited by bananavan

When I stayed the other week in a hotel room that was a disabled room, I was specifically asked if that was okay ? (using a booking agency as it was for work). So they managed to check I was happy with it, so, as you say, why can't Cunard ?

I am surprised at the number of people on here saying it was the OP's fault somehow. Now maybe those people have no need of an adapted cabin (and neither do I) so they don't really care much about someone else who does ? They only seem to care about themselves.

Not caring is an unfair comment.

In an ideal world, the adapted cabins would be left empty for literally last minute bookings although I would have thought those who have need of these cabins would not be booking a ninety day plus cruise on the last minute as they would have arrangements to make which might be more complex than for those who are not so disabled. In my experience, many of those who need disabled considerations book early and book the cabin they need because they have an understanding of these things.

The world however isn't ideal these days and realism says a few weeks prior to departure or more than a few on a cruise of such length and with so few cabins available at the Club grade, the cabin will be filled by passengers who have paid for that grade on a GUA especially as the next grades are sold out for many of the sectors and so, by default, the world cruise as a whole entity.

There could be some light at sea though as there are Club cabins free on some of the sectors, although not the whole cruise which is probably why bananavan was assigned the cabin she has, so I have my fingers crossed that once on-board, she can facilitate cabin moves on some of the sectors if she wants to.

With all due respect Host Hattie, this does not look that inviting.

Just had a mini cruise in this cabin Faults are 2.5 wardrobe's no sofa TV at a angle that 2 people can not see it from the bed the cabin is noisy as the entrance door needs to be refitted as there are gaps all the way round that lets in light and noise get the Steward to explain how to plug the kettle in and the ramp bar works, Good points its a Club cabin very nice ,Very handy 1 flight of stairs to the lido 2 flights to deck 10 and the outside, Very close to Commodore club and Pavilion pool Large balcony 2 reclining chairs but only 1 sunbed, Draws under the bed and under the T.V unit and on the side of the Bed and Dressing Table the cabin is about the same size as a Q3 Cabin

We will make the best of it. I am from the valley near the Vale of Glamorgan and spent a few childhood bank holiday chapel trips at the lovely exotic beaches of Barrybados, so I know how to make the most of stuff. :)

I wish you, and all here a Happy Christmas and I thank you, Hattie, in particular for the job that you do here.

Thank you, I hope you can make the best of it as this poster did -

My mother always books this room at least 3/4 times a year either on the QV or QE, surprised it wasn't booked but I imagine as QV is based in the Med disabled passengers prefer the convenience of Southampton embarkation. You will love it! No noise whatsoever from above! Lots of floor space, nice window next to bed, super balcony which has plenty of shade from the sun due to the overhang, or you can position your chairs/sun beds out to catch the rays usually late afternoon. As you are deck 8, you have the most privacy as you can look down and see everyone below you, and its only if you go out on the curve section a few balconies can see you, but its no bother at all. Lots of wardrobes, space around dressing table area and of course great bathroom, mid ship position bang next to lifts and stairs with Lido restaurant above you - great for bringing lunch down to eat on your balcony when busy around ship on sea days. You won't feel like you are in an adapted cabin at all, except there is a rather sensitive panic button on the wall behind the bed (behind pillows) which my father activated non stop for the first few days until he trained his arms to stay down! Have a fantastic time clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Hopefully you can get another chair or a sofa and make it more comfortable.

Have a wonderful trip, I look forward to reading about it.

We will make the best of it. I am from the valley near the Vale of Glamorgan and spent a few childhood bank holiday chapel trips at the lovely exotic beaches of Barrybados, so I know how to make the most of stuff. :)

Spoken like a good 'un. I will keep my fingers crossed you can sort out a cabin change every now and then if you decide you want to and look forward to your periodic reports on the cruise.