Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Excuse me. Last time I checked I was still on the ship. He said something about pictures? Pictures of what? It may have been announced when we were in our cabin or in the Pool Grill where there is a big echo.

They asked us from using public media for a time . It was in letter form sent to your cabin .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually we were asked to refrain from posting anything pertaining to security preparations. I didn’t get that the Captain meant refrain from all postings of “normal “

I checked with my Better half and she said the same thing , so I’m going to post the pictures of the Beautiful Brunch they are putting on for us .

Actually we were asked to refrain from posting anything pertaining to security preparations. I didn’t get that the Captain meant refrain from all postings of “normal “

I checked with my Better half and she said the same thing , so I’m going to post the pictures of the Beautiful Brunch they are putting on for us .

Enclosed are pictures of Thursday’s Mega Oman Brunch . Thank you goes out to Chef Eric his staff , all the pastry chefs and Captain Knutsen for looking out for our safety .

IMG_4362.thumb.jpg.4c1abd6ceb0733947e62108cc26a19a7.jpg

IMG_4348.thumb.jpg.89b15bdd085b55e32633175e89a6f41e.jpg

IMG_4350.thumb.jpg.ec14e8c5be4f311559b980ef91704d93.jpg

IMG_4366.thumb.jpg.db389f5a2af0b4ac84c37af71adbf63b.jpg

IMG_4371.thumb.jpg.67a9007d519f1c20280ddace17304a81.jpg

IMG_4375.thumb.jpg.3963de5cb91e2667a91b1e4d89fdc3f3.jpg

IMG_4374.thumb.jpg.6c2e43feb6e5a29274ba7edf961a0be7.jpg

IMG_4358.thumb.jpg.5d4f09ba78ccddac43cded0965c2ac1c.jpg

IMG_4368.thumb.jpg.9b4edcbb65be26b2155752f0f46b6524.jpg

IMG_4363.thumb.jpg.15c8ae83ccb52bf06d425d908b28f4fd.jpg

IMG_4376.thumb.jpg.1ab013317674ea93610ffb1e6d0d1993.jpg

IMG_4349.thumb.jpg.d0e699123ba6fd9ee6e255ab4ea3c71b.jpg

Jim,

Who said we have brain trusts on this ship ? . I guess we still have tourists on board instead of travelers .

What a rude comment....I am proud to be a tourist. I may not have your extensive travel history but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy visiting new places. Your “tourist instead of travelers” comment smacks of elitism.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What a rude comment....I am proud to be a tourist. I may not have your extensive travel history but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy visiting new places. Your “tourist instead of travelers” comment smacks of elitism.

I’m not claiming to be among among the Elite far from it . Viking’s own ads say that their tours are made for traveler’s - People who would like to see areas of the world , not seen by the other cruise lines, in a pleasant unassuming way , at a reasonable cost . There is no cast system in Viking ! You may have a larger cabin, but you enjoy the same amenities as the folks in all cabins. It’s up to you and what you can afford .

My wife and I always laugh at “Wiking’s” claim that we should be travelers, not tourists. We have been both and cruising on a ship and visiting places in buses with guides and squawk boxes in groups of 40 seems touristy to us.

I suppose we all like to think we are travelers, but tourists are not bad people.

My wife and I always laugh at “Wiking’s” claim that we should be travelers, not tourists. We have been both and cruising on a ship and visiting places in buses with guides and squawk boxes in groups of 40 seems touristy to us.

I suppose we all like to think we are travelers, but tourists are not bad people.

No one said they where .

Just read on the BBC that there was storm damage at the Taj Mahal. 80 mph winds blew one of the minarets off the main gate. This after a cyclone flattening Tonga, damaging Fiji and New Zealand, all shortly after our visits there...... Can we get the Captain to speed up? Seems storms are chasing us.....:eek::cool:

Exactly correct, Wagnerite. Vikings own included tours often involve getting off a bus for 10 minutes to take a picture of something and then getting back on the bus. What could be more touristy than taking pictures of something but not experiencing the people or the culture? Viking should stop with this pretense.

On another level, I am an academic, and my discipline is anthropology. My colleagues spend their summers and sabbaticals living in villages in Tibet, or field stations in the Congo or Amazon. When we talk about vacations, it would be preposterous for me to put any emphasis on the itinerary of a cruise. Every stop, no matter what I do, for however many overnights, is superficial tourism. My enjoyment of cruises is as an alternative to sitting on a beach in Maui at an all-inclusive resort. It is effortless relaxation, and my wife and I love the water. We joke that a cabin on a Viking Ocean ship is our time-share resort. The excursions are nothing more than interesting light entertainment to break up a day. I would never say that "I've been" to Dubrovnik because I walked around a small area for a few hours. Everything is relative.

I believe the tourist vs. traveler statements have more to do with our reactions to differing cultures. Don’t react imprudently to things that are different from your “home” area. Treat others with respect and accept differences. It has nothing to do with elitism.

My wife and I always laugh at “Wiking’s” claim that we should be travelers, not tourists. We have been both and cruising on a ship and visiting places in buses with guides and squawk boxes in groups of 40 seems touristy to us. .

That’s really funny. I’m going to have trouble keeping a straight face if I hear that phrase onboard.

Mega brunch indeed! Viking knows how to keep you from being hungry.

How are you going to decompress, from all this wonderful food at your fingertips each and every day , once you are back at home?

Mega brunch indeed! Viking knows how to keep you from being hungry.

How are you going to decompress, from all this wonderful food at your fingertips each and every day , once you are back at home?

Quarter Pounder with cheese..........:eek:

Curious- After the Viking Jacket gifts were withdrawn, some talk about "gifts" throughout the trip. Can anyone provide an update?

So far, a large wall/fridge magnet of the world with our route on it and a movable spot marker, a Viking folding umbrella, two sets of Viking fridge magnets, a Lindt chocolate bunny for Easter. That's about it that I can remember. :cool:

So far, a large wall/fridge magnet of the world with our route on it and a movable spot marker, a Viking folding umbrella, two sets of Viking fridge magnets, a Lindt chocolate bunny for Easter. That's about it that I can remember. :cool:

If you play Trivia(Which, according to the mantra, is only a game) they give you a buck in "funny money," which is scrip good only for Viking labeled items. So far we got two $2 t-shirts which cost $26 each but it isn't real money so no problem. We will have $54 more if we go every time.

TBT, there was once a small, consumable item left in our room from "The Big Viking in the Sky," but I think Jim is correct in his tally. Of course, we did receive a decent(I think) amount of ship credits, which could be used for basically anything: wine(our choice!), spa and shops. We did buy a couple of CD's from performers we enjoyed and toothpaste and eye drops(my miscalculation).

The woman in the next stateroom is not so happy with the ship and says that Oceania and some other company gave all kinds of perks. I don't have enough experience to know if "Wiking" is generous, stingy or in between.

Oh, also for those who boarded in Miami, they included all Cuba excursions and gave us each an extra $X as "compensation" for our not being able to dock in Havana, if that is anything.

For the people who started in Miami on the World Cruise , does anyone remember the (credit) money that was applied to our accounts for all the changes that Viking did because of the Cuban government? That amount should have bought you a couple of cheap nylon windbreakers and a meal In Havana. I know it was part of the pre cruise but it was a nice jester. I’m sure Viking has something up their sleeves before or after you get home to remind you of their first World Cruise . I’m. Sure it will be better than a inexpensive windbreaker, but I could be also dead wrong .

Oh well ! I’ve really enjoyed this cruise and all the sites we visited , the guests we’ve met during the cruise and especially the staff and CREW .

An Early Thank You !