Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

OK. I feel like included excursions are like Hampton Inn breakfast. If they were wonderful, they wouldn’t be included. That said, don’t include them if they’re worthless. Yesterday we took included in KL and it was fine. Photo ops, commentary and a museum. I’m still trying to work out the last weeks of the cruise. I have to find great food in Mumbai and Goa. Indian crew members can probably help.

Don't know if you can do it but we had a buffet lunch at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai on a Seabourn tour. It made me an Indian food fan. The best buffet (and maybe best food) I have ever had.

• Like 1

Well if the crud is widespread, you might as well join us in India.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_2797.thumb.jpg.44ce61a3f9d06a9456a251c209b9a354.jpg

Tonight Chef Clinton prepares surf and turf for all who attended the cookout on the pool area of the Viking Sun during their World Cruise . The food under a Full Moon is just one of those moments you’ll never forget. Thank You Chef Clinton for all you do for us!

IMG_2798.thumb.jpg.859501d33f23a13ad844a8ac67218340.jpg

Lovely! I’m jealous that you all get to eat outdoors. I imagine it will be too cold on our cruise to do that.

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts on India. I spent a month there long ago. There’s no place on earth quite like it.

Another great job Eaches. Are you going on one of the Taj trips?

Eaches, your pictures are wonderful. If they will allow you, could you please post a picture of Jim and Lois so their SeaDream friends who are following this thread can see them?

Eaches, your pictures are wonderful. If they will allow you, could you please post a picture of Jim and Lois so their SeaDream friends who are following this thread can see them?

Will try - may have to wait until we get to the hotel or back to the ship .

Lovely! I’m jealous that you all get to eat outdoors. I imagine it will be too cold on our cruise to do that.

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts on India. I spent a month there long ago. There’s no place on earth quite like it.

IMG_2792.thumb.jpg.38becc83633e4e5d04a2ea284814b1b8.jpg

Here is the ice work on board the Viking Sun to announce their next World Cruise. I will let Viking give you the information.

[ATTACH]418099[/ATTACH]

Here is the ice work on board the Viking Sun to announce their next World Cruise. I will let Viking give you the information.

Not shown yet on their website. Can the Future Cruise Consultant send you a PDF of the itinerary?

;p;):p

Don't know if you can do it but we had a buffet lunch at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai on a Seabourn tour. It made me an Indian food fan. The best buffet (and maybe best food) I have ever had.

A possibility though I would prefer a local restaurant to a large hotel. We did eat at the Taj some years ago on a stay in Mumbai.

Like the Beautiful Viking Sun, hotels cater to foreigners and serve sanitized, less favourful versions of the cuisine.

It’s not open for the public yet , soon enough .

They gave us a handout of the itinerary which is split into two segmets: London to LA and LA to London. The 2d half is nearly an exact duplication of this cruise, only changing a few ports.

This cruise already cost more than our house, so the long long journey would cost about double!

I guess dedicated cruisers might consider it, but when I consider where I can go for that money, I won’t be joining.

After interacting with so many on this cruise, I’m beginning to understand why someone might do it, but we missed so much by being tied down for 141 days that we won’t be likely to do it again.

I usually plan our trips around cultural events, etc. but on a cruise you have to be lucky to be able to attend a performance or sporting event or even to eat in a good restaurant.

We are enjoying it on one level and don’t regret the cruise. Five weeks to go and time to recheck our schedule. What to keep and what to change will depend on various factors.

They gave us a handout of the itinerary which is split into two segmets: London to LA and LA to London. The 2d half is nearly an exact duplication of this cruise, only changing a few ports.

This cruise already cost more than our house, so the long long journey would cost about double!

I guess dedicated cruisers might consider it, but when I consider where I can go for that money, I won’t be joining.

After interacting with so many on this cruise, I’m beginning to understand why someone might do it, but we missed so much by being tied down for 141 days that we won’t be likely to do it again.

I usually plan our trips around cultural events, etc. but on a cruise you have to be lucky to be able to attend a performance or sporting event or even to eat in a good restaurant.

We are enjoying it on one level and don’t regret the cruise. Five weeks to go and time to recheck our schedule. What to keep and what to change will depend on various factors.

Thanks for the heads up. We were stoked about the WC and made a deposit for the 2019 cruise last July before the itinerary was even out, but as we drilled down more into it we reached pretty much the same opinions as you, there were more places we wanted to see than what was available on the WC for the price it takes. Lots to be said about being on-board with the same passengers and forming friendships (which seems harder to do on the viking ships short voyages), and it was with mixed emotions that we cancelled.

Something funny has happened to us on our way around the world. We have come to enjoy Sea days the most. Never thought that would happen. A lovely warm sunny flat calm today. In Chennai we only went ashore as required for immigration. Curiously we had to go to Guest Services the day before to pick up our Passports and landing cards. Normally before, the blank landing cards were delivered to our cabin the night before. Not sure why this was different but we still filled them out in our cabin. In Chennai we were all required to go ashore for “face to face “ with Immigration. Really curiously upon arrival in the terminal the very first thing we had to do was surrender our passports to Viking! Not sure the purpose of lining up at Guest Services was for. The process went quickly and we returned on board. As we are likely to see all the India we want on our 4day/3night overland to the Taj and the view from our balcony, we decided to stay “home”. Also, more than one source referred to Chennai as the “Detroit of India “. That and Trip Advisor top 15 things to do involved temples. See above post about “Templed out”. Will offer as much as possible on our overland. And Eaches is on it as well! Great pictures for sure.🎉🍸🍺😎

Something funny has happened to us on our way around the world. We have come to enjoy Sea days the most. Never thought that would happen. A lovely warm sunny flat calm today. In Chennai we only went ashore as required for immigration. Curiously we had to go to Guest Services the day before to pick up our Passports and landing cards. Normally before, the blank landing cards were delivered to our cabin the night before. Not sure why this was different but we still filled them out in our cabin. In Chennai we were all required to go ashore for “face to face “ with Immigration. Really curiously upon arrival in the terminal the very first thing we had to do was surrender our passports to Viking! Not sure the purpose of lining up at Guest Services was for. The process went quickly and we returned on board. As we are likely to see all the India we want on our 4day/3night overland to the Taj and the view from our balcony, we decided to stay “home”. Also, more than one source referred to Chennai as the “Detroit of India “. That and Trip Advisor top 15 things to do involved temples. See above post about “Templed out”. Will offer as much as possible on our overland. And Eaches is on it as well! Great pictures for sure.[emoji322][emoji483][emoji481][emoji41]

IMG_2928.thumb.jpg.b19f85f60b8ff3e060c86ab222bd7e3a.jpg

IMG_2884.thumb.jpg.1e0f9820c8f15014c7b1b79baa2be6bb.jpg

IMG_2892.thumb.jpg.21b7f1d499797704a1b8e0afebe81284.jpg

IMG_2828.thumb.jpg.e0c2e78f8166b6143909caa060bc0f8e.jpg

IMG_2951.thumb.jpg.6dd86314aad57531510b35fdfa29f87d.jpg

IMG_2923.thumb.jpg.b18f5496ebc30bdb951b97dbd87f8dce.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg.1cb832cc9e7a3941c38bccb5b60adfc3.jpg

IMG_2894.thumb.jpg.ce6741ff78e7974092fd729056ecb137.jpg

IMG_2870.thumb.jpg.a543ce5c225abbffb46b1f08275aa9a6.jpg

IMG_2912.thumb.jpg.649ce6dd0e9a1e344957d0a83953519a.jpg

Jim ,

I was going to clean these photos up but was having issues on the file size and not being able to send them to CC . I ended up sending the files that worked without any work being done on them .

If anyone can give me pointers on file sizes and reducing to the the size CC wants, it would be a big help . I am using an I phone 10 because of it’s body size and ease of sending files .

Jim ,

I was going to clean these photos up but was having issues on the file size and not being able to send them to CC . I ended up sending the files that worked without any work being done on them .

If anyone can give me pointers on file sizes and reducing to the the size CC wants, it would be a big help . I am using an I phone 10 because of it’s body size and ease of sending files .

Also I threw my socks away after visiting the Hindu Temple’s and I would suggest that to others . I don’t want to catch a weird Disease from washing the socks with the other laundry. We had to take our shoes off prior to entering the Temples. Afterwards the socks where dark black when we put ours shoes back on . Time to be safe !

My tip is for you to put extra socks in your bag / backpack we went to India last April and yes your shoes have to come off a lot in India the ground is so Hot, they do put cardboard boxes along the ground or material too walk on! Socks are a must plus for the Ladies put a scarf or a sarong in your handbag to cover up! You will love India Jim enjoy

The Easter visit to Chennai was great to a certain extent and failed in other ways. We were able to enter the St. Thomas Basilica during mass. Plus visit the apostle’s tomb. The women were dressed in beautiful saris and many had garlands of jasmine in the hair. Kids were dressed up too. Our greetings of Happy Easter were met with smiles and double handshakes. And we went early before it was very hot and humid. The visit to the small Hindu temple was very interesting from a people watching standpoint, particularly the couple blocks to it through a jam-packed narrow street with tuk tuks, scooters, people and vendor stalls. The visit to Fort St George (a dump) and its St. Mary’s Church (closed ) and Museum was not worthwhile — and the heat and humidity were all encompassing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Something funny has happened to us on our way around the world. We have come to enjoy Sea days the most. Never thought that would happen.

That doesn’t surprise me. Touring, while fun, can take a lot out of you. I imagine we’ll expend a lot of energy on our upcoming port-intensive cruise and extension (7 countries, 11 ports), but we’re just going to be in relatively staid Western Europe. The countries you’re visiting are fascinating but not necessarily relaxing. I spent a month traveling around India once, and it was easily the most exhausting place I’ve ever been. And that’s coming from someone who has lived through riots, typhoons, and a revolution!

Originally posted by Jim Avery Something funny has happened to us on our way around the world. We have come to enjoy Sea days the most. Never thought that would happen.

Jim,

Well glad in a way to hear that since there are more sea days than port days, and besides the amenities on board Viking ships are nonpareil. We really enjoy relaxing in the spa pool. A few quick questions for you or anybody on board. I assume the enrichment lecturers are top rate, they have been on our previous Viking voyages. However, what kind of passenger activities are held during the during the day? Also, what has the evening entertainment been like. You said you typically don't partake, but for others that do how would you rate the variety, adequacy of guest entertainers and ship entertainers?

For me the lecturers have been varied and for the most part very engaging. There are small group presentations as well. Cooking demos, dance class, a choir, art classes, bridge and mahjong, jewelry presentations, galley and bridge tours ( and on the WC we even had a laundry tour). There is more to fill our sea days than I have time for....but I also enjoy lounging and reading at the infinity pool and watching for dolphins or just being mesmerized by the wake....Life if Good on the Viking Sun ....even when some new part of the world is not unfolding in front of me.

For me the lecturers have been varied and for the most part very engaging. There are small group presentations as well. Cooking demos, dance class, a choir, art classes, bridge and mahjong, jewelry presentations, galley and bridge tours ( and on the WC we even had a laundry tour). There is more to fill our sea days than I have time for....but I also enjoy lounging and reading at the infinity pool and watching for dolphins or just being mesmerized by the wake....Life if Good on the Viking Sun ....even when some new part of the world is not unfolding in front of me.

IMG_3044.jpg.c4e3c631c615d410a65fb0976dcbdc06.jpg

Pictures of New Deli 4 day overland to Taj Mahal . You haven’t seen traffic until you’ve seen it in India . Thank Goodness we have a Great Bus Driver!

IMG_2708.thumb.jpg.51ddb7a1b1958100cfab6421b038f565.jpg

IMG_3020.thumb.jpg.3125d65b370054fb2f9b6158e812b814.jpg

IMG_3021.thumb.jpg.b849592758c1d6fd4faca0e361df8282.jpg

Edited by Eaches