This is either really funny or kinda sad...

Swells1

One of my all time favourites was a Facebook Post with funny screenshots of texts.. In one, a presumably teenaged boy texted his friend that he had just found out that Alaska was NOT an island. It took me a second to figure out that he had probably been looking at weather maps of the US on TV, where they show the continental states, and the Hawaiian Islands and Alaska are beside it.

My personal experience: a Target cashier in FL asked if I would like to open an account. I replied "no thank you. I live in Canada." "What are you doing up here?" "UP here?" "oh, wait" he says, "which way is Canada?"

I am loving this thread!

One of my all time favourites was a Facebook Post with funny screenshots of texts.. In one, a presumably teenaged boy texted his friend that he had just found out that Alaska was NOT an island. It took me a second to figure out that he had probably been looking at weather maps of the US on TV, where they show the continental states, and the Hawaiian Islands and Alaska are beside it.

My personal experience: a Target cashier in FL asked if I would like to open an account. I replied "no thank you. I live in Canada." "What are you doing up here?" "UP here?" "oh, wait" he says, "which way is Canada?"

I am loving this thread!

LOL, I have often been told how my English is very good and how great it would be to be able to just drive to Germany or France for a vacation without having to fly. They seem to think Australia is in Europe, and this was prior to us competing in the Eurovision competition.;p

Some people I have spoken to about our travels have confused Bermuda with the Bahamas.

I can understand that, personally. I can understand getting the placement of Sweden and Switzerland mixed up (because I did for a while, ahem). The Grand Canyon, though, that great American roadtrip...being in Canada...unless she's one of those people who thinks Canada's just another state. That's a whole new issue.

I can understand that, personally. I can understand getting the placement of Sweden and Switzerland mixed up (because I did for a while, ahem). The Grand Canyon, though, that great American roadtrip...being in Canada...unless she's one of those people who thinks Canada's just another state. That's a whole new issue.

A friend moved to Montana ... and her new tel # had an area code 406. I said to her in front of other friends, oh, you are near Canada. That's a Canadian area code. One woman said "NO it isn't. Canada is another country". I KNOW it's another country ... but there are areas with the same 10 digit tel. #s like the US with a 406 area code.

I would go there but I am not into Triangles, I am more of a Square;p

Well actually Bermuda sits at the tip of the triangle, so your square self doesn’t have to reshape to visit [emoji12]

That reminds me of one of these examples...

We were on the Carnival Pride sailing back to Baltimore from Grand Turk and the Bahamas. We did the Behind the Fun tour. There was a woman who was obsessed with the Bermuda Triangle. She asked everyone if we were sailing through it. She wanted to know what happened when you did. How you could tell? What should she prepare for? Could the Captain avoid it?

The guide on our tour tried to ignore her, but I couldn’t resist telling her that we were sailing through it at that very moment and we had sailed through it on the way down.

She wanted to know how I knew and I told her that I had read about it in a book I got in Bermuda. I also assured her - or tried to - that it was mostly myth and that there were some logical explanations for the things blamed on the mystery.

She wasn’t having it. She asked the engineer, the head chef, and finally the Captain who clearly had not heard these questions before [emoji16]

She said finally that she knew something strange had happened because all of her gold jewelry had turned silver. The expression on the Captain’s face was priceless. I wished I’d had a camera 🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not a big surprise. We once shared a dinner table with a family from Florida.

We were at a themed restaurant in Orlando and while discussing where we were from, I commented we were located north of Grand Forks, North Dakota.

They didn't have a clue where North Dakota was.:confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, that is very sad.

Here are a few examples of the general lack of knowledge I've encountered when people hear I was born and raised in Hawaii -

How did you learn to speak English?

What language do they speak over there?

How tall are the trees that pineapples grow on?

and (drum roll) does Hawaii accept American dollars?

:o:eek::rolleyes::(

I had a coworker who enjoyed going to the local deli owned by a Hawaiian so she could talk to the owner, her 'feriner (foreigner) friend'

She thought Hawaii was a foreign country. She was from Alabama.

Well actually Bermuda sits at the tip of the triangle, so your square self doesn’t have to reshape to visit [emoji12]

That reminds me of one of these examples...

We were on the Carnival Pride sailing back to Baltimore from Grand Turk and the Bahamas. We did the Behind the Fun tour. There was a woman who was obsessed with the Bermuda Triangle. She asked everyone if we were sailing through it. She wanted to know what happened when you did. How you could tell? What should she prepare for? Could the Captain avoid it?

The guide on our tour tried to ignore her, but I couldn’t resist telling her that we were sailing through it at that very moment and we had sailed through it on the way down.

She wanted to know how I knew and I told her that I had read about it in a book I got in Bermuda. I also assured her - or tried to - that it was mostly myth and that there were some logical explanations for the things blamed on the mystery.

She wasn’t having it. She asked the engineer, the head chef, and finally the Captain who clearly had not heard these questions before [emoji16]

She said finally that she knew something strange had happened because all of her gold jewelry had turned silver. The expression on the Captain’s face was priceless. I wished I’d had a camera 🤣

Lol she's not kidding about that jewelry. I learned the hard way that sterling and now I guess gold (although sounds like hers was costume plated gold) should never be worn in the ocean and then into the ships pool

My sterling looked like pewter after I did it. Of course I got it back to normal once home and the woman at the larimar store in st Thomas clued me into using ammonia to clean jewelry.

So back to the triangle. On all my cruises out of NYC I have found that there is certainly a timeframe of an hour or 2 perhaps longer where internet is quite disrupted. Looking at the ships map confirmed that it was during our travels through the Bermuda Triangle. Magnetic forces I guess?

Just as an FYI and to bring up some trivia...

Some very popular well loved movies and tv shows from the 1950's clearly refer to being in Alaska as being out of the country

I Love Lucy reruns and the classic movie White Christmas come to mind

It was a territory of the USA from 1912 until January 3, 1959. Maybe that's why it was thought to be out of the country in the 50s tv and movies referred to above.

It was a territory of the USA from 1912 until January 3, 1959. Maybe that's why it was thought to be out of the country in the 50s tv and movies referred to above.

Plus if you drive instead of flying which was quite expensive back in the 50's, you have to leave USA and travel through Canada. Make sense.

First off who is she talking to? She's answering her own questions

Also it's an uploaded web video from where?

Many are planted fake videos for the sole purpose of hoping they go viral.

There is always an agenda

There is always a backstory

So it's really wise to question stuff like this video especially when there is such absurdity involved as evidenced here it was uploaded to cc and it was expected that posters would believe it.

It's 2018 and it's time for internet users (which is all of us) to recognize the game and not blindly accept what they see and hear online. It's called click bait

Let me ask you a question. Do you click on random links in emails you receive because of course there would never be an embedded virus

Do you randomly assume that an email is legit just because it says it's from your bank ?

In the above case have you ever clicked on the senders email URL? Only to find it's not from....mybank@my bank.com but from....cvtrilht@wwefgjhg.fcu. Or some such nonsense I guarantee in that situation there will be a link in the email they want you to click....which will then ask for your legitimate online bank user name and password.

Do you give personal info to random phone callers?

Do you really think you are having an issue with your Windows software and they called you to help out?

Nuff said and nope I don't wear a tin foil hat I just deal with reality. Lol

NOPE ... I don't do any of those things.

Do you have children? If they are grown, you may be removed from 'this' generation's LOVE AFFAIR with their computer, their own voice, ridiculous thoughts and the NEED to broadcast it EVERYWHERE ... youtube, snapchat, facebook, etc. SOMEONE made the Kardashians hugely popular and RICH ...

NOPE ... I don't do any of those things.

Do you have children? If they are grown, you may be removed from 'this' generation's LOVE AFFAIR with their computer, their own voice, ridiculous thoughts and the NEED to broadcast it EVERYWHERE ... youtube, snapchat, facebook, etc. SOMEONE made the Kardashians hugely popular and RICH ...

My kids are ages 16 22 23 27 and absolutely are not melded to their devices. They rarely post on FB and they know where the line is and never cross it. They are too busy working and studying and getting their degrees. They are very well educated and can see the nonsense of it all. Oh and they even know where and what the Underground Cistern is as well as where Hadrians Wall and Hadrians Villa are located Right next to each other right? Lol they also know which one of those famous buildings in Istanbul is the Mosque and which one has been turned into a museum. They know what Parc Guell is too. Lol Not bragging...well maybe a little ...just very proud of all the travel they have accomplished mostly on their own dimes

The only reason I post on cc is because it actually is anonymous.

Edited by maggie cruises