Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

That looks like a awesome trip. We are considering a 180 day WC and that seems long, I'm not sure I could handle 8 months away from home. So Jim, would you recommend doing a WC? We are thinking about it when my hubby retires. It's still 4-5 years away but you have to book early at least a year or two. It seems like you would see a lot of the world and only unpacking once. :)

Yes, I would recommend it if you want it. You and your significant other/travel partner both need to want it as it is a real commitment in time and hard work. It's a hard thing if you are trying to live someone else's dream. The money is the easiest part. Setting up your life to be "off the grid" for a third of a year or more is not a simple task. Then the actual doing of it is hard work too. Not the sea days:cool: but the climbing of temple steps, mountains, uneven pavers, heat, cold, fog, etc, etc. Not for the faint of heart if you really want to get the most out of it. And no, you don't have to book 2 years out. We booked end of April 2017 for a 5 January 2018 departure. We have a nice, midships DV that served us well. A bonus is it will make our small home in Arizona look like a McMansion!;p

Go while you can! Hips and knees that work make it so much more enjoyable. We watched some with mobility issues struggle. Good health is important as you start this adventure....heat took its toll on some of the frailest passengers.

I wonder how many broken bones were suffered?

We enjoyed it all...it was even more fun traveling with friends from home. We met some wonderful fellow travelers and excercised more patience than I knew I had with some others.

ship board life was fantastic. The ship handles the 900 passengers with ease and grace. The crew from the captain down were friendly, personable and most importantly professional.

Preparing was daunting.....we got great advice from CC and its active roll call.

Too many highlights to pick....standing in the shadow of the pyramids, the first glimpse of Petra, clear blue water teaming with coral and fish, magestic landscapes in New ZeLand, watching the Sydney opera house from the water!

Biggest regret was probably not taking the trip to the Taj Mahal.

Biggest disappointment was our excursion to the Great Barrier Reef aboard the very large boat to a large platform instead of a small boat that had been described and promised long before the trip began.

It was a trip of a lifetime and so happy to have done with Viking on the Inaugural Cruise.

Thank you all for taking time from your amazing journey to bring us all along! I have thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and all the commentary - all the stories and the imagination it produces on what it must feel like to be in many of the places we have not travelled. As well the memories brought back while visiting places we have been fortunate enough to have experienced.

Safe journeys home with sincere thanks.

This has been quite an experience on so many different levels. Special thanks to Glenda for her friendship and to Chuck as well for his insights and even disposition. I've enjoyed everyone with whom I've come in contact at meals, on excursions, in trivia or just walking around the ship.

Thanks to Tom and Sylvia for being our partners in Name That tune and for recruiting two team members whose knowledge filled the gaps.

I'm still not a big fan of sea days or buses, but we knew about those before we booked. right now looking forward to a couple of days in London, packed with theatre and a couple of museums, before returning to the "Sweetest Place on Earth."

Three, count em' 3(!) Wagner ring Cycles in the next 12 months and a ride on the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco.

I'm on the mailing list for just about every cruise line, hotel and airline that exists, plus The Points Guy and others of his ilk so have to figure out where to spend my points and miles.

To all of you who followed this thread, I hope that you gained some knowledge about the Viking way of life. In the long run........we know what John Maynard Keynes said, so enjoy while you can.

Wagnerite, aka Ira and Carol. We thoroughly enjoyed your gregariousness while we were on the Cuba/Panama part of the cruise. We also enjoyed your pics on the My Viking page.

Thank you for your comments regarding your overall thoughts of the trip . We appreciate your insights. We are having second thoughts regarding our Grand Pacific Voyage. There aren't very many sea days, but it's the industrial ports being so far from where we might want to be that concern us.

Have a safe trip home. Who knows, we may meet again. Bob and Rose-Marie

So far you've been on both of our ocean cruises so it's always a possibility! Enjoy that Albertan weather and make sure you get to AZ after one or two snowfalls.

Thank you all for taking time from your amazing journey to bring us all along! I have thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and all the commentary - all the stories and the imagination it produces on what it must feel like to be in many of the places we have not travelled. As well the memories brought back while visiting places we have been fortunate enough to have experienced.

Safe journeys home with sincere .

IMG_8622.thumb.jpg.9a2a6ba048b7baffdd00bc7640a2378d.jpg

THANK YOU CAPTAIN KNUTSEN, STAFF AND CREW FOR A WONDERFUL SAFE WORLD CRUISE . We all will fondly remember our time together!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_8625.thumb.jpg.bd19d798f94fd8cef2b507e8f57d61a4.jpg

IMG_8624.thumb.jpg.8f1ebe079c5ae6f18629693371662036.jpg

IMG_8627.thumb.jpg.989345d0ebb4f0ea7ce947c4fee9128f.jpg

IMG_8629.thumb.jpg.23d7c57a5b3f2c2a21742bc1ca62e0cb.jpg

IMG_8630.thumb.jpg.cd6e3d6b08a98bc0ed098486a5692889.jpg

IMG_8631.thumb.jpg.ba1be4edf25703373842db0d9ae91dca.jpg

IMG_8615.thumb.jpg.59891b86a1d04a33d38bf19f957a368d.jpg

IMG_8616.thumb.jpg.6c66bc396f5d4fde4ae8946752b95982.jpg

IMG_8623.thumb.jpg.9f319f80ad6fe04988b17ec5d4ecb9ee.jpg

IMG_8618.thumb.jpg.61d0cf4a02e535811b761bfcf7583101.jpg

Yes, I just saw this on Condé Nast Traveler Here is the link,https://www.cntraveler.com/story/the-worlds-longest-cruise-is-245-days-costs-dollar93000

And, don’t forget those of us on the 2019 WC Jan-May! Viking has lots happening

You will be the first to go to :

South America

Africa

For Viking

Hopefully you will report on your cruise so that other Viking sailors who follow you, will have some great stories to read and dream about !

Edited by Eaches

A gray choppy day in the Bay of Biscay for our next to last sea day. Then one day in London with Viking Sun as our hotel before being summarily kicked off here on Saturday morning. It has been a true adventure. Many thanks to all the posters for adding to the information available to others in the planning stages. I have learned a ton of things to look for in the next long cruise. We have nothing booked at the moment but I am sure that will change after we get home and relive this one a time or two. Many thanks to Eaches fine pictures as they give life to all our stops. I will be doing a recap for sure but not till after we get home and I have a bit of time to sort it all out in my head. We are staying in England for a week to see family so will be back home mid May. Till then, all the best to my fellow world cruisers. :cool:

Jim,

It was a real pleasure finally meeting you and your very charming wife . Hopefully our paths will cross again and do more cruising together..

Be safe and keep on cruising!

Jim,

It was a real pleasure finally meeting you and your very charming wife . Hopefully our paths will cross again and do more cruising together..

Be safe and keep on cruising!

Same to you Eaches. Hope to “partner” with y’all again on a future cruise.😎

This has been quite an experience on so many different levels. Special thanks to Glenda for her friendship and to Chuck as well for his insights and even disposition. I've enjoyed everyone with whom I've come in contact at meals, on excursions, in trivia or just walking around the ship.

Thanks to Tom and Sylvia for being our partners in Name That tune and for recruiting two team members whose knowledge filled the gaps.

I'm still not a big fan of sea days or buses, but we knew about those before we booked. right now looking forward to a couple of days in London, packed with theatre and a couple of museums, before returning to the "Sweetest Place on Earth."

Three, count em' 3(!) Wagner ring Cycles in the next 12 months and a ride on the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco.

I'm on the mailing list for just about every cruise line, hotel and airline that exists, plus The Points Guy and others of his ilk so have to figure out where to spend my points and miles.

To all of you who followed this thread, I hope that you gained some knowledge about the Viking way of life. In the long run........we know what John Maynard Keynes said, so enjoy while you can.

Ok, I'm curious! What is a Wagner ring Cycle? Family reunion?

I'm delighted to have discovered all of your musings on a World Cruise....I found you just at the very end. One question for someone who is a planner:

how much "stuff" did you buy along the way that will result in more luggage going home with you (how much more?) than you started the journey with?

Best wishes to all of you; I'm envious in so many ways.

Hi Wagnerite, are you coming to San Francisco in June for the Ring? If so, what cycle? Would love to know what other Rings you'll be seeing. There is great passion around Wagner's music here, and dedicated fans who travel worldwide to see the Ring.

Ok, I'm curious! What is a Wagner ring Cycle? Family reunion?

In a way, but a different kind of “family.” Richard Wagner(1813-1883) was a German Romantic composer. “Der Ring des Nibelungen” is a four opera cycle based on Norse legends. It is traditionally performed on 6 nights, with nights off on 3 and 5. The total length of the four opera is about 15 hours.

It’s not for everyone but those who attend are fanatics. Friendships are formed and we have seen some people in a lot of different countries at Ring Cycles.

The “shrine” of Wagner is Bayreuth in Bavaria, where he built a theater devoted solely to performing his operas. We have been there twice during the yearly festival.

Wagnerite, just saw on your earlier post about the other Rings you'll be seeing. If you're coming to SF for the 2nd cycle, I'd love to meet up with you. I went to Bayreuth last year, which was splendid (the music/singing, that is, but not the production).

Hi Wagnerite, are you coming to San Francisco in June for the Ring? If so, what cycle? Would love to know what other Rings you'll be seeing. There is great passion around Wagner's music here, and dedicated fans who travel worldwide to see the Ring.

Cycle 3-26 June-1July. Saw Das Rheingold there in 2008 and the entire cycle in DC in 2013.

Also going to London in October and the Met May 2019

Sorry, everyone, for this digression into opera. But did want to give kudos to Viking for showing an HD Met performance of La Boheme - on the transatlantic we were just on (San Juan - Barcelona). Loved it! Only on Viking!

Note to Wagnerite: we're bypassing the Met in May/2019 for Dusseldorf in June/2019!

Edited by OceanPatter

I can see you entering the Straights of Dover on a crisp sunny evening - the weather is smiling on you as a heatwave is arriving for the weekend. It’s been very interesting to follow you around the world, once my next VR cruise is paid for I’d better start saving...

Edited by kentchris

In a way, but a different kind of “family.” Richard Wagner(1813-1883) was a German Romantic composer. “Der Ring des Nibelungen” is a four opera cycle based on Norse legends. It is traditionally performed on 6 nights, with nights off on 3 and 5. The total length of the four opera is about 15 hours.

It’s not for everyone but those who attend are fanatics. Friendships are formed and we have seen some people in a lot of different countries at Ring Cycles.

The “shrine” of Wagner is Bayreuth in Bavaria, where he built a theater devoted solely to performing his operas. We have been there twice during the yearly festival.

Thank you Ira. I would have been guessing a long time. I know of Wagner the composer from my piano days. I was not aware of this opera. Have a wonderful time!

Thank you !!! I have loved reading this blog every day, loved all the wonderful photo

My husband and I haven’t cruise together and have our first Viking cruise booked for December this year and have just booked the Homelands cruise for July 2020, I think I have come cruise mad and have been yet lol and after following this world cruise it will be on our bucket list. Safe travel all.

You will be the first to go to :

South America

Africa

For Viking

Hopefully you will report on your cruise so that other Viking sailors who follow you, will have some great stories to read and dream about !

South America and Africa will be firsts for us as well as Viking. We have been to Central America and SE Asia, so your WC wouldn’t have ticked off as many bucket list dreams.

The 2019 W cruisers are getting organized with a roll call, and I bet among us there will be another Jim Avery/Eaches duo to allow others to follow our adventures. You were all wonderful for keeping up the commentary and photos for nearly five months!

Thank you Jim for starting this interesting blog, and to everyone who contributed to it. And thanks to Eaches for sharing the beautiful photos. You truly were on an amazing journey and I loved following along with it. Safe travels to all whether heading home or on to further adventures.

Karen

Thank you Jim for starting this interesting blog, and to everyone who contributed to it. And thanks to Eaches for sharing the beautiful photos. You truly were on an amazing journey and I loved following along with it. Safe travels to all whether heading home or on to further adventures.

Karen

Many Viking cruisers are not sure of the London pick up -drop off location on the Thames River. Especially due to notes saying that it’s a tender port. Let me tell you London/Viking did a Stand Up Job with Everything to do with their World Cruise and the Viking Sun . Everything went so smoothly and we had a day in London that no one will forget . Thank You Both for a fanatic End to one of the best Cruises Ever ! IMG_1525467712.241775.thumb.jpg.6caa0cb705e6ac3209d3e48d58932016.jpg

IMG_1525467366.495044.thumb.jpg.d27604435d50bbd69916ae318e27ac91.jpg

IMG_1525467387.750693.thumb.jpg.c2b69daa9b410b59118f618d1ffaf330.jpg

IMG_1525467410.180473.thumb.jpg.08c7a2173b0e7898920ff3fa5cad382f.jpg

IMG_1525467430.433065.thumb.jpg.fbee3bc94a6b8ae0acc774f734ec2609.jpg

IMG_1525467442.512685.thumb.jpg.c545c5ce6465da693df9d0197fbc47e4.jpg

IMG_1525467467.734761.thumb.jpg.de62358425d90d65c865d7e58e48f046.jpg

IMG_1525467495.090692.thumb.jpg.62d840847eb4cbfa07bd7af163140ea5.jpg

IMG_1525467533.285914.thumb.jpg.3d5934842a81f2cbb2d560ae110b22af.jpg

IMG_1525467552.821745.thumb.jpg.1b2c36778843d564ad4a5f4344aa8a9a.jpg

IMG_1525467585.155208.thumb.jpg.e5cb50babd6319c1570964e5fd718b0c.jpg

IMG_1525467608.810815.thumb.jpg.de5cc5775357a0e711e87f2e794313b7.jpg