Rollators & Scooters

Lynda S

We are booked on a cruise in July and my husband is a little worried about his mobility issues that seem to be developing. We are new to this and have a couple of questions. Around town at home he has been using a rollator occasionally. I had said 'lets take it with us' and then thought of the airlines. Are rollators gate checked? Or, can we leave it at home and rent one aboard the cruise ship?

If not, can he rent a scooter or do people bring their own?

Hi Lynda,

My husband has mobility issues and we've cruised a lot out of Seattle to Alaska. We drive so can't speak to the airlines but I can speak to the ships. We rent a scooter from "CareVacations" (I think they have a new name now). The scooter is delivered to the cabin, charged and ready to go. It's easy to use on ship (especially if you're used to driving one) and it's easy to take off in Alaska ports. If you do excursions that use the Gray Line buses the scooters fit in the luggage bays. This last year we also rented a walker and that went very well. I do have my husband wheel-chaired on and off (tip to the pusher) and that works very well. They take him directly to the cabin and makes things so much easier.

Karen

I cruise with my elderly father and he uses a rollator.

We have flown several times. When we check our baggage, We let them know that my dad needs to get to the gate with the rollator. Once at the gate my dad gets a tag put on the rollator. Because of the rollator we get priority boarding. Once we go down the gangway to the plane, my dad leaves the rollator at the gangway to be checked.

Once we land, we wait for everyone else on the plane to exit and usually by that time the rollator has been unloaded.

The Airlines we have flown with the rollator have been

American, Delta and Southwest.

I do have to fill out A special requirements form with Hal with the dimensions and weight of the rollator.

My dad is independent and stubborn and refuses to go on the Ship with a wheelchair. My PCC always put a wheel chair request in, just in case.

I have mobility issues as well.

I leave my Rollator at home.

I rent a Rollator from Care Vacations. Have used them since 2012. They also have scooters to rent. I don't trust the airlines -- they can damage anything.

I arrange for wheelchair assistance in the airports. Our TA arranges for HAL to have me wheelchaired onto the ship on embarkation day and the same thing for disembarkation day.

To the OP, this is the general HAL board where you can get lots of information about sailing on HAL---including how they handle passengers using mobility equipment. Feel free to ask anything you like.

But you should also know that there is another forum on Cruise Critic, the Disabled Cruisers forum, where there are a lot more questions asked and answered. You might find some useful information if you read through some of the threads there. You can also ask questions more specific about traveling with disabilities and equipment there.

Care Vacations is now known as Scootaround. The other mobility equipment company that HAL allows is Special Needs at Sea. Both have websites, and both entertain phone calls where you can ask all the questions your heart desires. I have been particularly pleased with Special Needs at Sea, but that is nothing against the other company.

Thank you everyone for answering - this is great information. I think we will look on the Care Vacations website and see about renting a Rollator, I think that would be easier than bringing one along.

Ruth, thank you for the info on the Disabled Cruisers forum, I wasn't aware of this, I will go there and do some general reading!

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for answering - this is great information. I think we will look on the Care Vacations website and see about renting a Rollator, I think that would be easier than bringing one along.

Ruth, thank you for the info on the Disabled Cruisers forum, I wasn't aware of this, I will go there and do some general reading!

Thanks!

I have been traveling with a Rollator for the last two years. (more than 10 flights) I check it with my luggage without any problems and cost, and it is processed with large checked items, not sent down the conveyor belt with regular bags.

It has suffered less nicks than my luggage. I do request and utilize wheelchair service in airports after checking in.