Princess or Celebrity

kuxiam

I think it's important that you state what it is that you enjoy because no two 40 year couples like the same things.

I do think that itinerary can make a difference on this more then each cruise line.

We sailed both lines in our 40's and it didn't make a difference to our enjoyment of each cruise.

Keith

We used to be regulars on Princess and have shifted to Celebrity because we don't like Princess latest class of ships. We found Celebrity to be more relaxed and found food choices better. It's probably a coke vs pepsi thing. Some like one and some like another. Our next two are on Celebrity and Azamara (destination cruise), but we don't limit ourselves based on line.

I had the same question last year. I found this highly informative, wonderfully entertaining, lengthy review by CC member Bimmer09, which contains his opinions (many of which are backed up by his great photographs) as well as many, many comments from other CC members.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317130

You'll want to grab a beverage and block out some time to get through it - but it's well worth the read.

Happy cruising,

Kathryn

Great thread.

We are looking at a club mini suite

and have been cruising mainly X for a bit...

I've been in both a club mini and a Sky Suite on Celebrity. The minis on Princess have a better layout, but the benefits are way better on X. The Sky suites get all the suite perks (except shoreside concierge and unlimited specialty dining that are given to the higher priced suites). The club minis get the club dining, and some priority things that overlap Elite and Platinum benefits, plus two half bottles of wine.

Club dining is great, but not at the level of Luminae.

Just my .02

This was the first ever cruise I have ever been on where a guest sat at the bar turned to me and said "and what class are you in" It didn't go down well when I asked "don't you think the cruise is a bit elitist". She turned her back on me and didn't speak again!

Good for you! Some people just gotta flaunt it .. makes them feel special, I guess. We've encountered this a couple of times before as well ... one time, which happened to be on Celebrity where I was taken aback a bit. This woman sat down at our table at the elite wine tasting event. I guess she thought we shouldn't be in there and proceeded to challenge us as to how many cruises we've been on. I took it as though that was not to her belief with the sour look she gave me .... or she maybe just wanted to brag about how many sailings she had been on. Well, I said, by the time I reach your age, maybe I will have that many cruises under my belt as well. Looks like I have some time to catch up. Ooooops!! Now, normally I wouldn't go for the jugular but she was kind of asking for it. Yep ... she never talked to us throughout the remainder of the cruise, either. No loss there.

Anyhow, I've encountered the same on Princess ... I guess it happens on all lines where people have to feel like they are better than others simply because they are fortunate to have money to vacation often. I'm not all that impressed with those that display it with a sense that they are more important than others.

Very helpful thread for us as well... we are in our early 50, and looking at both lines for a TA.

while we liked Regent, it is spendy so we have been sticking to Celebrity. OTOH Princess has some nice looking itineraries and so for the TA we are comparing AQ to Club mini-suites.

Have a great one

We have cruised Princess three times and Celebrity 29 times -- we just don't get it when people rate Princess in the same league as Celebrity. We will give them another try down the road, but as of now, we would do NCL (enhanced), Cunard, HAL, and even RCL before considering Princess.

The food is so so; the ships are crowded; the venues are very crowded (theater, buffet); and the staff is average. They do have great deck spaces and I would like to try one of their newer ships.

Never say never!

Kel:D

Celebrity all the way. We are 37 and 45 and have been sailing Celebrity almost exclusively for the last 7 or 8 years. I have been on one Princess Cruise and had a great time, but I sincerely missed Celebrity.

Someone mentioned that Princes was more elegant, I guess if they mean that it has an older, darker feel that is correct. Celebrity’s Motto is Modern Luxury, which is 100% correct. The ships feel newer, are more refined and very luxurious.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had the same question last year. I found this highly informative, wonderfully entertaining, lengthy review by CC member Bimmer09, which contains his opinions (many of which are backed up by his great photographs) as well as many, many comments from other CC members.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317130

You'll want to grab a beverage and block out some time to get through it - but it's well worth the read.

Happy cruising,

Kathryn

That was a great thread. Thank you for sharing it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums