Anyone on BA in Winter Storm Grayson off Carolinas?

SailBreakaway

So our train pulls into NY at 1 PM tomorrow. What the hell are we supposed to do for 6 hours with 3 large suitcases and a couple small ones? Called NCL about getting into the terminal early (Not even to check in, just to hang out) , and she said she can't answer that question for sure. ***? It's one thing if it's nice out, but it's supposed to be -8* windchill in NY tomorrow afternoon. :mad:

On board here. Platinum member with NCL + 10 + cruises ... have also questioned some of the decisions made ... biggest issue right now is that people want to stay on board Friday into Saturday, and NCL is not budging...

7pm update from captian...nothing new- after a really rough wave...

Wow, what can we say ... sound like we are going to read (hear) a lot more later on. Probably a corporate decision made by Miami's HQ with the orders to stand firm :o

A bit of positive news on air travel, just got notifications that LGA Airport has reopened just now, ahead of schedule ... there could be stranded travelers prepared to camp out overnight, if the airlines have equipment & crews with pilots, ready to go and start their flight recoveries.

Can you share the location of the ship at the moment, speed & course/heading ?? ( ~ Channel 21, with the Navigation #'s, as I recall) since it's out of range for most of us trying to figure out the late arrival ... must've done a big loop going around earlier ??

So our train pulls into NY at 1 PM tomorrow. What the hell are we supposed to do for 6 hours with 3 large suitcases and a couple small ones? Called NCL about getting into the terminal early (Not even to check in, just to hang out) , and she said she can't answer that question for sure. ***? It's one thing if it's nice out, but it's supposed to be -8* windchill in NY tomorrow afternoon. :mad:

If you just want to hang out stay in Penn Station. There are lots of restaurants there.

We are staying overnight again in NYC. NCL site stated you could board at 6-10 pm Friday but robo call states 8-10 pm. To avoid what I'm sure is going to be a very chaotic experience and due to health and safety concerns we are opting to stay overnight again on Friday and will board on Saturday. Good luck to all.

Wow, what can we say ... sound like we are going to read (hear) a lot more later on. Probably a corporate decision made by Miami's HQ with the orders to stand firm :o

A bit of positive news on air travel, just got notifications that LGA Airport has reopened just now, ahead of schedule ... there could be stranded travelers prepared to camp out overnight, if the airlines have equipment & crews with pilots, ready to go and start their flight recoveries.

Can you share the location of the ship at the moment, speed & course/heading ?? ( ~ Channel 21, with the Navigation #'s, as I recall) since it's out of range for most of us trying to figure out the late arrival ... must've done a big loop going around earlier ??

Obviously a no win situation for NCL. On one hand, people that want to stay on board another day. On the other hand people stranded while waiting to get on board that want to board ASAP.. As others have posted, luckily the majority of people don't fly to NY to take a winter cruise. But there is no way to please everyone in this situation.

It's probably good you have time to kill, because transportation may be an issue tomorrow. Most NYC hotels we store your bags even if you're not staying with them, for a small fee. If that is not an option, I'd stay at Penn rather than head to terminal.

Had a chance to read over the other posts. Can't confirm or deny some of the rumors. Our balcony door did hold, (13 port) though during the heaviest of winds last night it sounded like it wasn't. (Whistling from the direct winds) There is still quite a bit of condensation on the door. Can confirm the list-- it was pretty severe-- my glasses, phone and book shifted from the nightstand into the bed during the night. The list also made showering difficult as we were listing port and drain was starboard:D

Yes, carpets are wet, especially on 8. Also seems to a few toilets clogged by moderno but think this was a buffet issue, not storm related ;p

People were out and about, some sleeping in the atrium and wherever chairs could be found. We had the spa pass and slept there for a bit this afternoon. (Pool but not jacuzzi was drained yesterday, then refilled. ) Both were drained and empty today. It was rocking and rolling from the bow, but at least you could see what was happening.

Biggest issue today was the lack of elevators. Only two are working for each bank. 2 in front and 2 in back. No word on why or reasoning.

The staff has been great rerouting guests and trying to keep people busy.. Games appeared on the tables outside LeBistro -- burn the floor and the cirque shows where canceled for obvious safety reasons. Atrium and shows in smaller venues moved to the theatre and spiegel tent. All restaurants open.

I did speak with Vuk (hotel director earlier and after captain announced delay) I wanted to know about internet, cause i was supposed to be working at 3. He stated that we would be picking up the pilot boat at noon.

Current location. 37 25 52 n longitude 74 11 24 w Heading 11.8 speed 12.3 knots.

It didn't seem that we were circling, just moving very, very slow.

Side notes: LGA airport ... flights from Delta, JetBlue, etc. had taken off this evening, that's good.

JFK airport - some in't flights have taken off & landed while the airport is officially closed util 7 AM tomorrow, not re-opening @ 1AM as announced.

Obviously a no win situation for NCL ... no way to please everyone in this situation.
Agreed 200% ... they need to clear ship with a zero headcount, passengers off & clear CBP, etc. before those embarking next can be processed to get onboard, whether it's for overnight or not till next day ...

So our train pulls into NY at 1 PM tomorrow. What ... to do for 6 hours with 3 large suitcases and a couple small ones? ... supposed to be -8* windchill in NY tomorrow afternoon. :mad:
Amtrak arrival into NY Penn Station, there is supposed to be luggage storage inside, for a nominal fee - check & ask the red caps and/or check the directory/map.

Schwartz Luggage with ground floor storage is another option - walk several blocks (I know) to W. 37th Street, between 8th & 9th Ave (exit NYP via 8th. Ave/33rd St, shorter route) - then, maybe do some window shopping inside Macy's - hangout in the cellar ... or, nearest Starbucks ?? - eat something light (maybe) before getting your luggage & head over to the pier.

http://schwartztravel.com/_index.php

On board here. Platinum member with NCL + 10 + cruises. It is definitely been the roughest I have ever experienced and I've sailed on the Breakaway before at this time of year. I have to admit that I have also questioned some of the decisions made on this Cruise. It started with the decision to try and have the Private Island day. Tendering started @8 and was discontinued by 10:30. The winds were high, it was raining, and there was some very bad tender rides trying to get everyone back on the ship. I lost a great deal of faith over that decision. I have video of the tenders and it was not pretty. The staff is doing their best, and when the captain announced the late arrival, officers were en mass in the atrium to start handling questions. The biggest issue right now is that people want to stay on board Friday into Saturday, and NCL is not budging...

7pm update from captian...nothing new- after a really rough wave...

I don't blame NCL for not budging. Friday is the last day for this cruise...it may be late but it's arriving on the right day. You didn't pay for an extra day but the people who are supposed to board on Friday paid for Friday. So it's understandable that NCL would accommodate those passengers since they paid for that day to board. They can't accommodate both cruise date passengers so they had to make a choice. I understand the frustration but everyone has to fend for themselves in certain situations. There are no perfect solutions here.

Not only do we get to still get on Friday. We get re embursed for that day fully

I see it as s night to unpack without missing anything

Now that's the spirit! Sometimes you just have to adjust yourself to the situation otherwise you spoil your entire time with the rotten mood you think you deserve to have. Good for you!

If I understand correctly....you are arriving at penn at 1pm on Friday Jan 5? For a cruise that was originally set to leave on Friday Jan 5 ?

Good thing the ship has been delayed I guess

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just been the biggest headache I've had outta all cruises.

Weather sucks but it is what it is.

Still away for 13 days better than

just can't afford a big schedule change again

I know what you mean. Our cruise is behind yours. I am stressing big time that another storm will occur and our cruise will have the same problems. I would not mind if it were only hubby and I who live only short time away from the port ( 1 and a half hours away driving by car ), but my brother is fly in from California....so my stress comes from making sure he arrives on time. He is 76 years old and has "memory issues". I am at my wit's end trying to make sure he remembers all his documents and things he needs. LOL Oh,my....life is way too short, but we can't help ourselves with stress. we are human.

Note that i was just reporting the frustration onboard- no need to lecture. I drove to the port. I always plan an extra day eiter side when flying. Crap happens and better to be prepared. People asked what was going on and I told you...from the atrium as it was happening.

Note that i was just reporting the frustration onboard- no need to lecture. I drove to the port. I always plan an extra day eiter side when flying. Crap happens and better to be prepared. People asked what was going on and I told you...from the atrium as it was happening.
No problem...although I don't see anyone lecturing you. Sometimes people give advice that seems like a lecture. LOL

As bad as the weather is affecting the Breakaway, it is a walk in the park compared to what those aboard the QM2 are facing on their transatlantic voyage....it delayed its departure yesterday until this morning from Brooklyn, and look at this...

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/NATL-Southern/index.html

Of course, the QM2 was designed and built to handle whatever the North Atlantic could throw at it....including a deep draft, and ample power reserve to circumnavigate storms, and still make it to port on schedule...

I read quite a few Tweets (and a couple posts here on CC) that said the ship was listing 7%, 8%, and one even said 10%. How would a passenger find out the degree of listing unless they were speaking to officers from the bridge. I never remember it being on the Navigational channel on other ships I’ve been on in bad weather. I would think the Bridge Crew would be in “All hands on Deck mode” and not have time to B.S. with passengers. I further doubt if they did have time that they would tell the passengers how far the ship was listing.

I’m not saying the ship isn’t listing as I’m sure it is, but making up numbers just causes more stress and anxiety for the pax on the ship who are already very stressed as well as their families back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read quite a few Tweets (and a couple posts here on CC) that said the ship was listing 7%, 8%, and one even said 10%. How would a passenger find out the degree of listing unless they were speaking to officers from the bridge. I never remember it being on the Navigational channel on other ships I’ve been on in bad weather. I would think the Bridge Crew would be in “All hands on Deck mode” and not have time to B.S. with passengers. I further doubt if they did have time that they would tell the passengers how far the ship was listing.

I’m not saying the ship isn’t listing as I’m sure it is, but making up numbers just causes more stress and anxiety for the pax on the ship who are already very stressed as well as their families back home.

What? You don't carry an inclinometer with you?:p

Or a protractor and a plumb line?:)

There's probably some app on your smartphone that could measure it....:D

What? You don't carry an inclinometer with you?:p

Or a protractor and a plumb line?:)

There's probably some app on your smartphone that could measure it....:D

Lol. It just amazes me how some people live for drama. The one post I read said people were in the stairways with their life jackets on. Come on! We were on an Alaskan cruise and hit some bad weather and I never even thought to put my life jacket on. To each his own though.

If I understand correctly....you are arriving at penn at 1pm on Friday Jan 5? For a cruise that was originally set to leave on Friday Jan 5 ?

Good thing the ship has been delayed I guess

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why? 2 hrs from Penn station to the pier is not enough? Please. :rolleyes: