April 2019 in the Med - Does anyone know what is happening?

heatherbelle

There are currently no cruises listed in the Med for April 19. Usually there is at least 1 ship based in the Med.

Anyone have any thoughts of what is happening?

So it looks like the Spirit is the only ship there in March and then it leaves. The other ships don’t start there Mediterranean season until May. April 2019 seems like it may be when they do there transatlantic which can take a while. Plus maybe a few quick drydocks, just a few thoughts:confused:

The Spirit itineraries haven’t been confirmed yet. At some point it will have to head to Southampton, but we don’t know dates yet.

It is possible that the Spirit will do some more Med cruises in April before heading to Southampton. We will find out soon.

It is certainly a possibility that there will be a gap in Med cruise options between the Spirit leaving and the others arriving.

As mentioned above, there is also the possibility of dry docks complicating matters. I’ve heard a rumour of a Spirit dry dock next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Spirit itineraries haven’t been confirmed yet. At some point it will have to head to Southampton, but we don’t know dates yet.

It is possible that the Spirit will do some more Med cruises in April before heading to Southampton. We will find out soon.

It is certainly a possibility that there will be a gap in Med cruise options between the Spirit leaving and the others arriving.

As mentioned above, there is also the possibility of dry docks complicating matters. I’ve heard a rumour of a Spirit dry dock next spring.

That's interesting Spirit to Southampton is that confirmed?

We have been tipped the nod that they are finally thinking of not bringing Epic back to Europe for the summer which is why nothing is announced. The issue is that it is up against all new Royal and MSC ships and the price point is higher. Inters

The other issue and I know it is a valued judgement, is that the band of loyal NCL Europe fans is not what it was with the constant price hikes

That's interesting Spirit to Southampton is that confirmed?

It is confirmed that the Spirit will be sailing out of Southampton in 2019. Itineraries are due to be on sale sometime this month.

The Epic Med cruises are already on sale for 2019. They start in May

It is confirmed that the Spirit will be sailing out of Southampton in 2019. Itineraries are due to be on sale sometime this month.

The Epic Med cruises are already on sale for 2019. They start in May

It is not unknown for NCL to sell the Epic and then reschedule Xmas 2016 is an example!

It is not unknown for NCL to sell the Epic and then reschedule Xmas 2016 is an example!

I'm well aware of that. I was booked on the Epic last Easter before transferring to the Spirit (as well as our Jade itinerary changing).

I'm not offering any opinion as to what NCL may or may not do. I was just responding to your comment that it may be the reason why nothing is announced. It is announced, and most Med cruises for Summer 2019 are already on sale. If NCL chooses to change them later then that is irrelevant to this discussion.

They have done similar before.

Agreed and I was not critical of your comment and appreciate you were only answering the question. My apologies if it came over other wise. I

We are considering 2019 anyway and not NCL - the prices are now so out of line with other cruise lines.

Just seen the Jade is operating Rome to Greek Islands for 2109 and Star the Venice cruises.

Edited by bmwman

I'm well aware of that. I was booked on the Epic last Easter before transferring to the Spirit (as well as our Jade itinerary changing).

I'm not offering any opinion as to what NCL may or may not do. I was just responding to your comment that it may be the reason why nothing is announced. It is announced, and most Med cruises for Summer 2019 are already on sale. If NCL chooses to change them later then that is irrelevant to this discussion.

We too were offered Spirit for Epic not a chance. Love the Spirit and crew but frankly not much to do and entertainment offering poor compared to Epic.

Reality check: in 2019 Epic cruises in the Caribbean, from Port Canaveral, until April 27. Then transatlantic to Barcelona. First sailing from Barcelona is May 12, later than in 2018 when it will be April 22.

Reality check - that's the "plan" but already shortened Season NCL have changed plans many times! Not saying they will but Europe is becoming a tough market for them and others and NCL do not like deep discounts to match others.

• 2 months later...
So NCL no longer has a ship in the med year round? Jade was there for several years; but I guess like someone mentioned, its a tough sell anymore.

Nothing has changed on that front.

In previous years, The Spirit (and for one year The Epic) has stayed in Europe all year round. During the Winter it does Canary Island trips from Barcelona. During the Summer months it is joined by other ships.

For 2019, the Spirit is (apparently) heading to Northern Europe for the Summer months. We don't yet know when it will be leaving, and no itineraries are yet confirmed for April onwards for the Spirit. That means that at present there are no cruises from the Med showing as being available between when the Canary Island season finishes and when the other ships (Epic, Star, Jade) arrive. It is possible that the Spirit will do some more Med cruises in that time, or that it may head off and there could be a period of a few weeks without Med options. My bet is the former.

However, outside of any potential short gaps during repositioning, there is no indication that NCL won't have a ship in the Med year round.

Any news on what is happening next Easter?

Still nothing confirmed. On another thread there were some reports of NCL making bookings for the Spirit in Northern Europe in late March, so hopefully they will confirm things soon.

We have given up on the Easter and booked something else instead. Still waiting for options for the Summer though.