Bermuda which ship?

DCLCrazy

Although all in the Jewel Class, the Jewel and the Jade have some slight differences from the Pearl and the Gem, mainly on Deck 7 where the secondary lounge and the shops are located....reverse of each other. The Jewel and the Jade have the layout of the older Dawn class, with the shops aft...

In addition the Pearl and the Gem have the nice Bridge Viewing Room on Deck 11....

There are other minor differences...but that is what makes them interesting to repeat cruiser's...:)

Sorry, my personal experience of sailing on all three of them in the past two years showed that they are all basically the same. The Jade was just renovated to remove its motif from being a Hawaiian cruise ship as well.

POA is significantly smaller and has a smaller passenger capacity than the Jewel class ships. POA is 80,439 Gross Register Tonnage, versus approximately 93,530 for the Jewel class ships. POA has a double occupancy capacity of 2186, while the Jewel class ships hold approximately 2,400.

While POA and the Jewel class may share some interior design features, they are definitely completely different ships. One big difference is that POA doesn't have a Haven, while the four Jewel class ships do.

In terms of the exterior design, look a the picture of the POA versus the Jewel class pictures. The forward area of POA looks nothing like the Jewel class ships. https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship .

As I said, NCL bought POA's hull from a bankrupt company and completed the build. The Jewel class ships were NCL designs and builds from day one.

Hamilton has a 720 foot length limitation for ships entering its harbor...there are no current ships in NCL's fleet since the Norwegian Crown left, that can sail into Hamilton...(or St. George, which is even more restricted).

NCL Holding's Oceania and Regent Seven Seas do have smaller ships that can dock there....

Yes NCL has committed the smaller ships of Oceania and Regent - which is what I said without naming the other lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

POA is significantly smaller and has a smaller passenger capacity than the Jewel class ships.

Keep to your arguments about ships you've never been on.

As one who has cruised the Jade, Gem, and POA in the past two years, they are virtually the same to passengers.

Sheesh.

In 2019 the Gem and the Escape will be going on the same trip to Bermuda. I have only been on the Jade and the Pride of America. Does anyone have any pros or cons to either the Gem or the Escape? I do have an 8 year old daughter who will be 10 at the time of sailing. She was not a huge fan of the Jade. Very small kids area with not much to do. Does anyone know if one ship or the other is more kid friendly? The Jade didn’t even have slides at the pool. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you live closer to Boston or New York?

The Gem which will be home ported in Boston, does have a slide and two main pools. I have not been on the Escape, so I cannot comment on that one.

Keep to your arguments about ships you've never been on.

As one who has cruised the Jade, Gem, and POA in the past two years, they are virtually the same to passengers.

Sheesh.

Ships I've never been on . Yes, I haven't been on the POA but I have been on the Gem and Jewel many times and i can certainly read a deck plan well enough to know POA is different. Please tell me where the Haven Suites are located on POA? Where's the POA's thermal suite?

I suppose you also don't believe NCL's statements about Gross Resister Tonnage and passenger capacity.

You might want to familiarize yourself with a famous statement made by the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

By the way, were you elected to represent the opinions of everyone who has sailed those ships? "They are virtually the same to passengers". Virtually the same to you maybe, but who are the other passengers you're speaking for?

Edited by njhorseman

Ships I've never been on . Yes, I haven't been on the POA but I have been on the Gem and Jewel many times and i can certainly read a deck plan well enough to know POA is different. Please tell me where the Haven Suites are located on POA? Where's the POA's thermal suite?

I suppose you also don't believe NCL's statements about Gross Resister Tonnage and passenger capacity.

You might want to familiarize yourself with a famous statement made by the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

By the way, were you elected to represent the opinions of everyone who has sailed those ships? "They are virtually the same to passengers". Virtually the same to you maybe, but who are the other passengers you're speaking for?

I have no interest in engaging someone who (a) believes arguing with strangers about experiences he has never had is worthwhile and especially (b) is obviously the type to whom having the last word is clearly the mist important thing in his life.

There's another thread about insufferable tablemates, it seems like some of those people have dined with you. What a boor.

To passengers the three ships are essentially the same. Period.

Now live out your fantasy, you know you can't control that urge.