Recommended HAL Wines

Epicureangirl

I know from your posts, many of you are wine-lovers and recent cruisers of HAL. Would any of you be willing to share some recommendations? It doesn't have to be only from the Wine Packages, it can be by-the-bottle selections available in the MDR or PG too.

I did read there may be some changes coming with the Wine Packages, and have been following that thread -- I won't really know until I'm on my cruise what will be available to me so the more suggestions the better! Thanks all... :wine-glass:

We have signature beverage cards included in our cruise. I checked, and my favourite wine, Decoy is available on board. But I won't be able to get it even if we purchased an elite beverage package. That's a bummer!

We have signature beverage cards included in our cruise. I checked, and my favourite wine, Decoy is available on board. But I won't be able to get it even if we purchased an elite beverage package. That's a bummer!

Is it available by the bottle in the MDR? Which varietal of it do they have?

We bring a couple of bottles of Decoy with us and pay corkage.

We found the Del Toro Chilean Cab OK. Also liked the Danzante Pinot Grigio

I think you’re allowed to bring on 1 bottle of wine for in room consumption? Is it 1 bottle each, or 1 per stateroom?

I’m thinking I saw it on the Pinnacle menu posted by Joanie. It’s a California wine, and the varietal escapes me. :confused:

I’m thinking I saw it on the Pinnacle menu posted by Joanie. It’s a California wine, and the varietal escapes me. :confused:

I think you’re allowed to bring on 1 bottle of wine for in room consumption? Is it 1 bottle each, or 1 per stateroom?

One bottle per person no charge for in room. We just pay corkage and get the stickers as we will bring them to dinner.

You can bring as much on as you want- just pay $18 per bottle for corkage.

I would have really liked to bring some wine with me this trip, but I'm a bit worried about it going in my check-in luggage to Singapore. It would pretty much ruin the start of my trip if I end up with red wine spilled over everything in the suitcase. Not just because of the clothes, but losing my precious wine! :loudcry:

Thanks for sharing your experience with those selections.

If you travel enough it might be worthwhile to purchase a wine suitcase. We purchased a 12 bottle for less than $200 at total wine. Total weight is 50lbs with wine so no “heavy bag” charge. We have found it quite worthwhile even if we have to pay for an additional bag!

If you travel enough it might be worthwhile to purchase a wine suitcase. We purchased a 12 bottle for less than $200 at total wine. Total weight is 50lbs with wine so no “heavy bag” charge. We have found it quite worthwhile even if we have to pay for an additional bag!

That would probably be worth it for me, and we don't usually take our max amount of bags allowed anyhow. I'm not sure I could get one in time for this trip though as I leave Friday (I'm in Canada so buying online and shipping usually takes longer then that).

I had looked at the padded envelopes type things for wine, but wasn't sure they were sturdy enough. I will definitely look in to the wine suitcase though, thanks for the suggestion.

P.S.

Do you happen to know if champagne bottles will fit in the wine suitcase as well? Sometimes those bottles are a bit bulkier.

Edited by Epicureangirl
P.S. added.

I believe the had a Decoy Merlot for approx $95. Same wine arount $20 at Total Wine so witth corkage less than 1/2 the HAL price.

Duckhorn Decoy is on the PG wine list.

$72 per bottle.

$18 per glass.

Obviously not included on any wine/beverage package.

BTW, Wine Enthusiast has a six bottle canvas wine bag for $69:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/accessories/travel-byo/wine-bags.asp?fpid=36849&AFID=ZFRG&SRCCODE=PGGL10&product_id=951%2024&adpos=1o1&creative=78407372661&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=2990433321&mrkgcl=154&rkg_id=h-471587af8aeecaf379c498766e0fbc9b_t-1515366251&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JbVHT8r5W-IFCYa-nEDoYf1PxnRKCJqAkcINyFG83czp8um0n7vWO0aAi5eEALw_wcB

We're flying into Tampa the day before our next cruise. We plan on pre-ordering six bottles from Total Wine that we will pickup on our way to the port.

We'll be packed in two roller carry-ons. We'll use the canvas bag for carrying incidentals on the flight. It will stow under the seat.

We're planning on picking up a Duckhorn Napa Cab and a Duckhorn Napa Merlot. Haven't decided on the Pinot yet. Will also get a couple of chardonays and one sparkling wine. Seven day cruise. We usually don't drink the last night.

Champagne bottles do fit! The one we purchased is a Vin Garde. We have traveled 3 international trips with it so far. It was also nice to purchase some wines during our last med cruise and to take home with us!

Great! I'm not a huge Champagne drinker, but we always seem to have a bottle of Veuve around and it would be a nice first or last night choice I think.

Singapore is only going to allow 2 bottle per adult to come in with us, so sadly I can only bring 4 bottles (and that's a 15 day cruise!). I might try to get some wine envelopes this time and then get the suitcase for future trips.

I believe the had a Decoy Merlot for approx $95. Same wine arount $20 at Total Wine so witth corkage less than 1/2 the HAL price.

That same wine is not available in Ontario. The Cab Sav is ~ $37.00 CDN!

Not sure if we have transfers included in our “all inclusive” rate, if not, we will pre-order 2 bottles for pickup at Total Wines!

That same wine is not available in Ontario. The Cab Sav is ~ $37.00 CDN!

Not sure if we have transfers included in our “all inclusive” rate, if not, we will pre-order 2 bottles for pickup at Total Wines!

True, in BC we have the Sonoma Cab Sav for $37CDN, and the Chardonnay available -- but no Merlot.

Great! I'm not a huge Champagne drinker, but we always seem to have a bottle of Veuve around and it would be a nice first or last night choice I think.

Singapore is only going to allow 2 bottle per adult to come in with us, so sadly I can only bring 4 bottles (and that's a 15 day cruise!). I might try to get some wine envelopes this time and then get the suitcase for future trips.

Loooks like Changi airport has a duty free wine shop and the prices are not bad...certainly less then punching onboard ship!

https://www.ishopchangi.com/productlistings/wine-spirits-38/wine-204/red-wine-206

Loooks like Changi airport has a duty free wine shop and the prices are not bad...certainly less then punching onboard ship!

https://www.ishopchangi.com/productlistings/wine-spirits-38/wine-204/red-wine-206

I read a bunch of threads (not on CC, just when searching google about Singapore duty-free, wine prices and import allowances etc.) and from what I understand you can purchase that duty-free wine when exiting Singapore but not on arrival at the airport. Even when I fly from Canada to the US, I have to show my boarding-pass, and if I purchase it in a shop before going past customs, they will not give it to me immediately -- They will deliver it on the other side for me near the boarding gate of my departing flight.

In general, it seems that Singapore prices for wine are high, especially on the familiar California wines that we are used to having. Which makes sense since they are importing it. I did consider wine-shopping in Singapore, but once I pay their prices and add the $18 corkage fee, I'm not sure I'm really farther ahead of the onboard wine pricing. On the way to Singapore, I have a flight that connects in Hong Kong, so I will go check out the duty-free prices there if I have time, but only for curiosity. I have decided to carefully pack some bottles of my own, even though I will only be allowed to take 4 into Singapore.

We like the Toro as well as when purchased in a wine package we get 50% off which on our recent Prinsendam cruise brought the cost down to $18.57 per bottle.

We like the Toro as well as when purchased in a wine package we get 50% off which on our recent Prinsendam cruise brought the cost down to $18.57 per bottle.

It seems to me like the wine just tastes so much better once you get that 5* mariners discount. ;) Being a lowly two-star, if I purchase a 'meh' wine, it is more painful. I better get working adding some more stars...