Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Shanghai was spectacular! We were here 16 years ago and can not believe the change! Viking docked in a wonderful place and the shuttle bus was helpful. Watching the night come alive with the glittering lights will always be a highlighted memory from this cruise. Eaches’ pictures are great but the panorama can’t be captured.

The Christening was hugely disappointing. We did not feel part of the festivities.

You are correct- no personal involvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We skipped the christening, opting for the fabulous Shanghai acrobats. I couldn’t think of any circumstance under which we would enjoy the self-serving ceremony and I appear to have guessed right.

So far, most of the feedback has been negative.

Apropos of Shanghai, I have it on good authority that the American crew members were not permitted to get off the ship.

Thank you so much for the great pictures . What a view from the ship in the evening.

So sorry that the naming event was such a debacle for many passengers.

Good tidings to all of you in the days ahead .

Hope the experiences of ports of call you will visit continue to be enriching for each of you.

Thank you so much for the great pictures . What a view from the ship in the evening.

So sorry that the naming event was such a debacle for many passengers.

Good tidings to all of you in the days ahead .

Hope the experiences of ports of call you will visit continue to be enriching for each of you.

Yes, I am truly sorry to hear that the ceremony was not for the WCruisers as a PR event. I understand that PR events serve a necessary purpose, but boy was this billed wrong! But Eaches you pictures are gorgeous. Have never been to Shanghai and this puts it on my bucket list. Don’t think we could walk 4000 miles, though.

We looked over all of the excursions and picked our “must do” then looked at all of the included ones and compared them with the optonal ones for those ports. We booked the optional excursions first using our shore excursion credits. We have always traveled on our own so we don’t book anything in big cities. In the smaller ports we booked included just to make sure we didn’t get shut out.

Once we got on board, we investigated each port to see where we docked and if there were shuttle buses. Then we cancelled excursions when we decided to go on our own.

I agree that many of the included excursions are just driving around in a bus so are not worth taking. I have sometimes been able to find out more details about excursions which helps me to choose what to do.

We have stayed in hotels in LA and Sydney and will again in Sài Gòn. We have also booked some private tours when that seemed right.

I don’t know the perks on the next WC but we got huge credits which were originally for shorex, spa and store but they merged them so we are spending most of ours on wine, plus hair salon (which is insanely high price but necessary). We we won’t have to spend anything out of pocket on the ship so there’s that.

Before you board, make sure to print out your excursions and restaurant bookings as they are only available by segment once you board. We have been complaining about that so perhaps that will change.

Thanks so much, Wagnerite. This is helpful. There are a few listed for next WC that are must do for us, but many, many are just bus tours, which my husband almost, but not quite always, refuses to do. I think they will add more excursions as we go forward. Many ports just have an included excursion for now. And next year’s WC goes to many new and different ports from this year’s, so I imagine they are still putting things together.

We skipped the christening, opting for the fabulous Shanghai acrobats. I couldn’t think of any circumstance under which we would enjoy the self-serving ceremony and I appear to have guessed right.

So far, most of the feedback has been negative.

Apropos of Shanghai, I have it on good authority that the American crew members were not permitted to get off the ship.

You are correct - we should have done anything but go to that Christening. Even dinner at a local restaurant would have been better than go to that self serving excuse of a Christening.

I think the company owes us an explanation on why their World Cruise customers where subjected to that mess of a celebration. The company had one mission and that was to announce their partnership with the Chinese money lords and we where just there for window dressing.

I am "a glass half full" kind of guy by nature but the comments on the ceremony ring true. The emphasis was certainly on the Viking-Chinese Bank link up. The Viking CEO announced the planned increase of Viking Ocean ships from 5 to 16 and I will be surprised if they are not underwritten by Chinese loans. The Viking Sun may have been the first to sail into Shanghai but this city is a future hub for more Viking ships.

The entertainers (singers, dancers, orchestra) faced chilling temperatures and strong winds but performed well. True, the passengers were essentially "managed" at a local facility rather than integrated part of the festivities. It was what it was.:cool: But, off to Hong Kong.

I am "a glass half full" kind of guy by nature but the comments on the ceremony ring true. The emphasis was certainly on the Viking-Chinese Bank link up. The Viking CEO announced the planned increase of Viking Ocean ships from 5 to 16 and I will be surprised if they are not underwritten by Chinese loans. The Viking Sun may have been the first to sail into Shanghai but this city is a future hub for more Viking ships.

The entertainers (singers, dancers, orchestra) faced chilling temperatures and strong winds but performed well. True, the passengers were essentially "managed" at a local facility rather than integrated part of the festivities. It was what it was.:cool: But, off to Hong Kong.

16????? We heard 10 last January from the Captain of the Sky.

16????? We heard 10 last January from the Captain of the Sky.

Media reports are .. 4 existing ships, a separate order for 6 (including Orion and Jupiter) placed some time ago, and a new order for 6 more just announced. These extra 6 for delivery from 2024 onwards. All from same shipyard.

We heartily encourage future passengers to stay on the ship when they receive a trumped up invitation to attend a celebration off-site. Read on:

Mr. Torstein Hagen

Ms. Karine Hagen

Captain Atle Knutsen

Mr. Sujith Mohan

As well as looking forward to the event for weeks before sailing, we received a lovely formal invitation to the Viking Sun Christening. Little did we know that it was our first UNinvitation to an event in our lives. To add insult to injury, new clothing and jewelry was purchased in Shanghai because we were told a half of a dozen times or more by the Cruise Director and in the Viking Daily that it was an "elegant" event. Instead, this was nothing more than a scam to get us off the ship that we paid in excess of $114,000 to be on to not even be in the bleacher seats to witness the most momentous event of the Inaugural World Cruise we selected. We were herded onto buses, having to step aside for the "valued" guests, to an off-site, low class venue where we were not served in any way. We "enjoyed" lousy, largely unedible food in a combination of family style and long buffet lines because you wanted us out of our dining rooms. There was cheap wine and warm water and juice with no ice and only one glass per person. Despite all this, we still waited excitedly for the event. The event appeared on a few TVs that were postage stamp size from where we were sitting and we could see little and hear nothing. Although this was better than the Viking brand of internet, there is better media coverage at your average local sports bar. We are sure you enjoyed it very much and we knew that every management crew member (because they were not with us) and many members of the press were truly enjoying the event, a real kick in the gut to those of us who have made a major monetary and time commitment to this Viking voyage. Finally, word got out before the event was over that there was a few buses waiting and a mass stampede ensued. All ticket groupings were ignored and there was pushing and shoving to get on the buses because people could not wait to get out of there. We have photos that are suitable for #myvikingstory.

We have since heard that there was not room for everyone so some people (who didn't arrive until 7:45, by the way) were shuttled off to another room. It makes the poor planning and lack of due diligence by Shore Excursions for this world cruise to look not quite so bad.

We waited a couple of days to write this for two reasons. First we wanted to see if we would be less angry in the light of day. This has not happened because there is nothing you can sugarcoat or excuse but mostly we waited for the second reason. We waited for you. There has been not one single note of acknowledgement or apology let alone compensation for what we endured and lost since this debacle happened two days ago. Organizations should not do world cruises who do not know what world class behavior is and the importance and impact of their paying guests. We suppose you wish to retain your #1 ranking, but it is going to be difficult.

We were lucky because, when we told some people we were skipping the christening for the acrobats, all of them said “Good choice!” This reinforced our decision and it turned out quite well.

The rest of the way we are tweaking our itinerary, opting out of some included excursions in favour(British spelling to appear sophisticated) of independent exploration.

I’m not happy that in Hong Kong, Sài Gòn, and Bangkok we are far from the centre(!) and that we are on our own if we wish to be independent. That said, the trip is not arranged for our personal benefit, but for Viking logistics (cost?) and the majority of passengers who take ship-sponsored excursions.

I would prefer a free ride into town but a few dollars won’t break us so why not? I might have taken the included excursion and just bolted but there is no room.

We are used to traveling on our own so it’s not difficult to make these arrangements, but of course I wouldn’t be staying two hours from town.

Still, we did have one previous cruise so we can’t be surprised by any of this. I am keeping a plus-minus account of the trip and I’ll let that and vợ tôi (my wife) determine our future travel plans.

We were lucky because, when we told some people we were skipping the christening for the acrobats, all of them said “Good choice!” This reinforced our decision and it turned out quite well.

The rest of the way we are tweaking our itinerary, opting out of some included excursions in favour(British spelling to appear sophisticated) of independent exploration.

I’m not happy that in Hong Kong, Sài Gòn, and Bangkok we are far from the centre(!) and that we are on our own if we wish to be independent. That said, the trip is not arranged for our personal benefit, but for Viking logistics (cost?) and the majority of passengers who take ship-sponsored excursions.

I would prefer a free ride into town but a few dollars won’t break us so why not? I might have taken the included excursion and just bolted but there is no room.

We are used to traveling on our own so it’s not difficult to make these arrangements, but of course I wouldn’t be staying two hours from town.

Still, we did have one previous cruise so we can’t be surprised by any of this. I am keeping a plus-minus account of the trip and I’ll let that and vợ tôi (my wife) determine our future travel plans.

hello Wagnerite

It's raining in Brisbane, so I don't have much to do outside - and can't look away from the Viking Ocean CC Forum at the moment. I am reading each of the World Cruise posts with interest to see if there is any reaction from Viking executives. All that aside - and I don't know where you will be berthed - but if you can get onto the Hong Kong MTR / subway system that might be your saviour. It is a really excellent subway system. You may already know all of this ... but FYI just in case;

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hongkong/transportation/metro-subway-map.htm

http://www.feetonforeignlands.com/2016/04/18/using-hong-kongs-mtr-system/

Hi! Thanks. We have been to Hong Kong on several occasions and are quite comfortable on the MTR. I’m using the map now to see if it runs to the malls where the shuttles run and how many changes are required to get to Tsim Sha Tsui, Central and Admiralty.

Regardless, we have a booking at our favorite restaurant and will enjoy our time.

• Members
We have to agree with Jim. “Jeep Adventure” really means “bumping along in the back of a modified Toyota pickup trick.”

I got the chance to do a 30 minute SCUBA dive on the reef trip ($95 more) and it was well worth it to have the opportunity to dive the wall of the GBR!

Same evening we took the Candlelit Forest excursion and had an absolutely amazing time at “Flames of the Forest”. [Check out their website.]

All in all, I think the “excursion desk team” is the only weak link and I hope they improve with time.

Tom

hello Wagnerite

It's raining in Brisbane, so I don't have much to do outside - and can't look away from the Viking Ocean CC Forum at the moment. I am reading each of the World Cruise posts with interest to see if there is any reaction from Viking executives. All that aside - and I don't know where you will be berthed - but if you can get onto the Hong Kong MTR / subway system that might be your saviour. It is a really excellent subway system. You may already know all of this ... but FYI just in case;

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hongkong/transportation/metro-subway-map.htm

http://www.feetonforeignlands.com/2016/04/18/using-hong-kongs-mtr-system/

No reaction to the mess they created, not one word! I wish that there was more of a reaction from the people who paid good money for both this WC and the next . What are you waiting for ?

Are the quilt makers still meeting? Would love to see what they are creating. Read a blog by WC cruiser who went to a village at last stop which is known for their silk making.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No reaction to the mess they created, not one word! I wish that there was more of a reaction from the people who paid good money for both this WC and the next . What are you waiting for ?

OK, here’s at least an observation. I just went onto the 2019 WC page to check availability. When I booked in early January, all the suites were sold out except owner’s Highest level I could book was PV. Owner’ suite, I noticed, sold about a week ago. When I checked this morning, the owner’s was available, as were other level suites and some of the lower level rooms that had previously been sold out. I know people make a reservation and have a week to put down the deposit, and so sometimes these categories fall open again. But the suites have been consistently marked sold out for two months. This morning there are openings. Coincidence? As for us, we are watching and waiting. Final payment isn’t until July 9. But for this kind of money, I think we all expect better. At least next year’s WC won’t subject us to a naming ceremony.

FWIW - apparently not everyone was as distressed about this event as worldcruisr. I was beginning to rethink my thoughts about Viking, when I read a review of this event in another group. The person raved about it - it was like night and day different. I've encouraged her to come over here and post her thoughts for balance, but of course, she's on the ship and a half a world away in a different time zone.

I have no doubt that worldcruisr had a horrible time, but I think those of us who are long time followers of Cruise Critic have come to learn that what one person loves, another hates, so I'm willing to give this some time to settle.

I do hope that Viking reaches out to worldcruisr and that his/her issues are resolved. Seems like most times Viking makes things right, but sometimes they do drop the ball - they are not alone in that. I'm not a rose colored glasses person, but I do tend to look for the positive. That said, I would much prefer to be at the event the person in the other group was at, to the one described above. It would be interesting to hear from more people. She posted photos and it looked nice, but I wasn't there, so I'm not making any judgements. I just wanted to put some balance into the equation.

FWIW - apparently not everyone was as distressed about this event as worldcruisr. I was beginning to rethink my thoughts about Viking, when I read a review of this event in another group. The person raved about it - it was like night and day different. I've encouraged her to come over here and post her thoughts for balance, but of course, she's on the ship and a half a world away in a different time zone.

I have no doubt that worldcruisr had a horrible time, but I think those of us who are long time followers of Cruise Critic have come to learn that what one person loves, another hates, so I'm willing to give this some time to settle.

I do hope that Viking reaches out to worldcruisr and that his/her issues are resolved. Seems like most times Viking makes things right, but sometimes they do drop the ball - they are not alone in that. I'm not a rose colored glasses person, but I do tend to look for the positive. That said, I would much prefer to be at the event the person in the other group was at, to the one described above. It would be interesting to hear from more people. She posted photos and it looked nice, but I wasn't there, so I'm not making any judgements. I just wanted to put some balance into the equation.

Sorry Cyber Kat but what about Eches?

It seems that not only worldcruisr was upset.

Sorry Cyber Kat but what about Eches?

It seems that not only worldcruisr was upset.

I have also read about the night on two individual blogs, and what a let down it was. In the end, and I want to be careful how I say this, I don’t think it is about whether people had a good time at the “screening” of the event Viking provided in a building across the street. I think the issue being raised is that Viking was not transparent about what it was doing, and in fact advertised an elegant evening with entertainment. Apparently it was sort of that once removed. A few have suggested that Viking needed to get people off the ship so it could entertain Chinese backers onboard. Ok, fine, if that is even true. But Viking should have told All world cruisers that ahead of time, and provided something elsewhere for them, lunch, dinner, whatever. I think it is transparency that is the issue here. But if I was on that cruise, and thought I was going to be part of the festivities, as in Los Angeles, and was shuttled over to watch on the big screen, I would be furious. Especially after the special invitation!

Obviously I am just relying on the views expressed by others, but I think there is a fairly common theme from most who have written about the experience. These are extracts from a blog by pax on board...

While the building is only a five minute walk from the ship, the port authority required us to take a bus there despite the fact we could have walked across the dock where the VIP guests were arriving and through a door to access the building. The buses took about twenty minutes to deliver a load of passengers and return for the next load. As a result, it was several hours before everyone got transferred to the venue. It was necessary for us to eat elsewhere so Viking could host 300 VIP’s on the ship.

Returning to the ship was so chaotic that the Port Authority relented and let us walk home. The consensus was that we would have been better off eating on the ship and watching from there. Viking put out an email hyping the event. The overwhelming majority of passengers would tell a different story!

And I agree, a little transparency goes a long way.

We have 3 Viking cruises booked for late 2018 and mid 2019. I have emailed some of the information which has been written about the event to our Viking agent in Sydney for her information. I know it is nothing to do with her, but I do want her / her manager to know there is a depth of concern being felt and expressed / written about in places such as CC Forum.

Further to earlier post ... I had a chat to our Viking agent. She said she was unaware of any complaints specific to the christening ceremony which were being discussed in this CC forum thread, and / or the other thread more directly related to the christening ceremony. I didn't pursue the issue any further with her. In any case, I hope those on board who feel let down get some satisfaction in due course. Regards, Frank