Credit card/debit card

nana51

I will be traveling with my grandson who will be using his debit card for his expenses. I always use a credit card. I can’t remember what the amount is they put on hold. He may have to use my credit card instead as I don’t think he will have a ton of money in his account. I guess I or his mom can advance what he needs.

It used to be $60 per day, but I don’t know if that is still accurate.

Realize that the hold may remain on his debit card for several days after the cruise even after the bill is paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you do your on-line check in on the Holland America Website (30 or more days before sailing), you will have an opportunity to authorize your credit card for onboard charges by others in your stateroom. If you are comfortable with that of course, then your grandson could pay you back at the end. You will not actually be using your credit card around the ship, your stateroom key card will act as payment onboard (you may already know this). You will get an itemized receipt at the end of the cruise, so it shouldn't be to hard to sort out your charges from the ones made on your grandson's key card.

Just a heads up on a related issue... My sister and I shared a cabin in October. Even though we had both input our credit cards, all charges went to my card and my card alone. When we received our final bill, my sister went to guest services and had them put all her charges on her card. (They are identified by room key.) This may be the best route to take so there isn't a hold placed on his card from the outset.

• 6 months later...

How Long After Sailing Do Credit Card Charges Post?

How long after the cruise ends do the credit card charges actually clear and post to your credit card? Although I have sailed HAL a number of times, I do not remember. Any recent Zaandam passengers remember how many days it took to clear and post?

THANKS! :p

On cruises 25 days and under, the credit/debit card hold is $60 per day per person. On cruises 26 days and up, the hold is $30 per day/per person. With my cards, the hold hits your card sometime after the first day out of port. In my case, the hold drops off the card after 4 or 5 days. I have heard that this hold drop depends on the card and issuing bank. You also have the option of providing a cash deposit in lieu of a credit card.