Ports after the hurricane

sweets2323

Puerto Rico, St.Maarten, and Grand Turk were all devastated by the hurricanes, but have steadily begun welcoming ships back, with St.Maarten being the slowest of all three. Some attractions will be limited on SXM and PR, but the locals are working as fast as they can to rebuild. The ship excursions are your best bet to be safe, as they will not take anyone to an area that isn't ready to welcome visitors. The cruise line and the islands are in constant talks, so the excursions will be based around where the island is ready to accommodate people.

Like stated above, the later your cruise is, the better you'll be. I imagine you won't have a bad time, but just keep in mind that the islands are still doing their best to recover, and that certain attractions that you see online for each port (Maho Beach being the best example) are not in the best of shape right now, and will not replicate what you see online from cruisers who cruised before the hurricanes. Just go with lower expectations, and patience, and maybe you'll find yourself in love with the people and their resilience. Have a great cruise!

I feel like all the ports were going to won’t be be because of the hurricane.

I’ve never been to any of the ports.

What’s your input

PR

St Maarten

St Kitts

Grand Turks

While not 100% yet, reports indicate they are coming along nicely.

I feel like all the ports were going to won’t be be because of the hurricane.

I’ve never been to any of the ports.

What’s your input

PR

St Maarten

St Kitts

Grand Turks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on St. Kitts the week of December 16th, and there is no sign that there was any hurricane there at all. I I can't speak to the other ports since St. Kitts i as far north as we went.

I received a call today from our cigar maker, Don Collins Cigars, headquartered in Old San Juan. His comments to me were Old San Juan is open for business. Out in the rural areas, crops are doing well, but of course, many areas still remain without power.;)

I just read a post from a cruiser who had recently been to three of these (not Grand Turks)....they indicated that there was plenty to do and they were happy they went. I am also on a March 3 cruise to these ports--- I am excited to keep pumping money into these economies. They need the money and even more they need good publicity. These little islands are depending on us all to help them get back to what we remember and/or expect from them. Super excited to get back to the Caribbean!

We have a cruise booked for June that goes to Puerto Rico and St. Maarten. We've been there before, but not since the hurricane. We know that some of the beaches and businesses will not be ready, even by then, but we do want to go there and we feel it's important to spend money there to help those folks get back on their feet and get these beautiful locations back up and running. I've seen the trip reports and it looks like there is plenty of transportation, restaurants and things to do to keep everyone happy with these ports.