Celebrity Norwegian Fjords Cruise...What to Pack?

Welly09

We are also looking at this cruise, but have hesitated because we are not interested in active pursuits. DH has a few mobility issues and can't go hiking, snowshoeing, etc. Is there enough to do for those of us who are more sedentary at this point of our lives ?

I went on crutches and in a wheelchair owing to a temporary mobility issue and loved it!

Firstly, as I said in my earlier post you can do lots of your sightseeing from the ship as you enter/exit the Fjiords. You can do this from your balcony or many venues and areas on board.

In Flåm we prebooked a disabled place on the railway so my chair could just be pushed straight in. No walking necessary. At other ports we just enjoyed a short walk around the towns, they are very pretty. Bergen was the only difficulty as the ship was some distance from the town centre. They had one shuttle only into the town for disabled guests. You could not pre book a time which would have meant queuing...we decided in the end to enjoy a quiet ship day.

If you are not up to pushing your husband you can pre order an electric buggy. However, if your husband can walk on/off the ship and safely get on and off a coach there are lots of tours (and no shuttle issue in Bergen)...look at the X website for ideas, they are clearly labelled for activity levels and we have found the descriptions pretty accurate. My problem was I simply couldn’t manage those coach steps!

We are also looking at this cruise, but have hesitated because we are not interested in active pursuits. DH has a few mobility issues and can't go hiking, snowshoeing, etc. Is there enough to do for those of us who are more sedentary at this point of our lives ?

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I had a serious accident and as result I have difficulty with walking distance and uneven surfaces as well as balance issues. X has plenty of Norway excursions that are rated moderate that I had no trouble doing...in fact some of them were labeled strenuous and IMHO were badly described and IMHO not a problem for people with moderate mobility issues that do not require a wheelchair. In Bergen we did a bus tour of the city and a guided tour of Edvard Grieg's home; in Geiranger and Stavinger we did boat rides on the fjords that were beautiful; we also did the Flam Railway which is not to be missed and the most strenuous part of the tour was the 2-3 steps on and off the train. One really nice thing about Norway is that the ports are within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants and the tour buses pick you up very close to the dock. The Flam RR is less than 1/4 mile walk on flat surface. The boat rides were almost next to the ship! Plenty to do for the older generation..... I've been all over the world and Norway is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.... GO....You won't be sorry.

off topic to Cynbar: how much snow did you get? We're on eastern LI and got about 16". Finally stopped about hour ago.

I know it's been mentioned but I am going to highlight it again. There is a big difference between water resistant and water proof and you should use waterproof shoes/boots and outerwear.

We were on the same cruise as Tickled Blue - hi Joe!

We had a variety of weather which we had expected and planned for.

Also check your Norwegian holiday calendar. We thoroughly enjoyed being a part of Constitution Day.

Make sure you are aft as you depart from Geiranger. The ship sails in a narrow channel (not as narrow as Icy Straits in Alaska) but makes one wonder how those isolated houses could have been build and then there are the waterfalls......

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I had a serious accident and as result I have difficulty with walking distance and uneven surfaces as well as balance issues. X has plenty of Norway excursions that are rated moderate that I had no trouble doing...in fact some of them were labeled strenuous and IMHO were badly described and IMHO not a problem for people with moderate mobility issues that do not require a wheelchair. In Bergen we did a bus tour of the city and a guided tour of Edvard Grieg's home; in Geiranger and Stavinger we did boat rides on the fjords that were beautiful; we also did the Flam Railway which is not to be missed and the most strenuous part of the tour was the 2-3 steps on and off the train. One really nice thing about Norway is that the ports are within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants and the tour buses pick you up very close to the dock. The Flam RR is less than 1/4 mile walk on flat surface. The boat rides were almost next to the ship! Plenty to do for the older generation..... I've been all over the world and Norway is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.... GO....You won't be sorry.

off topic to Cynbar: how much snow did you get? We're on eastern LI and got about 16". Finally stopped about hour ago.

Thanks to you and others for your replies, you've relieved my mind. DH uses a cane but he does walk, just a little slowly, no wheelchair needed (yet!) . I think I'll go ahead and put down a deposit.

As for the snow, we only got a coating here on Cape Cod, but the winds and the flooding were terrible. Cape Cod Bay came up over the seawalls and many of the roads on the north side were flooded. Off Cape, 12-14 inches was the total. Now we're all in the deep freeze! Wish we were in the Caribbean but we're pursuing cataract surgery for our dog, so no winter vacation for us this year.

I have been twice both trips in May and the weather was beautiful and sunny but cold, my husband came back with a tan on his face. I just wore thermal t-shirt with blouse and thermal tights n jeans with waterproof jacket and was perfectly fine.

Don't worry, exists a lot of tours to choose, always will be one that fits you. Every tour we take was the best of our lives. I suggest look in this board for the ports you will visit, very helpful.

Flåm, Noruega. 6 Agosto, 2000, View from RCCL Splendour of the Seas

20604465_1946201262289335_5805496982762889335_n.jpg?oh=18066f86c6a940c4d561a5cf53c4c5f8&oe=5AEA7E04

Cynbar: Photo from Gerelmx is Flam RR station and was probably taken from the ship! The red building on left is the station..and you can see the path that you will walk from the ship. The rest of the buildings on the right are shops and restaurants.

We topped out at 15.8"....saw some pix of Boston with sea water flooding the streets. Fortunately we're on the south shore but not in the flood zone.