Recommended HAL Wines

Epicureangirl

It seems to me like the wine just tastes so much better once you get that 5* mariners discount. ;) Being a lowly two-star, if I purchase a 'meh' wine, it is more painful. I better get working adding some more stars...

Yea that discount gets expensive ;p;p

You need another 400 cruise days. $100 PD, two people. Another $80,000 and you're there. Or, you could just go to Total Wine.

I think it will be more fun to do it the first way... but I will need something to get by with in the meantime! :D I have tracked down some of the padded wine bottle packaging for now, and will look for this wine suitcase in Total Wine the next time I'm in the US (or will do some online shopping).

I could reduce the actual cruise days required, by booking suites and buying a lot onboard ($300 equals a WHOLE cruise day with your onboard spending!). I would spend WAY more than 80K getting there... :')

P.S. Or I could just go to Total Wine.

Edited by Epicureangirl
P.S. added.

It seems to me like the wine just tastes so much better once you get that 5* mariners discount. ;) Being a lowly two-star, if I purchase a 'meh' wine, it is more painful. I better get working adding some more stars...

If it's the 50% discount you're looking at, all you need are 4*s, and 3 will get you a 25%discount.

If it's the 50% discount you're looking at, all you need are 4*s, and 3 will get you a 25%discount.
That's true! Now that I look at the different tiers more carefully, 4* would be the sweet-spot for me. I usually eat at the specialty restaurants, frequent the explorations cafe and pay for daily laundry too. I would use those perks, not just for the wine package. Thanks for pointing that out.:)

I've liked the Australian Black Opal Shiraz and the Ruffino Pinot Grigio - which they always seem to have: nothing great, but enjoyable. Of course, you will almost always do better buying several bottles of your favorites ashore -either pre-boarding or at port calls - and paying the corkage.

I'll keep those in mind, navybankerteacher. Thank you. On arrival in Singapore, I can only have 4 bottles with me, but I could certainly pick some up in the city if I find anything I like and seems reasonable (once I add the corkage). I am somewhat doubtful about wine options in my other ports, though I haven't researched what wine to expect in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I know they will have wine, just not sure where -- the mall?

I'll keep those in mind, navybankerteacher. Thank you. On arrival in Singapore, I can only have 4 bottles with me, but I could certainly pick some up in the city if I find anything I like and seems reasonable (once I add the corkage). I am somewhat doubtful about wine options in my other ports, though I haven't researched what wine to expect in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. I know they will have wine, just not sure where -- the mall?

My son travels regularly in SE Asia for the Dept. of Commerce --- I understand you will have no problem finding French wines in Viet Nam - or in Bangkok - if that is on your itinerary. The only problems with "re-supplying" might be in Indonesian ports.

I did check a wine website for a store in Bangkok. The majority of wine listings were from Australia, New Zealand and few from France (though I wasn't familiar with any of them). For kicks I looked up on my local wine site one of the bottles from Australia on their site. Here (in BC Canada) it sells for $10 CAD. Converting THB to CAD the same bottle was $29. Ouch. I'd hate to know what a $30 bottle here costs in THB. I will see if it is similar with the French wines, though I read the import taxes are very high in Thailand. I honestly don't know Australian wine at all, so couldn't spot a better-bottle without looking it up in Wine Spectator.:o

I’m thinking I saw it on the Pinnacle menu posted by Joanie. It’s a California wine, and the varietal escapes me. :confused:

Decoy is the low end of the offerings in the Goldeneye wine stable, which also includes Duckhorn. Goldeneye is headquartered in Philo (Anderson Valley in Mendocino County). If you're bringing wine onboard that is subject to a corkage fee, OP may want to consider something that retails for far more than a $20 Decoy at Total Wine (or Safeway).

IMO, A good Anderson Valley Pinot Noir or Chardonnay in the $30-50 range would be a nice treat and make that corkage fee less of an imposition. If price is an "issue" look at Navarro (also in Philo). If you join their "club," you can get 1 cent shipping by for a case purchase (if your state allows it).

Navarro is hard to find in stores (they do mostly restaurants and their club). But, if you're near a Total Wine, look for Martin Ray wines (Santa Rosa in Sonoma County). Among a host of great wines across a spectrum of prices, they have IMO the best Rosé of Pinot Noir available in the US. Like Goldeneye, Martin Ray has a low end wine label too. It's called Angeline and it's decent stuff at a very reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great information Flatbush Flyer, thanks! I have had the Duckhorn Cab before, but had not heard of Decoy. When I first saw the bottle I thought are they pretending to be Duckhorn? Which I must say makes the name that much more clever.

Great information Flatbush Flyer, thanks! I have had the Duckhorn Cab before, but had not heard of Decoy. When I first saw the bottle I thought are they pretending to be Duckhorn? Which I must say makes the name that much more clever.

Agree!

I haven't seen Duckhorn Cab in Ontario (Canada) - but I will take a look online, to see if it is available.:confused:

Decoy is the low end of the offerings in the Goldeneye wine stable, which also includes Duckhorn. Goldeneye is headquartered in Philo (Anderson Valley in Mendocino County). If you're bringing wine onboard that is subject to a corkage fee, OP may want to consider something that retails for far more than a $20 Decoy at Total Wine (or Safeway).

IMO, A good Anderson Valley Pinot Noir or Chardonnay in the $30-50 range would be a nice treat and make that corkage fee less of an imposition. If price is an "issue" look at Navarro (also in Philo). If you join their "club," you can get 1 cent shipping by for a case purchase (if your state allows it).

Navarro is hard to find in stores (they do mostly restaurants and their club). But, if you're near a Total Wine, look for Martin Ray wines (Santa Rosa in Sonoma County). Among a host of great wines across a spectrum of prices, they have IMO the best Rosé of Pinot Noir available in the US. Like Goldeneye, Martin Ray has a low end wine label too. It's called Angeline and it's decent stuff at a very reasonable price.

I'm looking for a good pinot noir and a chardonnay. Here's a Martin Ray list for total wine. Which Pinot and Chardonnay are you recommending?

http://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=Martin%20Ray&page=1

We've enjoyed the Duckhorn Decoy Merlot and Cab. We had a Duckhorn Napa can last weekend and it was significantly smoother.

I'm looking for a good pinot noir and a chardonnay. Here's a Martin Ray list for total wine. Which Pinot and Chardonnay are you recommending?

http://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=Martin%20Ray&page=1

We've enjoyed the Duckhorn Decoy Merlot and Cab. We had a Duckhorn Napa can last weekend and it was significantly smoother.

The best wine (by far) on that list is the Synthesis. Google it's reviews.

After that, I'd suggest both the Green Valley Pinot Noir and Green Valley Chardonnay. The other Total Wine selections are meant for the average consumer. Martin Ray has other wines that approach The quality of Synthesis. But, your best bet in getting them is to buy direct from the winery.

BTW, one of my favorites is their Chardonnay from the Santa Cruz mountains. And do try the "estate" version of the Rosé of Pinot Noir. Definitely not sweet as most people fear when they hear rosé.