Personal Mobility Scooter HELP

luvbluseas

Help please? We are sailing on the Crown Princess at the end of January. My husband “has” to have a mobility scooter with him. We have 2, both are 3 wheelers, his is larger with more power, but larger are we do not think it will fit doorways etc so we are going to take mine. It is almost new Pride Go-Go LX with Suspension. Our problem is we are worried about boarding. Will he be able to drive it up the ramp? He is a big guy, weighs about 290. He had his most of his foot amputated and it is still healing he can NOT walk.

I called Princess and they said “well if he can’t drive it up we recomm6he not bring it”! Well that is helpful, that means we don’t go!! If we rent one they take them onboard thru the lower deck BUT he could not get to the cabin, I cannot push him up the ramp in a wheelchair. One time-a long time ago-they tried to board him in a wheelchair, it was an old, cheap wheelchair and the front wheel broke. DH was so embarrassed, he will never do that again. Any ideas?

Our experiences on a few cruises, for what it's worth -

1. we reserve a HC accessible cabin (I realize it's too late for you to do that)

2. I rent a heavy duty scooter from specialneedsatsea that is waiting in the cabin. I use wheelchair assistance to get onboard and have never had an issue. I've seen people weighing significantly more than your husband being pushed on board in wheelchairs.

3. My cabinmate brings her personal scooter and just drives it right up the ramp and onboard. She's never had an issue.

Good luck!

We just got off Regal and maybe it might be the same for Crown There are two gang ways that you can use to board the ship. One of them is on I think deck 6, the other is deck 5. Take the gang way that goes to the lower deck. The angle is not steep, as were the other one is a much steeper incline. I just go over to the one that is less steep, even if they want me to use the other as long as it is open.

Our experiences on a few cruises, for what it's worth -

1. we reserve a HC accessible cabin (I realize it's too late for you to do that)

2. I rent a heavy duty scooter from specialneedsatsea that is waiting in the cabin. I use wheelchair assistance to get onboard and have never had an issue. I've seen people weighing significantly more than your husband being pushed on board in wheelchairs.

3. My cabinmate brings her personal scooter and just drives it right up the ramp and onboard. She's never had an issue.

Good luck!

My wife always uses her travel scoot https://www.travelscoot.com which has been all over the world and she can even load it into our Nissan Quest with no trouble! Grand Princess has wide passenger corridors but most other ships have narrow ones and are a nuisance when room stewards have their service carts in the halls! Her travel scoot even folds flat and fits in a duffle bag along with the non spillable air line approved battery. Also she has NO trouble boarding on it!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

Edited by p010ne

Doorways in non handicap cabins are 22 inches wide if that helps. Scooters can not be left in the hallways overnight.

I neglected to say we do have a handicapped cabin on the Baja deck. I do not know how wide their doorways are that is why we are bringing my scooter - mine is 22” wide, his is wider.

I also use a scooter. The doorways on handicap accessible Princess cabins are 32 inches wide. Measure his scooter at its widest point and I think you will be pleased to find you can bring his scooter. The entry to the bathroom is also 32 inches. The bathroom has a shower seat and flat access. I bring water shoes for the shower as the floor gets wet both in and outside the shower which is quite a problem for me in transferring back to the scooter.

We sailed on the Regal over Christmas. My son is in a wheelchair. When we got on the ship as well as on and off at the various ports they had several men in blue vests with a wheelchair logo on the back that took the wheelchair from me and pushed my son up or down the ramp. They did not give me the choice to push him myself. They said that it was required.

At a few of the ports where the ramp was steep they had one man in front of the WC and one man pushing the chair. If your husband is unable to ride his scooter up the ramp he should be able to transfer to a port WC to get on the ship. I imagine one of the workers could then either ride or push the empty scooter up the ramp.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also use a scooter. The doorways on handicap accessible Princess cabins are 32 inches wide. Measure his scooter at its widest point and I think you will be pleased to find you can bring his scooter. The entry to the bathroom is also 32 inches. The bathroom has a shower seat and flat access. I bring water shoes for the shower as the floor gets wet both in and outside the shower which is quite a problem for me in transferring back to the scooter.

Thank you! His scooter is a Pride, Victory 10, 3 wheeler. He does not have the arms and it is 24” wide. He would feel better if he brought that scooter. So you say the doors should be plenty wide enough for that so we will go with that and pray that it all works out.

Thank you for your help!