Dining Room Dress Code?

Jaclynroseg

Just got off Carnival Glory. Saw lots of cut off Jean shorts, basketball shorts, T-shirt’s, & flip flops in the MDR. Honestly you will be fine if you dress nicely. I felt overdressed in my skirt & top!
I have been in several carnival cruises and i have never seen anyone wearing cut off Jean shorts, ever. Not in the dining room or out by the pool.

What I have seen is 300 pound women in spandex dresses 2 sizes too small. Or the last time, a very slim young lady with a spandex halter top that had beading in the top area where she had nothing to fill it out with that was hanging around her waist area.

Both cases were worse looking to me than any basket ball shorts would have.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There is a difference between dressing casual and dressing elegant. It was two different conversations. The basketball shorts were a totally different conversation than the one you quoted. Yes, I am raising my children they don’t wear hats at the table (or in any building for that matter), but thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The point is basketball shorts are never authorized in the MDR, no matter what night it is.

I still stand by my statement that when people ask how strict XYZ is in enforcing their rules, they are just looking for moral support to do what they already plan to do anyway.....which is breaking the rules.

A Code is not a recommendation. It is a set of rules that are expected to be followed.

code

[kohd]

Spell Syllables

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

4.a systematically arranged collection or compendium of laws, rules, or regulations.

5.any authoritative, general, systematic, and written statement of the legal rules and principles applicable in a given legal order to one or more broad areas of life.

A Code is not a recommendation. It is a set of rules that are expected to be followed.

code

[kohd]

Spell Syllables

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

4.a systematically arranged collection or compendium of laws, rules, or regulations.

5.any authoritative, general, systematic, and written statement of the legal rules and principles applicable in a given legal order to one or more broad areas of life.

Show that to Carnival. It will be new to them. They thought that enforcement only applied to rules that involve revenue.

I still stand by my statement that when people ask how strict XYZ is in enforcing their rules, they are just looking for moral support to do what they already plan to do anyway.....which is breaking the rules.

THIS. I completely agree. But, it would definitely help matters if Carnival were more consistent in enforcing the dress code.

THIS. I completely agree. But, it would definitely help matters if Carnival were more consistent in enforcing the dress code.

Sailing full is what keeps fares low. If they tick off too many people and word goes around, could be trouble and prices rise. If prices rise, people are going to look for Carnival to have a higher level of services and offerings. There is a balance and Carnival has found its market. It caters to the every man/woman but it's not aimed at traditionalists. It is a family friendly, wallet friendly, gateway to cruising with short Bahamas and Caribbean 3-8 day vacations. Are you willing to pay, say, Princess or Celebrity prices for Carnival offerings and amenities? Carnival is a great value, until it isn't. And Carnival has decided the name of the game is max berths and race to the bottom on pricing.

Let's face it, really, Elegant night is an opportunity to buy more portraits and that's all really it is. Which is perfectly fine and nothing wrong in any way for those that want to partake in the offering, but some of us have been around so long we've seen the rest of the offering diminish to the point where we say you know what, I'll dress (as my father in law says) "Like a person" but I'm not dragging extra stuff I don't want, to wear for 2 hours, to participate in someone else's cruise fantasy. It is what it is, they gotta fill rooms and prices are low. Services are being scaled back, so take it for what it is. If it doesn't match what you consider important the Carnival umbrella would like to show you something in a Princess or Holland America cruise...

Blind enforcement in the face of a dumbed down elegant nice is kind of farcical.

Sailing full is what keeps fares low. If they tick off too many people and word goes around, could be trouble and prices rise. If prices rise, people are going to look for Carnival to have a higher level of services and offerings. There is a balance and Carnival has found its market. It caters to the every man/woman but it's not aimed at traditionalists. It is a family friendly, wallet friendly, gateway to cruising with short Bahamas and Caribbean 3-8 day vacations. Are you willing to pay, say, Princess or Celebrity prices for Carnival offerings and amenities? Carnival is a great value, until it isn't. And Carnival has decided the name of the game is max berths and race to the bottom on pricing.

Let's face it, really, Elegant night is an opportunity to buy more portraits and that's all really it is. Which is perfectly fine and nothing wrong in any way for those that want to partake in the offering, but some of us have been around so long we've seen the rest of the offering diminish to the point where we say you know what, I'll dress (as my father in law says) "Like a person" but I'm not dragging extra stuff I don't want, to wear for 2 hours, to participate in someone else's cruise fantasy. It is what it is, they gotta fill rooms and prices are low. Services are being scaled back, so take it for what it is. If it doesn't match what you consider important the Carnival umbrella would like to show you something in a Princess or Holland America cruise...

Blind enforcement in the face of a dumbed down elegant nice is kind of farcical.

So this thread isn't just about elegant night. Originally the OP was asking about the dress code for regular MDR dinners and her teens wearing basketball shorts. With that said...a pair of jeans or khakis isn't going to break the bank for anyone....because I'll venture to further assume that most of us and 100% of teens already own pants of some sort (unless members of a few religions). Heck, my teens aren't even allowed to wear shorts to school!!! So the argument of affordability doesn't work for me. Regarding taking up space...I can roll up a pair of pants and stuff them in my backpack...no biggie. Regarding wanting to wear whatever you want because according to you, service has diminished over the years. While I can see your point of view...but, then I wonder why not partake of the Lido buffet or ifyou are really unhappy, why continue with Carnival or cruising? According to your argument, I can only assume affordability is a factor. So instead of adjusting throughout the years, I've learned that some travelers are deliberately wearing what he/she knows is outside the dress code in protest. This behavior reminds me of how some are threatening not to tip room service employees because of the recent policy changes. Change is hard.

So this thread isn't just about elegant night. Originally the OP was asking about the dress code for regular MDR dinners and her teens wearing basketball shorts. With that said...a pair of jeans or khakis isn't going to break the bank for anyone....because I'll venture to further assume that most of us and 100% of teens own pants of some sort (unless members of a few religions). Heck, my teens aren't even allowed to wear shorts to school!!! So the argument of affordability doesn't work for me. Regarding taking up space...I can roll up a pair of pants and stuff them in my backpack...no biggie. Regarding wanting to wear whatever you want because according to you, service has diminished over the years. While I can see your point of view...but, then I wonder why not partake of the Lido or ifyou are really unhappy, why continue with Carnival or cruising? According to your argument, I can only assume affordability is a factor. So instead of adjusting throughout the years, I've learned that some travelers are deliberately wearing what he/she knows is outside the dress code. This behavior reminds me of how some are threatening not to tip room service because of the recent policy changes. Change is hard.

Your school district doesn't allow kids to wear shorts, even when it's hot outside? That's crazy! I've never heard of that, except for private schools that require uniforms. I couldn't imagine. Anywho, carry on...

Your school district doesn't allow kids to wear shorts, even when it's hot outside? That's crazy! I've never heard of that, except for private schools that require uniforms. I couldn't imagine. Anywho, carry on...

Yes, it is crazy & we live in a large city in Texas!!! Oh and it is public school! School officials say it is due to some taking advantage of the dress code & wearing shorts that were too short or torn or see through, etc. So yep, no shorts allowed in the high schools or middle schools.

So I kind of think there is a whole lot of people who misunderstood my original question. #1... my kids will wear whatever I tell them to wear, they are children. It’s that simple. #2... I send four children to private school, I can afford pants. #3... My original thought upon reading these forums was that if people are wearing jeans during nights that are considered “elegant” than how seriously do they take the code (which is just that—a regulation) on the “casual” night? I am not really sure how this simplistic question turned into an opportunity for some to attempt to appear superior in parenting styles or cruising doctrine, but it seriously was a simple question about clothes. I appreciate those who answered (without judgement), thank you.

Folks. I have worked in schools for thirty years and have been the person in charge of writing, enforcing, editing and clarifying dress codes. I have given presentations at national conferences, and I have consulted with schools on a regular basis as they work to address issues of dress in their learning environment. Let me be clear, dress “codes” are only codes when they are actively enforced, and folks are asked to change if they are out of said code. The truth is that anything else is simply a recommendation for appropriate dress. Furthermore, whether we like it or not, enforcing codes brings with it all kinds of issues that I am sure Carnival (or most schools) do not want to address.

Really, not to be dismissive, but short of dress code police in the dining room who are enforcing a code, people will wear what they want. My advice to anyone would be to wear what you want and unsderstand that you may face some embarrassingly consequences if you are asked to change.

Truthfully, what other people wear has little to do with my enjoyment (or yours either) of a fine dinner.

Let me be clear, dress “codes” are only codes when they are actively enforced, and folks are asked to change if they are out of said code. Furthermore, whether we like it or not, enforcing codes brings with it all kinds of issues that I am sure Carnival (or most schools) do not want to address.

My kids' school district consistently enforces the dress code. To the point where it is rare to hear stories from other parents who were called to bring a change of clothing. Parents & students know that there is no gray area in this regard.

Judging by the variety of responses to the OP's questions, Carnival has done a poor job of being consistent in their own enforcement. However, there are some who see something in writing and simply follow the code without questioning it. And there are some who simply do what they feel is best for them and their families. It is what it is. But it definitely won't interfere with my enjoyment and cruise outfit planning.

I would say no for the basketball shorts, but blue jean shorts would b fine. Of course if y’all were at my table, I wouldn’t say anything at all about basketball shorts!! It’s your vacation and time to spend with your boys!! As long as they are clean, it really doesn’t matter!! 👍

So this thread isn't just about elegant night. Originally the OP was asking about the dress code for regular MDR dinners and her teens wearing basketball shorts. With that said...a pair of jeans or khakis isn't going to break the bank for anyone....because I'll venture to further assume that most of us and 100% of teens already own pants of some sort (unless members of a few religions). Heck, my teens aren't even allowed to wear shorts to school!!! So the argument of affordability doesn't work for me. Regarding taking up space...I can roll up a pair of pants and stuff them in my backpack...no biggie. Regarding wanting to wear whatever you want because according to you, service has diminished over the years. While I can see your point of view...but, then I wonder why not partake of the Lido buffet or ifyou are really unhappy, why continue with Carnival or cruising? According to your argument, I can only assume affordability is a factor. So instead of adjusting throughout the years, I've learned that some travelers are deliberately wearing what he/she knows is outside the dress code in protest. This behavior reminds me of how some are threatening not to tip room service employees because of the recent policy changes. Change is hard.

I like in Palm Beach, Florida. There are numerous wonderful restaurants and shorts are commonly accepted wear here. Maybe it's just perspective.

I still enjoy a sit down dinner with service, I did not say service was bad. I just said Carnival has removed many of the specialties of cruise ship dining in the main dining room over the years. It's "nice" and "fine" but it's not upscale and it's not that serious, it's supposed to be a relaxing and fun vacation.

Where did you get the idea that this is about cost or that I do anything deliberate to buck the system? I cruise, on often, every 10 weeks across a variety of lines. Without air fare I can afford to cruise more often, sure, and value is important, but if I just wanted to save money I'd do something less expensive.

Yeah, OP should go out, spend money on clothes their kids don't want to wear, have a nice little argument about it, and then be the bad guy when they walk around the ship and see many other kids wearing what they wanted. I'm not telling OP what to do, I'm just letting them know the reality onboard is much different than the postulating and hair splitting of this forum.

Yes, it is crazy & we live in a large city in Texas!!! Oh and it is public school!

That is absurd. That's what happens when you get blanket policies from a school board and no one with a functioning brain. Your tax dollars at work

Hmmm...where did I get the idea your post was about cost? I am reposting your post so that you can reread it. Unless my comprehension skills are failing me, cost seems to be the running theme throughout your post. Also, no one has suggested the OP run out & purchase jeans or pants for MDR casual dinners. If you reread my post I said that many people and especially teens ALREADY have them.

That is absurd. That's what happens when you get blanket policies from a school board and no one with a functioning brain. Your tax dollars at work

Yep, couldn't agree with you more. I will say that it is difficult now a days to locate decent length shorts for teen girls. Designers keep making them to barely cover their backsides.

Edited by BookDragon

Question...so how strict is the “cruise casual” dress code? I’m traveling with three teenage boys who I would like to see at some point (was thinking dinner) during our trip, so I don’t want them to have to eat at the buffet every night. However, they are also teenage boys who go to Catholic School 5 days a week. Basketball shorts and t-shirts are their part time uniform.

I also have three teenage boys and they don't have an option. They know when we're cruising they have to wear khakis and a polo for dinner every night.

If that's the case then either change the rules or get rid of them completely and make it a free for all.

Question...so how strict is the “cruise casual” dress code? I’m traveling with three teenage boys who I would like to see at some point (was thinking dinner) during our trip, so I don’t want them to have to eat at the buffet every night. However, they are also teenage boys who go to Catholic School 5 days a week. Basketball shorts and t-shirts are their part time uniform.

This is Carnival and anything goes.