live from the golden

sacway

actually ashore in what used to be Soapy's inet cafe (across street from Havenside, upstairs)

here's what we've noticed so far -- we are in D732, wheelchair accessible.

this & similar cabins (threads elsewhere) have doublesized balconies. two loungers, table & two chairs, third chair & footstool, all PVC in "loved" condition.

this is the "unshaded" deck. our deck has been in full shade about 75% of daylight hours (southern sun & depending how the ship is moored) so people who are worried about Dolphin being too sunny, I would not worry.

we were waitlisted for traditional dining (#152 when we boarded) but made a polite inquiry and are now on traditional dining (hooray)

our CC get together last night was a bust for us -- the 8pm SOS exercise kind of made dining and getting to Wheelhouse @ 9:30 tricky, then there was a flamenco dancer so the place was packed 9:30-10pm -- wouldn't recommend this time this location.

anything else that might interest you all? I've been taking lots of pix & will post full review on return.

BFN

sacway

How is your weather?

We are waitlisted on Golden for traditional late seating dining, about number 250 or something like that. This is for the New Years Eve cruise in just less than two weeks.

To whom did you inquire about getting a traditional dining time, since you were waitlisted prior to sailing? I don't know whether to pursue a regular table or go with personal choice. DH is now talking about doing the buffet so that he/we can stay on our (successful) diets by selecting salads and veggie dishes instead of trying to work around the menus in the diningroom. What do you think?

poetrylady:

The weather is excellent. today in St. Thomas it was about 77 farenheit in the am, supposed to peak at about 80. it's very humid of course. in San Juan the first night was a brief shower but sunning all day Friday and Saturday. A bit of breeziness.

There was a table set up in one of the hallways (sorry, can't remember which but I think it was not far from one or another of the dining rooms -- if you can't find it, ask anyone on staff or at the pursor's desk) with someone to check your dining. we already knew we were "anytime" dining but asked if we couldn't be moved to traditional. we were asked why we wanted traditional (possibly because a lot of us think we want something just because we have something else?) Since we love meeting people and enjoy knowing our waitstaff, this was an easy question. No promises at that time, just that he would check with the maitre-d who was elsewhere. this morning we received our table assignment. They also set up fixed times/tables in the anytime dining room for overflow, so that is another option.

I would encourage you to skip the buffet and eat in the dining rooms, preferably with the same waitstaff every night. The daily menu in the dining room is posted and there is a "spa" choice. We have been very successful over our 8 prior cruises in managing our weight, I believe in part because we'll decide in advance what we'll eat. Our waiters help, by bringing us salads with no dressing, finding plates with smaller portions (portions are too large IMHO). Plus, because the meals are served much more slowly than usual in the US, it's easy to feel full after a couple breadsticks, consomme and a salad, and push away half a plate of entree.

This is separate even from the food quality question. The buffet has been hit or miss so far, possibly because items sit out for long periods of time. Fish at lunch yesterday was inedible, but the steamed green/wax beans were quite good. We had dinner in the restaurant but I noticed that approximately the same menu was available in the buffet, just can't imagine that sitting around benefits the dishes much.

In all but one of my previous 10 cruises, I've had traditional late seating dining and have always enjoyed it. Meeting people is always fun. My favorite group was a table of 9 ladies on Carnival Celebration (I was cruising alone) from various places in the US and a couple (mom and daughter) from S. America. It was a lovely group, all ages represented, and we had a wonderful time teasing our handsome wait staff (especially Mortimer).

I hope we get to keep our traditional dining routine, but we won't know until we board I guess. I have not been in dieting mode on a cruise before, but I agree portions are too large in any case. I shall have a talk with DH and tell him that we CAN diet, even in the diningroom every night.

Let me know if you try any of the specialty restaurants. We love Italian (I know that's not dietary) and Mexican. Steaks... take it or leave it... no place can match the steaks that are home grown right here in western Illinois and cooked on my own grill!!! I'll match our butcher's steaks with Ruth's Chris or Chicago Chop House or Mortons anyday!!!

I hope you will keep up the reports "live" from the Golden.

Thanks so much!!

thx coral, since you asked... :)

This is our first princess cruise, having gone 7 times on celebrity and once on RCI. we originally booked 12/17/05 on X on the Constellation but switched when X cancelled two ports just after many people's last payment and just before ours (X added them back when their client base either jumped ship like we did or complained -- alot -- to corporate). We could have also taken the Radiance of the Sea the same week, or just spent the week in San Juan (one of our fav cities) So it's been interesting to say the least to see the differences.

I like the adult-only pool aft on the golden, miss the spa breakfast/lunch on the constellation

I like a reasonable dinner that is not one of the same dinners I've eaten on X for the past ten years. miss having creme brulee every night.

Spa is also Steiner so comparable. Got a massage yesterday which was fabulous from a young lady named Precious, might go see her again on our sea day... though if you are a spa bargain hunter, today (St. Thomas/Sunday) the lime/ginger "treatment"/massage is half price (was tempted, believe me) and I'm looking for something special in the salon on another port day. With so many ports, it's really easy to cut one short for a spa special.

The gym equipment on the Constellation was more extensive, maybe higher quality? but heck a treadmill is a treadmill. The 8 am aerobics class didn't start on time, for some reason, I didn't stay a half hour to see if it ever started.

In the hallways, at least on Dolphin where we are, the doorways are recessed, this really helps on first day and I assume last night when all the bags are outside the doors.

The lifeboat drill on Princess doesn't take you outside like X, but we did get a chance to use the emergency exit to go down to the muster station. the captain noted that there are two ways out of every single place something I never heard on X. they also told us exactly what to do if not a drill, from grabbing medicines and warm clothes (guess because Princess cruises in AK alot) to how to jump into the drink, also that other reasons for mustering than just abandoning ship. so all & all added to my "safety at sea" knowledge.

For NFL fans, the Players Bar is having NFL Sunday, three games in a row (Mercury has a great sports bar, but not all X ships do).

Time for a workout, and then sailaway, but we'll logon at the next port of call, at the next internet cafe (love that local color)

BTW, the lights on El Morro were turned off (might sound like a strange thing, but I have always loved cruising past El Morro at the beginning of a cruise...) I guess for security reasons?

I haven't been on Golden yet but the adult pool on the Star and Caribbean Princess (same basic ship design) were not topless. Kids are in the area, even though not in the pool. The only cruise I've ever taken w/tops optional was Carnival, and it was only in a very isolated area of the ship, with very limited access.

HI

Thanks for the review so far.

If time allows can you please check with the Head Waiters and see if the waiter Nelson is still on board please. I will be back on the Golden for the 3rd time this year for New years and he is my all time favorite waiter.

Also for those waitlisted for traditional dining, why not make PC into traditinal. Just talk to the hostess or Head waiter and reserve the same table at the same time each night for the whole cruise. This can easily and successfully be done. You won't waste time or be disapointed when you most likely will not get your traditional dining.

Hi everyone -

We are in Grenada this AM. I couldn't find a i-net cafe near the port in St. Kitts, doesn't mean there isn't one but it was really crowded downtown, kids out of school everybody local shopping plus our ship (only cruise ship in town yesterday)

Turns out we missed meeting our CC buddies first night was we were in the wrong bar! Walked into the Explorers which may or may not be near the Wheelhouse. Just figured this out yesterday (sorta sheepish about it).

Also, it wasn't RCI Radiance cruising out of San Juan, but Serenade (?) noticed the name when we sailed out of St. Thomas.

Great weather continues...

I've noticed on both the Princess board & the X board lots of talk about Grenada and the hurricane a couple of years ago. There are still some blue tarp roofs in St. George, and the Anglican church at the top of church street is a shell (supposedly being rebuilt.) But many of the things we liked on our last trip here (10 years ago) are still here. They have developed the seafront some -- we haven't walked the Carenage yet that's coming up later.

The public i-net stations we are at today are in an electronics shop across the street from the National Museum -- wouldn't have recognized it without the lady from the museum pointing it out. Two dollars a half hour. (mr. sacway is all worried about the WA redskins and someone who broke his leg at the next terminal)

We docked today, did not tender. This makes it really easy to enjoy much of the day here.

Lynn (logie) I haven't met Nelson yet, but will ask today.

Friedgard, Poetrylady is correct, only the men are "topless" at the adults only pool, which is closing at 4 today because that's where the caribbean party will be tonight. I think for topless sunbathing, your best bet is to take a mediterranean cruise.

jetsfan, not exactly sure what kind of nightlife at what time of night interests you. we did hear from the teens at our table that the teen club is open till 3 am. when I went by on Sat. (when we sailed from San Juan) about 12:30 the place was hopping. haven't caught the latenight at skywalkers yet. the princess theater was full both early and late shows for the magician, but don't know if he'll be back next week or someone else, he got off the ship in St. Kitts.

coral is right, the souffles are great -- we had the hazelnut chocolate last night. And lunch has been good in the restaurant each day. We go aboard and catch lunch then go back off the ship in the afternoon. I've had ice cream for dessert each lunch -- pecan the first day and macadamia the next. we are big fans of ice cream and these are quite different, but tasty. basically vanilla, more like ice milk than ice cream, with nuts mixed in. probably as many pecans as in a piece of pecan pie, and a handful of macadamias in a single scoop.

I'm also enjoying your reports. I'll be on the Dec 31 sailing, and will go to San Juan on the 27th for a few days of touring before the cruise.

Did you tender in St Kitts or was there a dock? It's always so much easier getting on and off the ship for multiple trips ashore when you are docked rather than tendered.

Wondering how many families will take their kids out of school so they can make the Dec 31st sailing. Around here (western Illinois) the kids go back to school on Jan 2.

thx poetrylady & coolmama1 - just gasoline on the flame.

went back to the ship for lunch -- the line thru security was too long at noon so we went out and bought some spice baskets & went back at 1 it was much shorter.

docked in St. Kitts, poetrylady. lots of kids on board now & I imagnine many parents pulled them out a few days early. forgot to mention earlier that there are a couple of big fellas with bright yellow shirts with "teen security" on back, I have seen them a couple of times, seem friendly but no nonsense. Protect teens from grownups, grownups from teens, teens from each other, who knows but I have noticed less kid-related "ruckus" than on X, even though there are a lot more kids on this ship.

today the Constellation, circling the other way than us, crossed our paths. it was a blast watching it pull in (esp. if you were on the X board late summer when X pulled Grenada off the winter sailings, you can appreciate how much it means to some of these cruisers that X added it back, after considerable "input" from its customers.) Sort of like Rear Window portside (us) to starboard (them) so I want to make sure to have time for a cool drink on the balcony before we sail!

asked our waiter at lunch about Nelson, but not the head waiter, so I'll ask again tonight. Nelson's nationality, by chance do you know, Lynn?

movies so far -- Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Wallace & Grommit and the Curse of the Wererabbit, Monster-in-Law. One or more showings in the theater, and then the next day played on the stateroom TV.

Had hazelnut chocolate mousse with lunch, DH had today's ice cream. At breakfast, smoked salmon for the first time (mackerel the past two mornings for you English breakfast types). took till this morning (3rd) to figure out where the toaster was! no lines per se in the buffet in the morning, but people milling about within the area where the server gives you a big plate, with about a half dozen serving areas to check in close quarters. We're sticking to the restaurant lunch & dinner for sure. The waiters are just as cordial and polite as they are on Celebrity, and so far we've had no troubles at all.

when I got off the ship after lunch for a bit more shopping and surfing, went looking for the first inet cafe, couldn't find it but found this one, up a flight of stairs uphill a couple of blocks from the Esplanade. Plus, there's one more that we saw that nobody could miss, over on the carenage called Javalounge or some such, about ten terminals and sodas and beer, people looked like they were having fun in there! You could hit that place, then the "recommended" shopping/dining here on the carenage, then go through the Sendal Tunnel back to the boat. We didn't figure out how/where the tunnel was last trip, and even though it's only about 80 degrees, with the sun and the humidity, it's not surprising that the local shoppers are taking a flatter route.

been overhearing a few conversations about this and that on the ship. no whiners anywhere, at worse a couple of parents slightly worried about what their kids are doing with their "cashless" cards... On the elevator this morning a rather hilarious conversation amongst this bunch of strangers that nobody really knew what day of the week it was, and nobody cared. lots of signs of people having a really great vacation, as we are.

Sacway

That is very kind of you to keep checking for Nelson. My guess would be He is maybe from the Phillipines? Not the last cruise, but the one before that one Harry was his assistant. Harry is very tall, and funny. Unfortunitely that is all the information I have other than I think he was in dining room 5 but they move them around a lot.

Do we tender at any of the ports?

Thanks again.

Sacway

A book I have on cruising (2004 publication date) says that there is a cruise dock opening "soon" at Isla Margarita. Is that dock now open so that it is no longer necessary to tender shore? If I read the itinerary correctly, I think you are there today.

I check for your live reports everyday.

Thanks.

Thanks Sacway for all the great Info !

Where do you live in the Sacramento Area ? Our son just bought a home in Walnut Grove. It is a lovely area but he must commute to Downtown San Francicso 3xs a week. UGH!!

I have a couple of questions. Did you buy your spice baskets in Grenada ?

What has been your Favorite port ?

Also since we too are on the New Years Cruise. I am wondering where you boarded ? When we were in San Juan last year( Pier # 4 I think ?) They would not let any taxi's drive down the pier we were at. We were at the Pier that was right by the Sheraton. I'm sort of concerned about how we lug all our stuff down that long pier. OR will they allow Porters down there.

Thanks once again for all your great Info :)

Joanne

Archived