Carnival’s TV, Fun shop orders, and Room Service changes

sept2405

What are everybody’s feelings on the changes Carnival has made about not having prime tv channels, the 15% fee being added to Funshop orders and no more free room service? It will now cost from $2 to $6from the hrs of 10pm to 6am.

That’s three pretty big hits at one time, depending on whether you use any of them. I use all three and it’s a little disappointing to me.

The TV sort of bothers me because I like to watch certain shows at night when I'm in for the evening.

I don't order anything from the Fun Shops so it doesn't affect me. I guess it stinks for those that do. I'm used to getting Bottomless Bubbles and that has the 15% tacked on. I never really thought about the other stuff not having the same.

If I want food that late I go get pizza. If I think I might want something that's on the free side of the menu, then I'll simply order before 10pm. I'm never up much past midnight and that's only maybe once or twice a cruise if I am at all so the 6am thing is a total non issue. I can't imagine being awake wanting food that early. Well maybe when I'm like 80. But I have a LONG way to go until then. Much ado about nothing in my book.

All the cruise lines are raising all the extras, they need to make more money since they have not raised the price of the cruise over the years. They keep the price of the cruise low so they can get you onboard and then charge you for every thing.

What are everybody’s feelings on the changes Carnival has made about not having prime tv channels, the 15% fee being added to Funshop orders and no more free room service? It will now cost from $2 to $6from the hrs of 10pm to 6am.

That’s three pretty big hits at one time, depending on whether you use any of them. I use all three and it’s a little disappointing to me.

This is why I have gone back to All inclusive land vacations. For a time up to about 2 years ago cruising was my choice again, as they had reasonable pricing and a good product. However, over the last few years, they have raised prices and started to nickel and dime everyone, so now AI vacations are a better deal again. This runs in cycles, and probably will change again in a few years, but for now, I will do other vacations instead of cruising.

Don't care about the TV stations, don't have a problem with the 10pm-6am room services charges because I wouldn't eat anything that late at night and DH goes and gets pizza if he feels the need, and I hadn't heard about the 15% charge on Fun Shop orders.

The only thing that is bothersome to me for the new room service procedures is that I paid for my cruise thinking I would have 24 hour room service. I won't need room service during the hours it's actually free.

I understand this impacts other folks.

It wouldn't have impacted our last cruise, but it was just a three-day stint! We didn't watch TV, I did look at the map a few times, and watched a recording of the Cruise activity overview that CD Donkey gave (mainly because he made fun of me...)

We don't order things from the Fun Shops - if we need something, we just visit the shops directly - got a nice sun hat for my wife, for example.

We didn't ever use Room Service, and if I hadn't been reminded it was free, I wouldn't have known - I thought you already had to pay for it.

But as mentioned, I know some folks do exercise these features, and it would be annoying to realize you now have to pay more than expected, or can't watch TV as expected.

The TV change is slightly annoying. Always nice to have something to watch when going to bed or getting ready. Did they get rid of all channels other than ship programming, or just the Network TV channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX)? It'd be nice to have the news channels at the minimum.

Room Service again is an annoyance, but I hope they are adding staffing to improve the complimentary options remaining, or at least making the room service quick if you are charging for it now.

The Fun Shops delivery fee doesn't really affect me, since they don't charge for Bottled Water, but it is annoying for anyone who has someone purchase a gift for someone, etc. The prices are already so jacked up, that an additional 15% is ridiculous.

I don't care about the TV but can see how it would be a problem for others,

I wish that the room service changes happened starting at midnight because that means that pizza will be an even longer wait after shows and comedy. Even by Johns assessment, I think 10pm is too early. What bothers me the most though is no room service breakfast on debarkation day. That will be a huge inconvenience for some people and make the lido even more insane on that morning. I think that was a really bad decision.

As far as the 15%, this is the first I have heard of it. I did an order on the 9th and there was no extra charge. I get that they charge 15% on the beverages, but in all honesty, it makes little sense to charge 15% one time when service will be provided many many times over the week. It also makes little sense to charge the 15% on the items from thier store because costs for delivery should just be considered in the price. Just price the items what they need to be to cover the costs of doing business.

However, over the last few years, they have raised prices and started to nickel and dime everyone, so now AI vacations are a better deal again.

If you want to be stuck in one place for a week then AI is a great choice (have done several) but if you want to have the 3 or 4 different ports to choose from (go do/see something or stay on ship choices) then cruising still makes a better deal. If I had to make the arrangements and fly from island to island or country to country for one week (not to mention pack and unpack, all the flight fees, hotels and inconvenience of going from place to place) it would not be that cheap and a complete hassle for 7 days.

So you are comparing only a certain portion of a cruise to 100% of a AI as you do not have the additional choices on land. But again, it is your choice to make if the changes bother you that much.

We don't really tend to watch TV, so that is a non-issue for us. If the TV is on its usually on one of the ship channels or one of the movie of the day channels.

The Funshop fee... we so rarely order anything from there I don't know that we would have noticed.

The roomservice change - I am a bit disappointed in, however, I do understand. I've been on cruises with friends where they have giggled and laughed because they way over ordered in the middle of the night and have seen the trays of wasted food in the hallways in the morning. My order has always been very simple when I do order - PB&J (it comes toasted!) and chocolate chip cookies. Hopefully that will still be available and hubby has already informed me that we will pay whatever it is if I want my snack when we get back to our room at night. I do agree with the comments about if I am paying I hope the service is a bit quicker. Part of me can't help but wonder if part of the waste comes from room service taking so long to get there that you are asleep by they time your sandwich arrives.

Heald did mention in his video this morning that the comments about needing more people in the pizza place at night and keeping the deli opened later have been forwarded to "the beards" and I got the impression that he agrees that would be something beneficial due to the room service changes. I too have been stuck in that line after midnight when those still up and about and the crew all line up to eat so I hope that they do add some extra folks to help out.

I don't care about any of these things. If TV is that important to someone on vacation, well maybe it is time for an intervention. Bring a book or magazine. Prices go up. Sometimes you pay for things that were free before. None of these things are mandatory. You can go on a cruise and not pay extra for anything and still get enough food to satisfy a small army. It doesn't even bother me that the drink package price went up. It is still a bargain for us, especially since bottled water is included (who am I kidding, it is a bargain because we like to have drinks, lots of drinks!).

Obviously it is never great to have to experience cutbacks.

None of these will affect my decision to cruise or which line to cruise with so ultimately it isn't a big deal.

I usually order room service late night maybe twice on a 7 day cruise. I like watching local TV while getting ready in the mornings and the Fun shops thing I just don't care about.

In the end these just aren't very bothersome. All lines are doing it in some form to keep base prices competitive. I prefer it that way.