Volendam vs Nieuw Amsterdam

Texansonboard

First time cruisers here, 3 generations (80s, 50 and 12/16 year old). The itineraries are the same for June 2018. What is different about these ships, to decide one vs other? We are here for Alaska, not the ship.Thanks!

I have read these threads for months, thank you so much for all the help and insights, the knowledge is priceless!

Volendam is smaller, carries fewer people, shorter distances to walk to get from one place to another (might be a concern for the 80s in your group). Has fewer cabins with balconies, so balcony cabins are more expensive on the Volendam than on the NA.

I believe the Volendam sails on Wednesdays, so you may have fewer ships in port with you.

Check the port schedules here:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

We had the same situation and decided on Volendam mainly because it’s Wed to Wed and there are fewer boats in the ports for the Juneau and Skagway days. Also we were able to fly in/out using points midweek. We weren’t booking a balcony so that was a moot point. I hear the NA has a specialty restaurant called Tamarind that people like. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were deciding between these two ships and chose NA because it sails Saturday to Saturday, which works out better for our family, with fewer work days affected. On the other hand, with the generally preferred Sat-Sat time frame does increase the overall congestion in the ports, and you may find lower crowds and better enjoyment of the ports with the Volendam?

I know you said you are going for Alaska and not the ship, but the NA does receive consistently higher ratings than Volendam, though you will find some who prefer smaller ships. Have you checked out the reviews of the two ships on these boards? All else being equal, why not choose the higher rated ship?

I have not yet sailed on either ship, so can't compare, but as others have mentioned above, if you pose the question over on the HAL board, you will surely find many who have sailed on both and can offer more insight!

• 2 months later...
I am in between the two for 2019. Please update us on your experience on the Volendam!

Its only March, don't think they have taken their cruise yet.

I would just book Volendam now. Smaller ship with midweek turnaround...decision made for me.

Its only March, don't think they have taken their cruise yet.

I would just book Volendam now. Smaller ship with midweek turnaround...decision made for me.

Correct, they are booked for June. I am just writing here so they are informed of there members interested in their experience.

Thank you for your input!

I can't compare both ships. However, I can tell you about the Nieuw Amsterdam. We sailed on the NA to Alaska last July and had a wonderful experience: We loved : the ship, the itinerary, the food, the cabin and the crew. The walking deck was outstanding and we never found the outside decks crowded which was a plus when it came time to take photos. In fact, we enjoyed the NA and it's itinerary so much we have booked it again for June 2018 and June 2019.