Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

What do the Viking fridge magnets look like? Can you post a picture. Have suggested that Viking River do a magnet of their ships. Are they going to be putting the magnets in the gift shop? Might be a nice souvenir.

Thanks.

I haven’t seen them yet- they may come aboard in London.They did introduce a ship model made of metal of the Sun . Not sure if it’s only for the WC or others . It’s approx 10” Long with nice detail . Early on we could only book the model to be picked up in London .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do the Viking fridge magnets look like? Can you post a picture. Have suggested that Viking River do a magnet of their ships. Are they going to be putting the magnets in the gift shop? Might be a nice souvenir.

Thanks.

Sorry they do have small - plastic coated magnets that they have in sets . They have given us two sets . I like the magnets we pick up in ports we visited better but the ones from Viking are a nice touch .

Don’t forget about the business cards with name and stateroom number....I have a thousand left!

Eaches...I love your ability to post GREAT photos on this thread...thanks!

Watching the news tonight and noting your current ship position. You're far enough away I know but nevertheless allow me to communicate my concern to you and prayers ascending for your continued safety.

Char and I posted at the same time. Obviously we are all concerned about our world situation. I'm sure everything is going to be fine on the ship. If there were big concerns we'd see the ship turning around and going the other way. There are several other ships on the same route. Enjoy your sea days!

Edited by stretchcruz
Added "on the ship" after fine

Char and I posted at the same time. Obviously we are all concerned about our world situation. I'm sure everything is going to be fine on the ship. If there were big concerns we'd see the ship turning around and going the other way. There are several other ships on the same route. Enjoy your sea days!

Good point!

An observation about Viking included tours. DH and I have taken many of the included tours filling the days we did not choose to do an optional - used every penny of obc for excursions. Anyway having paid for hundreds of "panoramic or overview" excursions on other cruise lines I must say most of the Viking included tours have been better. Not all, but only reviewed one as a do not offer again. Not sure if I am a tourist or traveler, but I am a Viking fan and look forward to WC 2019.

Just read all 37 pages of comments and thanks to Jim for making the effort to start the dialogue. Cruise on.

Yesterday I sent the following email to some family and friends:

"We are 30 miles off the coast of Yemen, global tensions over Syria are rising hourly, we are about to enter the Red Sea, and it is Friday the 13th......What could possibly go wrong???:cocktail::wine-glass::tropical-drink::cool:"

Fortunately, nothing went wrong onboard. Just a lovely calm, sunny, lazy sea day with lots of ships to see.

Have you all noticed an increase in military aircraft since the air strikes on Syria began? What a time to be in that part of the world. You are for sure having an adventure.

Have not seen any military aircraft at all. But then I haven't spent time on deck looking for them. Have not even seen a naval presence though I know they are out and about. Just tankers and freighters nearby.

Crossed my mind as well, especially since the Houthi rebels attacked a Saudi tanker in the Red Sea (approximately where we are right at the moment) a week or so ago. Had that escalated to a closing of the Red Sea I suspect we would have had lots of sea days circling Africa...... Glad things are proceeding as planned.:cool:

An observation about Viking included tours. DH and I have taken many of the included tours filling the days we did not choose to do an optional - used every penny of obc for excursions. Anyway having paid for hundreds of "panoramic or overview" excursions on other cruise lines I must say most of the Viking included tours have been better. Not all, but only reviewed one as a do not offer again. Not sure if I am a tourist or traveler, but I am a Viking fan and look forward to WC 2019.

Just read all 37 pages of comments and thanks to Jim for making the effort to start the dialogue. Cruise on.

As an observer for this grand adventure, I appreciate your comments about the included excursions. On our first cruise, we were quite satisfied with all but one of our included excursions, and that was a guide issue.

I realize we are usually tourists, but aspire to be travelers! When possible, we try to immerse ourselves in the local culture. We do wander off the main drag when we can, eat the local food, and talk with the locals if language differences allow. I am ever so grateful for the number of people in Europe who speak English, as my few basic words I try to learn in each language don't go very far in a conversation.

I look forward to following along from home on World Cruise 2019.

Just yesterday I was reviewing the excursions for our 2019 WC in light of the comments from this year’s WC. We are not ones to ride around on busses, but many of the 2019 WC included excursions seem to be walking tours, and we rather enjoy walking through a new place with a good guide. With just a short time in a port, it can be hard to see as much on your own. I also note that quite a few ports have only the included excursions, at least so far. But many of these ports are first time stops for Viking, so hope some optional excursions are still to be added.

Maybe this summer, those of us on the 2019 WC can start a roll call and begin trading questions and advice. And, I hope this year’s wonderful world cruisers will chime in. This has been such a great thread!

Well, I keep hoping some ambitious person will start the roll call, but none yet. If it isn’t started when I get back from Homelands Cruise in June, I guess I will have to start it. But there has been a lot of good information on this thread, and hopefully the 2019 world cruisers are already getting ready!

Don’t forget about the business cards with name and stateroom number....I have a thousand left!

Eaches...I love your ability to post GREAT photos on this thread...thanks!

Thanks for your comments!

I also note that quite a few ports have only the included excursions, at least so far. But many of these ports are first time stops for Viking, so hope some optional excursions are still to be added.

Re starting with all included and later adding optional excursions. That is what I observed last year with our Panama/Central America cruise. When it was announced as a new cruise late in 2016/early 2017, the only optional excursion was in Colón. Starting March 2017 (approx) more and more optional excursions were added and hit the "final" by mid-summer (a few more were added/deleted after that). Expect this is the typical pattern for new cruises to first time ports. So - yes - do expect new ports to start sprouting optional excursions soon.

Cruising the Red Sea in calm, sunny conditions. The Red Sea is a beautiful blue 😜 and Egypt is to port. Had an interesting conversation with one of the security detail in the gym. He is a very fit Aussie who is enjoying our beautiful ship. He mentioned that there is no nice gym on his usual tanker or LNG carrier. I am very glad to have them onboard. One more sea day tomorrow then Petra. Lots of ports coming up quickly.😎