Room Service charge and tips

LDVinNC

First time on RCI and first time on a ship that charges for room service. We have always tipped $2 or so for room service. Do we do the same now that they charge for room service? Am inclined to, but wonder what others do.

This information I am posting is from the Royal Caribbean website:

Does Royal Caribbean offer room service?

A

Room service is available any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom/suite (service charge of $7.95* applies). An 18% gratuity is additional and will automatically be added to your check. Our new room service menu features several upgraded selections including a Wagyu Beef Hamburger, Philly Cheesesteak and Grilled Salmon with Cucumber Mint Yogurt and Roasted Asparagus.

Service charge subject to change without notice.

Is it $7.95 for the entire order, or per meal? If my family of 6 decides on room service for a meal, will it cost us a ton? And if it's only $7.95 for the entire order, how would one determine 18% gratuity on so much food for such a small service fee?

Is it $7.95 for the entire order, or per meal? If my family of 6 decides on room service for a meal, will it cost us a ton? And if it's only $7.95 for the entire order, how would one determine 18% gratuity on so much food for such a small service fee?

We have the cooked breakfast​ on our balcony every morning and the $7.95 charge is for the delivery regardless of how many items are delivered.

I always hand the delivery person $3 and they are surprised and gratefull.

I was on Anthem a week ago and room service is 7.95 plus an additional automatic 18 per cent gratuity - makes for a pricey room service charge. Price is for the entire order for one stateroom,

not per item.

Our breakfast charge on Freedom in June was $8.50 but it was Spanish vat added too.

On Anthem it was about 9.38 for room service - with the included 18% gratuity. The sailing of 12/2 was the first Anthem cruise to include it. During that cruise they were very apologetic about it.

However, on the following cruise - 12/14 - they no longer warned you about the gratuity - they just automatically billed you for it.

On Anthem it was about 9.38 for room service - with the included 18% gratuity. The sailing of 12/2 was the first Anthem cruise to include it. During that cruise they were very apologetic about it.

However, on the following cruise - 12/14 - they no longer warned you about the gratuity - they just automatically billed you for it.

I will find out in May what Independence charges.

I usually give the delivery person $3 tip but if there is an automatic gratuity added on top of the $7.95 i will just give them $2.

I heard the gratuity was added into the $7.95 charge anyway so to now add on top is greedy.