Dining Room Dress Code?

Jaclynroseg

I disagree with you. If folks were consistently turned away by MDR staff & not allowed to enter...this enforcement would spread by word of mouth like wildfire and I believe that over time less people would even bother asking how well the dress code is enforced.

Instead we have multiple exceptions made by MDR staff, witnessed by many, spread by word of mouth on boards, "Go for it, no one cares." And people all of a sudden require clarification because, "They heard...". Enforcement has to happen from the top down.

I guess you've never heard the phase "policing yourself". To me, enforcement is needed for kids. As an adult, I can read and understand all rules, policies, and laws and ensure I follow them. If everyone acted as an adult and came to the MDR dressed according to the code, there would be no need for enforcement. You are correct that since many people can't seem to do that, Carnival should send away lots of guests and finally people would just police themselves.....as they should to begin with. But to me, it's starts with the customer reading and complying with the rules and enforcement from the top down should only be a reaction to people not doing what they are told to do.

All for Fun, Fun for all. Waiters dance on stripper podiums. Relax, it's vacation. This is Carnival, not Cunard. Just shower after a day at the pool and put on clean clothes and you are good to go. Sometimes vacation is all about relaxing and getting away from all the micromanagement nanny rules.

And therein lies the problem. Caring only about yourself not not for the rules of your host. I guess if I were on vacation and came to your home, I could light up in bed or in the den or kitchen with no complaint from you, even if you told me not to smoke in your house.

True, but we also live in a very entitled and selfish world. We have LAWS that dictate how fast we can drive and that using a cell phone while driving is prohibited (it is where I live), but I see over 70% of drivers routinely breaking these laws every day. The police (top down) routinely enforce these laws when they catch someone breaking them, don't they? And even though everyone knows the consequences if they get caught, they still willingly break the law.

No, the bigger issue is what has been stated on here many, many times. People have paid money and this is THEIR cruise. Nobody else is going to tell them how to act, what to wear, what to do, etc. It's part of that entitled mindset that dictates that since I paid good, hard-earned money for something, I can do what I want.

That's why there is so much debate on these forums about skirting the rules when it comes to dining room attire, or smoking on your balcony, or tipping for room service or in general. People feel entitled to break these rules simply because they feel it is their right to do so.

And I've noticed that you can't really debate or discuss these topics on this site with those who willingly wants to break the rules and or rationalize their doing so. They come at you like they would rather go 10 rounds with you toe to toe.

I say all this not because I let any of it get me down on a cruise (well....someone smoking on their balcony next to us might be a problem), but more of a "that's how I see things" mentality.

I've seen people turned away at the dining room before. They have that "deer in the headlights" look about them and walk off muttering something about they didn't know about the dress code, which I find highly doubtful and think it's to save face in front of the folks behind them. No, I suspect they heard or feel they can do what they want and are surprised when they get called out for it.

How many times have you heard someone who got a speeding ticket say, "I'm not mad that I broke the law, I'm mad because I got caught!" This explains a lot of the mentality in these hot-topic threads.

With the exception about tipping (because we all know there is no rule about tipping on Carnival......social norm, maybe, but rule, no), your post is completely spot on. Well said!

And therein lies the problem. Caring only about yourself not not for the rules of your host. I guess if I were on vacation and came to your home, I could light up in bed or in the den or kitchen with no complaint from you, even if you told me not to smoke in your house.

What is so great about Carnival MDR that you want some high level of dress to be a requirement? I'm asking genuinely for an explanation to help me understand. All I hear is people talking about following rules blindly, not anything about the declining quality of service and offerings from Carnival. So what is so great that everyone should participate in a costume game?

Your analogy is senseless.

What is so great about Carnival MDR that you want some high level of dress to be a requirement? I'm asking genuinely for an explanation to help me understand. All I hear is people talking about following rules blindly, not anything about the declining quality of service and offerings from Carnival. So what is so great that everyone should participate in a costume game?

As a non-smoker who books a balcony cabin expecting smoke free but usually having to deal with smoking neighbors :rolleyes: I don't find the previous poster's analogy totally senseless.

You said you were genuinely asking for an explanation though, so I will offer mine. I do not feel that Carnival's posted dress guidelines are a costume game. In another post MDR was equated to a banquet hall (compared to a cafeteria). I think this is an apt description. I have been to banquets with table cloths and some with just basic uncovered tables, some with paper napkins and others with linens. Either way it was a seated, catered event and I dressed appropriately. Usually these meals are tied to events like a wedding, funeral, business conference, or retirement party. While I likely wouldn't be in formal dress (maybe an awards dinner or Christmas dinner), I would expect to dress better than a back-yard picnic, beach party, or county fair (all of which can be fun in their own way).

Maybe it is a cultural thing and the area I'm from, but I don't see why it is such a big deal to change out of "play clothes" from the day, freshen up a little, and put on something that you would wear for a nice night out. :confused:

Is there any guidance as to whether I may dress in Gangnam Style, or is everyone Puttin' on the Ritz? I mean, I know that everyone's crazy 'bout a Sharp Dressed Man, and I'm Too Sexy to be Forever in Blue Jeans, but do the wife and I have to wear a Short Skirt and a Long Jacket? I don't know anymore, She's Got The Look, and I'm just a Fashion Victim.

My analogy is spot on. You are on Carnival's ship. By electronically signing the contract you agreed to adhere to all rules on board, whether you like them or not. You are a guest on THEIR ship and you are expected to follow THIER rules. It's the exact same with a guest in YOUR home......they are expected to follow YOUR rules whether they like them or not. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend??

BTW, I don't care what Carnival's rules are. They could allow tighty whities and bathrobes in the MDR for all I care. But, they have created a set of rules, informed people of those rules, and everyone is expected to follow those rules. If you don't want to follow rules, then sail with someone else or stay home.