New To Azamara-Any Surprises?

Bootman4U

We have been cruising since 1980, mostly on so-called "mass market" vessels so our Quest cruise in October 2019 from Hong Kong to Singapore will see us on the smallest ship we have ever booked.

We like the itinerary and I am anxious to return to VN since my last "visit" in 1972-73. We will follow the cruise with several days in Japan.

We are not "foodies" but understand the food (and service) aboard are good. We booked a Club World Owners Suite which, I believe, comes with some sort of "butler" (or similar) service and wonder if we will use that much but you never know.

Is there anything I should be aware of that we are, perhaps, not accustomed to on this ship?

I apologize if this post seems to be some sort of nuisance but "research" only goes so far and thank you in advance.

Let me add to my above post. I have just spent considerable time treading a variety of other threads, many of which compare Oceania to Azamara. We cancelled an Oceania cruise in order to take the one we are on and from what I've read, and given our own interests, it sounds as if we made the right decision.

Let me add to my above post. I have just spent considerable time treading a variety of other threads, many of which compare Oceania to Azamara. We cancelled an Oceania cruise in order to take the one we are on and from what I've read, and given our own interests, it sounds as if we made the right decision.

I think you did. Maybe I should have let you be surprised, but Owner's Suite guests (and Ocean Suite guests) are invited to a wonderful dinner called Best of the Best with the four senior ship officers. I think you will find this very special.

As a suite guest, you can dine in the two specialty restaurants at no additional charge. I'd advise you to find the reservations desk right after you board to ensure you get reservations for the evenings you want.

It’s also very nice to have your dinner served at the dining table in your suite by your butler, you can choose from the speciality restaurant menu’s and also invite a couple of guests to join you.

I agree with Marinaro, the Best of the Best dinner is not to be missed.

Edited by Azamarajunkie

I don't think you'll have too many surprises except just how friendly the ship is, from Captain and crew to fellow guests.

If you are used to larger ships you'll love how close you are taken to the ports. Ho Chi Minh is a classic example. Right to the heart up the Saigon River with its twists and turns. You'd be miles away on one of the larger ships. Same with Hong Kong. Docked in Kowloon.

Enjoy!

Phil

I also think you’ll love how friendly everyone is -passengers, crew and officers. The service is wonderful, everyone wants to make sure you have a great cruise.

Also watch out for White Night - it’s a deck party with a wonderful barbecue. Most people wear something white, tho’ it’s not obligatory. When you’re booking your dinner reservations, you might want to ask which night is White Night, so you don’t miss it. It’s really good fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did a lot of research before my first Azamara Cruise, and one thing I did not know until my first port day but was a pleasant surprise is that Azamara has local tourism representatives come aboard the ship in each port so you can get maps, ask questions, etc. Very helpful and between that and the shuttle buses Azamara runs in many ports, as I prepared for my second Azamara cruise I was less concerned about advance planning on how to navigate the port on my own, especially when not docked right in town.

Also, the Dim Sum brunch they have (usually on a sea day) was a great surprise and not to be missed! One of our favorite dining experiences on Azamara.

Another surprise - they sometimes have fireworks after the Azamazing evening. We missed this on our first cruise because we didn't attend the event, our cabin was on the opposite side of the fireworks and we didn't have time to throw on our clothes and get up on deck to view them.