Kennedy Space Centre - Should we or shouldn't we?

Hot Chilli

At the moment I am tossing up if we should go to the Space Centre. We are 2 Adults & 2 Children from Australia.

The thing is, we have been to the Endeavour Exhibition in Los Angeles. Plus we are planning on going to the Intrepid Air Space Museum in New York & the Air Space Smithsonian in DC. So we will have seen quite a bit of space stuff already.

Whilst I realise at Kennedy we will get to see the launch pads etc and it is special to visit NASA. Will we be repeating a lot of what we have already seen in other locations?

We also would really love to do an Airboat ride as an alternative whilst in port. It's something unique to Florida which we may never get the chance to do again. But equally, we may never get to NASA again either!

What are your thoughts?

given your 'already done' and gonna do list ... I'd go for the airboat

I would say that KSC needs a good 6 hours or more to do it justice. Just the included bus tour will consume 2.5 hours and THAT means you went FIRST and had no queue time, which can be LONG by mid day ....

Having been to both the Air & Space at the Smithsonian and Kennedy Space Center I can tell you they are two completely different experiences. True, an airboat ride is different, unusual and more common, they are not unique to FL. Only you can decide which is more important for your family to do.

The KSC is buzzing with activity and the action will increase far into the future as the Mars landing and Deep Space missions take place.

I think you will be sorry in year's time that you missed it all! The other places on your trip are museums - KSC is the real thing. You may see a rocket on a Launchpad from one of the modern players such as SpaceX

How about doing both? Ignore the ship excursions which are expensive anyways for 4 people. You may end up spending about the same if not less. Since you have visited Space museums elsewhere you need less time at the KSC - in fact you do not even have to visit the Atlantis exhibit!

Assuming your ship arrives at noon and sails at 9:30pm (is this correct?):

1. Rent a car and drive straight to the KSC. Take the pre-booked Explore Bus Tour (not the standard bus tour) to tour the launch areas and end at the Apollo Center. Then bus back to the main complex where you can pick a few sights before returning to your car several hours later. You have to be selective because you have limited time - please read This Guide to the Kennedy Space Center - IMPORTANT - You do not have to join the long lines for this bus tour; you walk right up to the waiting area where your guide will meet you!

2. Drive for 30 minutes to Midway and do a late-afternoon airboat ride. You may have to call them to pre-arrange your later time.

3. Drive back to the Port and drop the car

I had always wanted to do KSC, but never had the chance. One of our cruises repositioned to Houston, where we spent a couple of days and did the space center there. So, last year we were in Orlando and decided to do the KSC to compare. They are nothing alike totally different experiences. We actually spent the whole day there.

Yes we arrive at noon & sail at 9.30pm.

I really like the idea that we could hire a car and see both attractions. Maybe even see Ron Cocoa beach for a bit. But given the car needs to be back before 6.00pm is that enough time? Or do the rental companies stay open later when a ship is in town?? Is there a better company to use??? Their websites aren't very helpful.

Yes we arrive at noon & sail at 9.30pm.

I really like the idea that we could hire a car and see both attractions. Maybe even see Ron Cocoa beach for a bit. But given the car needs to be back before 6.00pm is that enough time? Or do the rental companies stay open later when a ship is in town?? Is there a better company to use??? Their websites aren't very helpful.

All except Budget allow after-hour returns. So that part is easy! You just call an Uber (or taxi) to meet you at the rental-car place for the short ride back to the ship.

Here is a map of the locations and images of the drop-off instructions, etc: http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/car-rental/

At the moment I am tossing up if we should go to the Space Centre. We are 2 Adults & 2 Children from Australia.

The thing is, we have been to the Endeavour Exhibition in Los Angeles. Plus we are planning on going to the Intrepid Air Space Museum in New York & the Air Space Smithsonian in DC. So we will have seen quite a bit of space stuff already.

Whilst I realise at Kennedy we will get to see the launch pads etc and it is special to visit NASA. Will we be repeating a lot of what we have already seen in other locations?

We also would really love to do an Airboat ride as an alternative whilst in port. It's something unique to Florida which we may never get the chance to do again. But equally, we may never get to NASA again either!

What are your thoughts?

Can I throw a kink in your plans a little bit? Skip the Air & Space museum in DC and go to The Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly Virginia. It's not far outside of DC at all and is still part of the Smithsonian. It's much bigger than the building inside the District and has a lot more to see. Not to mention the Space Shuttle Discovery is there and you can get up close and personal with it. They have a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, as well as the Enola Gay. You'll enjoy it much more, I promise. It's free to go to (less parking) since it's still part of the Smithsonian. You won't be disappointed.

To answer your question about KSC, we haven't been yet but just purchased annual passes yesterday and will go in May when we get to Florida. That's definitely something I would not want to miss though.

Can I throw a kink in your plans a little bit? Skip the Air & Space museum in DC and go to The Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly Virginia. It's not far outside of DC at all and is still part of the Smithsonian. It's much bigger than the building inside the District and has a lot more to see. Not to mention the Space Shuttle Discovery is there and you can get up close and personal with it. They have a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, as well as the Enola Gay. You'll enjoy it much more, I promise. It's free to go to (less parking) since it's still part of the Smithsonian. You won't be disappointed.

Absolutely agree. It is a wonderful museum and usually less crowded than the downtown Air and Space Museum. But it is quite a ways outside of DC (it is adjacent to Dulles International Airport) and not on any public transportation lines so a rental car is the best means of travel.

ahhhhhh thank you so much!!!!! that museum in DC looks incredible! This means we can skip the Intrepid Museum in New York and free up a day. It's a shame there is no easy way to get there via public transport or even tourist bus. We seem to be forced to hire a car. But thats OK :)

Looks like the Airboat in Port Canaveral will make the most sense now.

I wouldn't miss KSC. If you are going to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy annex as recommended above you can likely skip the Atlantis part of KSC, I got more out of Udvar-Hazy Center with Discovery than I did from Atlantis at KSC. The presentation at KSC is a little more polished, but getting up surprisingly close to Discovery along with all the early space and military space stuff in Virginia made that a better experience, and that's just the space side. The Aviation side is just as amazing for all that is in there.

I would certainly do KSC but do the bus tour to the Launch pads and the Rocket Garden and the other associated indoor displays and skip Atlantis.