One parent, out of two, boarding with child, do I need extra documentation

ikaika99

I am going on a cruise with my 5 year old, however, my wife cant make it. As the father of the child, will I need a note from my wife stating that she gives permission for me to travel with our child without her. I will have the standard passport for me and my childs birth certificate stating I am the father.

We are leaving out of LA and heading to the Mexican Riviera.

Similar situation happened with our large family cruise last March to the Eastern Caribbean....Dad was able to go but Mommy couldn't due to her pregnancy and the Zika virus scare. Dad had notarized travel permission form and even though no one asked he was completely ready to produce all and any documents if needed.

I just had to do this through Norwegian. They have a document on the web site that I had to print off. Just had parents information and who was going to be responsible for the child on the cruise as well as the cruise info that we were going on. We both had to sign it with a copy of both our drivers licences attached. I'm not leaving for 2 weeks so I still might get it notarized as an extra precaution.

Just my experience. I have 5 kids. I have never needed or had a note from my husband.

If you are worried call the cruise line directly.

Perhaps you haven't needed it...but what would have happened if you did :eek:

Better to be safe than sorry....No reason to take the chance....It's just a notarized form that could make all the difference to being able to boarding that ship or not.