A few questions about Noordam

Dev'sMom

sharpsrus, good to know thanks! And I'm happy to see in one of your other posts that the Noordam is looking good despite the dry dock delay!

OlsSalt, I'm making a list of questions to ask ship services, and will definitely double-check on the almond milk.

beautyandtheblanc, I love it when the vacation countdown drops to double digits! Cheers to a wonderful cruise!:) :)

Okay' date=' good to know about the tap water and cruisetrain timing. I thought our train would arrive just before the lunch hour thinking it was the schedule shown on the Alaska RR website. We're doing the D5L cruise tour, but add a night in Fairbanks at the beginning just to start adjusting to the time difference sooner.[/quote']

That train from Anchorage to Seward was disappointing. The scenery was beautiful but we arrived really late. We had to sit on the trains and be walked by train car to the check in area. We sat on the train for at least an hour just waiting; and the suite priority boarding does NOTHING in Seward. We were frazzled by the time we actually got on the ship. Not a good experience. I wish I had sent my luggage on the HAL tour but taken the early morning train myself and arrived in Seward in time to see the town. Maybe we were at an unusual dock but there was NOTHING to walk to from there if we had had any time. Really industrial looking. The train pulled right up near the ship, but we just sat and waited.

• 4 weeks later...
That train from Anchorage to Seward was disappointing. The scenery was beautiful but we arrived really late. We had to sit on the trains and be walked by train car to the check in area. We sat on the train for at least an hour just waiting; and the suite priority boarding does NOTHING in Seward. We were frazzled by the time we actually got on the ship. Not a good experience. I wish I had sent my luggage on the HAL tour but taken the early morning train myself and arrived in Seward in time to see the town. Maybe we were at an unusual dock but there was NOTHING to walk to from there if we had had any time. Really industrial looking. The train pulled right up near the ship, but we just sat and waited.

I'm sorry to see these negative cruisetrain experiences. I hope HAL can figure out some way to expedite things.

Since my post, we've switched from D5L to D3L. This includes 1 night in Seward (instead of 0). So on the travel day to Seward, we're going to take the early train Gold Star on our own instead of the HAL coach that D3L uses for transport from Anchorage to Seward. Then we'll take a shuttle to the Windsong (I called ahead, they'll get us there from the train station) where we're spending the night. From there, we go to Exit Glacier. The rest of the day and the next morning we'll relax, dine, and explore more if we feel like it. And then we're going to embark just as early as HAL will let us! Our first cruise, so my family agreed we want to board early and start enjoying/exploring the ship right away :)

1.5 months out now, and I have another set of questions! Let me know if I should put them in the Alaska forum:

1*will there be hummus in the MDR or buffet? How is it?

2*our boarding pass says 2 gala nights! Which nights are they likely to be? The sea days (Gulf of Alaska at sea cruising day, Glacier Bay day, Inside Passage cruising day)?

3*where are good areas for sail away (day 1 and Alaska ports of call)? I guess there's no view from the Neptune Lounge so not going there.

4*what are your favorite specialty restaurant days? port night dinners or lunch/dinner sea days? We'll mulling trying each one once (including the pop up Sel De Mer which is only on Juneau day). How long might a dinner last? We'll reserve early enough to allow an early turn-in.

5*looks like wifi on the Noordam is still on minutes packages. I see in the Suites Perks list that wifi for a small fee is available in the Neptune Lounge. Is this the same as the wifi package or some separate thing we can pay for if we need to get a message or two out back home? Also, using the HAL app, can my husband and I message each other while we're both on the ship in different locations or will this require the paid minutes for texting instead?

Edited by Dev'sMom

• 2 months later...

Hello all. I was hoping to post a review in early July about our Alaska trip and my new camera. Unfortunately we couldn't go. I was diagnosed cancer in mid-June. I'm in the midst of chemotherapy now. I'm praying to be able to beat this terrible disease quickly. And re-book for 2020. I feel most terrible for my young son. I need to be here for him as he grows up. There's so much more I want to do with him. I'm praying to have many more quality years with him. He and I are best friends. Everything I do is either directly or indirectly for him. I can't even look at the camera right now. Once I get some good news about my health, I will feel comfortable planning again and learning the camera to capture the all-important memories with my son. I'm struggling emotionally for him as much as I am physically.

p.s. I'm re-posting this in my other longer threads where I got helpful replies to my questions, where I intended to report back.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this horrible disease. Take care of yourself and hug your sweet son. The ships will be here when you are healthy and ready to cruise again. Healing thoughts and prayers your way. :)

I am so sorry to hear this.

I hope you and your medical professionals can beat this horrific disease & you can enjoy a cruise in the future (yn)

Best wishes to you <3