Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Twitchly I would have to say there are a good number of Philipino crew but not most. In addition to the Philippines crew there are a fair amount of Indonesian, Chinese, Mexican, Indian, and European. A thoroughly diverse crew that seem to work very well together.

Twitchly I would have to say there are a good number of Philipino crew but not most. In addition to the Philippines crew there are a fair amount of Indonesian, Chinese, Mexican, Indian, and European. A thoroughly diverse crew that seem to work very well together.

Sounds a bit like Gene Roddenberry's vision of the Starship Enterprise. Maybe there is hope for us yet!

Thanks for all the time you have spent sharing your experiences with those of us who will likely never have the chance. I have enjoyed following your adventures.

Great bartenders from Macedonia too. We love the international crew. We were very sorry not to get a second day in Manila but we’re even more disappointed for the crew! Viking did a great deal to make the day special for them....thanks Viking...a happy crew makes Happy passengers.

We do have a great international crew/family. They say 40% Filipino and around 30% Indonesian. Probably India is next, then the former Yugoslavia plus Albania. Quite a few South Africans and the rest are from all over with just one each from Trinidad & Tobago, Thailand and Myanmar. All are helpful, friendly, cheerful and clean, not to mention trustworthy, loyal and reverent LOL. We had some turnover in Manila and will swap out about 100 in Singapore. It’s amazing how many know our names and preferences! So far for us this has been the best thing about the cruise. I think Viking is pretty nice to the crew, at least from what I’ve heard.

It has gotten noticeably cooler since leaving Manila. Around 10C/50F and cloudy. Actually feels great after all the weeks of tropical heat and humidity. Due to dock city center Shanghai around Midnight tonight. Should be a very dramatic location and we have a special event in conjunction with the official christening of the ship. I am sure we will have comments and Eaches pictures soon. Till then.....:cocktail::tropical-drink::beer-mug:

I must say, I have wondered about booking excursion ps for our 128 day WC in January. There are literally dozens of days to book. I have read on another recent thread that the wish list is now operative to book excursions, so you can populate it early and then go to it to book and select times. I will try that next week when our homelands cruise opens up for booking. That would make the WC easier, but still it would take a long time. So yes, world cruisers, let us know your experiences with booking shore excursions—after the christening today(?) of course.

Yes, just docking city center. Could hardly be any more spectacular. As to the excursions, Viking pushes for you to book everything in advance. We did but have made innumerable changes by cancelling lots of stuff, re booking some, and doing our own thing instead of included bus rides. Your mileage may vary. Off to see China!!:cool:

Our first cruise with Viking was their river cruise in China-still one of our best trips-it is only 4 days on the river and then time in Shanghai, Beijing, Xian and a wonderful add-on of Hong Kong and the Li River. Everything was a highlight so I hope all you RTW's are enjoying Shanghai. Viking does know some of the great things to see and do there and at any other stops in China.

We did not attend the Viking party so others will have to offer their take on it. We had such a spectacular time in Shanghai that we bagged the idea of going when the bus boarding (to go one block) started backing up . China put blocks in the way which caused a few issues. It was originally due to be a short walk from the ship to the venue but then someone required it to be done by bus. As you might guess, it is hard to make something "special" when it involves 900 people and busses. Shanghai exceeded our expectations. We have a port side cabin so had the spectacular night view of Shanghai two nights. Simply amazing. And had the very best Peking Duck ever at the Peninsula Hotel. Walked 4,000 miles all over the city too! :cool:

I must say, I have wondered about booking excursion ps for our 128 day WC in January. There are literally dozens of days to book. I have read on another recent thread that the wish list is now operative to book excursions, so you can populate it early and then go to it to book and select times. I will try that next week when our homelands cruise opens up for booking. That would make the WC easier, but still it would take a long time. So yes, world cruisers, let us know your experiences with booking shore excursions—after the christening today(?) of course.

We looked over all of the excursions and picked our “must do” then looked at all of the included ones and compared them with the optonal ones for those ports. We booked the optional excursions first using our shore excursion credits. We have always traveled on our own so we don’t book anything in big cities. In the smaller ports we booked included just to make sure we didn’t get shut out.

Once we got on board, we investigated each port to see where we docked and if there were shuttle buses. Then we cancelled excursions when we decided to go on our own.

I agree that many of the included excursions are just driving around in a bus so are not worth taking. I have sometimes been able to find out more details about excursions which helps me to choose what to do.

We have stayed in hotels in LA and Sydney and will again in Sài Gòn. We have also booked some private tours when that seemed right.

I don’t know the perks on the next WC but we got huge credits which were originally for shorex, spa and store but they merged them so we are spending most of ours on wine, plus hair salon (which is insanely high price but necessary). We we won’t have to spend anything out of pocket on the ship so there’s that.

Before you board, make sure to print out your excursions and restaurant bookings as they are only available by segment once you board. We have been complaining about that so perhaps that will change.

I second Wagnerite about printing out your bookings. I had a complete list at home but neglected to pack it. Thought it would be easy to get on board. You do not have future access other than a few days. We have had times changed from what we remember booking but had no proof. If you want to cancel something and replace with a self tour, you need to know far enough out to be able to cancel without penalty. All things we are learning. Lots of good info on this board.

We did not attend the Viking party so others will have to offer their take on it. We had such a spectacular time in Shanghai that we bagged the idea of going when the bus boarding (to go one block) started backing up . China put blocks in the way which caused a few issues. It was originally due to be a short walk from the ship to the venue but then someone required it to be done by bus. As you might guess, it is hard to make something "special" when it involves 900 people and busses. Shanghai exceeded our expectations. We have a port side cabin so had the spectacular night view of Shanghai two nights. Simply amazing. And had the very best Peking Duck ever at the Peninsula Hotel. Walked 4,000 miles all over the city too! :cool:

hello again Jim ... did you just stay on board ? If so did you see / hear any of the ceremony ? Cheers, Frank

hello again Jim ... did you just stay on board ? If so did you see / hear any of the ceremony ? Cheers, Frank

Hi Frank.

Yes, stayed aboard. There were a few of us. Had the big screen in the Theatre showing the dockside event. Quite the production. I believe someone has posted a link. If not, it is supposed to be up on Viking website. A welcome sea day enroute to Hong Kong..:cool:

Hi Frank.

Yes, stayed aboard. There were a few of us. Had the big screen in the Theatre showing the dockside event. Quite the production. I believe someone has posted a link. If not, it is supposed to be up on Viking website. A welcome sea day enroute to Hong Kong..:cool:

Yep - saw the video. Good to know you saw the ceremony whilst on-board. Hong Kong is another fantastic place to visit. All the best Jim, regards Frank

IMG_8806.thumb.jpg.d8dfe63fc7e4ba9ecbcbf396b0149ec4.jpg

IMG_8801.thumb.jpg.eebc971c5faf56f9495a8c3014482703.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_8798.thumb.jpg.d6ac9007a2f4e44263f8372ee771da7a.jpg

IMG_8832.thumb.jpg.e886476045c3b803b4f0e2918861d66f.jpg

IMG_8840.thumb.jpg.5b55e5400ef9e9261a1984f40e0a3236.jpg

IMG_8825.thumb.jpg.dce2b279f86042d1d3c1d9a595dfd7b2.jpg

Shanghai was spectacular! We were here 16 years ago and can not believe the change! Viking docked in a wonderful place and the shuttle bus was helpful. Watching the night come alive with the glittering lights will always be a highlighted memory from this cruise. Eaches’ pictures are great but the panorama can’t be captured.

The Christening was hugely disappointing. We did not feel part of the festivities.

Shanghai was spectacular! We were here 16 years ago and can not believe the change! Viking docked in a wonderful place and the shuttle bus was helpful. Watching the night come alive with the glittering lights will always be a highlighted memory from this cruise. Eaches’ pictures are great but the panorama can’t be captured.

The Christening was hugely disappointing. We did not feel part of the festivities.

Glad you enjoyed Shanghai. We had a similar observation on another Cruise line. I couldn't believe the modern city. From afar it looks like out of a science fiction movie with several of the modern buildings.

Someone just posted on a separate thread and seemed very upset with the event. This is a link to their post. It is their first post on Cruise Critic but nevertheless it is their thoughts.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2609725

Keith