Unsettling Travel News From Bloomberg

nanface

In the newspaper today, a Bloomberg article warned, "Europe voting to end visa free travel in March," as well as "Dobrovnik capped visitors to 4,000 per day." With a cruise in October going to 5 European countries, including a stop in Dobrovnik, I am getting nervous. I heard these changes were in the wind, but now it seems they're reality. Does anyone know more at this point about how this will affect scheduled cruises?

Nan & Dean

The article...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/europe-visa-free-travel-americans-european-parliament-vote-a7609406.html

Bottom line. See what happens in a couple months. Any action, IF ANY, will take time to take effect.

Not worried about Visas for my similar October 2018 cruise Barcelona to Venice with stops in Croatia.

Somewhat concerned about the visitor limits cited. But what ruins ocean cruising is when several 3,000 passenger large ships dock in a city flooding the attractions, museums. etc.

In the newspaper today, a Bloomberg article warned, "Europe voting to end visa free travel in March," as well as "Dobrovnik capped visitors to 4,000 per day." With a cruise in October going to 5 European countries, including a stop in Dobrovnik, I am getting nervous. I heard these changes were in the wind, but now it seems they're reality. Does anyone know more at this point about how this will affect scheduled cruises?

Nan & Dean

I'm at the point where I don't believe what I read until I see it confirmed by multiple independent sources.

Just how is Dubrovnik going to control how many visitors enter the city? Or are they capping just cruise passengers?

Phil, we are on the same cruise in October. I can imagine that wall to wall people is not good for the travelers, natives or the city itself. The day we are in Dubrovnik, there are 6 other ships scheduled as well, the most of any other day in October (http://*******/2lsH7au). With a cut or more than half allowed, cruise lines are going to have to scramble for other ports. How are they going to determine which ships can dock?

Cities such as Dubrovnik and Venice badly need to limit the number of cruise ships which can visit the cities on any one day. We were in Dubrovnik in May and walking around the city was a nightmare due to the number of people crowding into the main sights. Likewise, Venice is just too busy to be enjoyable. I hope the changes happen.

I absolutely agree. We've been to both Dubrovnik and Venice and been pretty appalled at the crowds.

We actually live in a major tourist destination ourselves which seems to have lost sight of the fact that us residents actually live and try to work here but the city centre is just choked with tourists. Not pleasant for them either shuffling round 'attractions'.

By all means limit numbers visiting Dubrovnik and Venice.

There is more to economies than just packing tourists in. If the gross overcrowding continues they'll spoil what they've got and destroy the tourism potential.

Small businesses depend on the number of tourists who visit. So the people who depend on tourism will not be happy with their governments preventing some tourists from arriving

There are many businesses that do not depend on tourism! Turning beautiful historic cities into Disneyfied tourist destinations for the undiscriminating and uncaring can never be a good thing.

Yes there are negatives to tourism but most of the businesses in these cities do depend on tourism to survive. If you ask motel/hotel owners, shop owners, restaurant owners, taxi cap drivers, cart pushers, and those who give tours how they feel about government interfering with the number of tourists, they would not be happy.

There are many businesses that do not depend on tourism! Turning beautiful historic cities into Disneyfied tourist destinations for the undiscriminating and uncaring can never be a good thing.

So true I hardly ever go into town anymore especially at this time of year. It's just swarming with tourists. So local businesses loose out on my money and I would spend it all year round.

Incidentally Dubrovnik is amazing in the evening when the hoards of visitors have gone

You clearly miss the point fpacifico. If tourists continue to clog up these places they will destroy them as desireable destinations. The businesses you mention are short term employers of low cost high turnover staff. Much better to retain quality even if it does cost more.

You clearly miss the point fpacifico. If tourists continue to clog up these places they will destroy them as desireable destinations. The businesses you mention are short term employers of low cost high turnover staff. Much better to retain quality even if it does cost more.

I didn’t miss the point, small businesses will not go along with this. And the fact that’s locals don’t want tourists clogging their cities won’t mean as much

Perhaps Disney could better cater for those of you who would happily destroy our cultures for your short term pleasure?

Well at least now your being honest. And I can understand where you are coming from but look at it from your neighbors point of view. That being said happy New Years

We live in a small town that is inundated with snowbirds 4 months of the year. We don’t go to out much until “season” is over. If we had known how crazy it is we would have chosen somewhere else to live.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I live in New York City , so I am well aware of everyone’s complaints. Forget from two weeks before thanksgiving to a week after New Years. Then you have Valentine’s Day, Easter weekend and let us not forget the entire summer. But hey, it bring in needed income to my neighbors.

In the newspaper today, a Bloomberg article warned, "Europe voting to end visa free travel in March,"

Something is amiss. The article quoted refers to a "non-binding" resolution that was passed in March 2017. Many months ago...nothing since.

Sounds like a paper tiger.

OP, do you have a link the the Bloomberg piece referred to?