B2B cruise - booked as single cruise

sandiego1

My DH and I booked a 24 night TA cruise on Koningsdam departing in late March. On April 11, we dock in Rome. I noticed that it's the end of a segment and several people may disembark or embark at that point. We booked this trip as a single cruise, not a B2B. We have never done a cruise such as this. We would like to be able to get off the ship early in the morning and do an independent tour (ship arrives at 7AM). Do we need to go through immigration or customs like the people that are disembark? Are we required to stay on the ship until the disembarkation is complete? Or must everyone disembark? What is the process?

I'd appreciate any advice so I can plan any tours for that day.

My DH and I booked a 24 night TA cruise on Koningsdam departing in late March. On April 11, we dock in Rome. I noticed that it's the end of a segment and several people may disembark or embark at that point. We booked this trip as a single cruise, not a B2B. We have never done a cruise such as this. We would like to be able to get off the ship early in the morning and do an independent tour (ship arrives at 7AM). Do we need to go through immigration or customs like the people that are disembark? Are we required to stay on the ship until the disembarkation is complete? Or must everyone disembark? What is the process?

I'd appreciate any advice so I can plan any tours for that day.

You have booked a Collectors' cruise which usually has better pricing than booking a B2B.

If all of your ports are in cities by that are governed by the euro (can't remember the official term - starts with an S), then there should be no immigration getting off the ship.

You are NOT required to stay on the ship until everyone disembarks nor does the ship need to come to a zero count assuming my previous paragraph is correct.

What time is your private tour? Whether you do immigration/customs or not, the ship still needs to be cleared.

As long as your tour is a reasonable time, you should be just fine. We did an independent tour with a start time of 9 am and had no issues.

Also - as an fyi - you will get a special card so you can avoid the embarkation lines when you return and instructions. You will need it and you key card and can just proceed to security.

I believe the term to which Kazu was referring is Schengen.

When we arrived in Civitavecchia on our turnaround day, we were able to leave whenever we wanted. We poked around Civi for a while before returning for the embarkation lunch. I don't recall getting a special card. I don't think the ship had to "zero down" as required in the US. This was in 2013 so things may have changed since then. Hopefully, someone with more recent info can chime in.

FYI when we returned to Civi after the second segment, the ship was in Code Red and all passengers had to leave the ship. Those on a Collector's Cruise were offered a free shore excursion so that the crew could do the deep clean. So things can change from segment to segment.

Enjoy your cruise!

I believe the term to which Kazu was referring is Schengen.

When we arrived in Civitavecchia on our turnaround day, we were able to leave whenever we wanted. We poked around Civi for a while before returning for the embarkation lunch. I don't recall getting a special card. I don't think the ship had to "zero down" as required in the US. This was in 2013 so things may have changed since then. Hopefully, someone with more recent info can chime in.

FYI when we returned to Civi after the second segment, the ship was in Code Red and all passengers had to leave the ship. Those on a Collector's Cruise were offered a free shore excursion so that the crew could do the deep clean. So things can change from segment to segment.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks AQ - yes that's the term.

Deep cleaning changes everything but assuming that is not the case, it's a pretty smooth process in Europe.

so, you didn't have to have an in transit card? Interesting.

Thanks AQ - yes that's the term.

Deep cleaning changes everything but assuming that is not the case, it's a pretty smooth process in Europe.

so, you didn't have to have an in transit card? Interesting.

I don't recall having an in transit card but I could be wrong. I can't look it up, either, because that's before I started reporting live from my cruises. Next time, I will make a note as we'll be on another Collector's cruise (but in Amsterdam).

I don't recall having an in transit card but I could be wrong. I can't look it up, either, because that's before I started reporting live from my cruises. Next time, I will make a note as we'll be on another Collector's cruise (but in Amsterdam).

Nice on Amsterdam :) I would think you would get an in transit card there, too unless things have changed in the last few months. enjoy every minute of Amsterdam. We're looking forward to it soon ;)

Last fall on Westerdam B2B we took a ship tour (special train to St Peter's) from Civitavecchia. No transit card. Ship was waiting for us to depart when we got back. No customs in Civitavecchia even though we stopped in Gibraltar (GBP not Euros) on the way from Barcelona to Rome then Rome to Venice. Much easier than a B2B with a US port on turnover day.

We're planning to do the same this fall on Koningsdam B2B Amsterdam to Rome to Rome.

Last fall on Westerdam B2B we took a ship tour (special train to St Peter's) from Civitavecchia. No transit card. Ship was waiting for us to depart when we got back. No customs in Civitavecchia even though we stopped in Gibraltar (GBP not Euros) on the way from Barcelona to Rome then Rome to Venice. Much easier than a B2B with a US port on turnover day.

We're planning to do the same this fall on Koningsdam B2B Amsterdam to Rome to Rome.

On a HAL tour there is not need for an in transit card because a) you usually get back later than embarkation time and b) you have your sticker.

For those that don't choose to do a HAL tour, our experience has been an in transit card - but maybe the key card works sometimes?

In any case - we're struggling how we are going to see Dover Castle and a few other things and watch the Royal Wedding on our turnaround day ;)

Kazu,

We did a Carnival cruise to Norway out of Dover a couple of years ago. Stayed in London for a couple of nights and then took a morning train to Dover. Stayed at the Best Western in Dover for one night. It was easy to take a taxi from the hotel to Dover Castle (a must see) and then an easy walk down. Boarding the next day we took a taxi to the dock at about noon and the place was empty, I mean no one in line anywhere. It was surreal. You should be able to watch the wedding at the hotel and then get to the dock (5 mins away) to sail away.

Kazu,

We did a Carnival cruise to Norway out of Dover a couple of years ago. Stayed in London for a couple of nights and then took a morning train to Dover. Stayed at the Best Western in Dover for one night. It was easy to take a taxi from the hotel to Dover Castle (a must see) and then an easy walk down. Boarding the next day we took a taxi to the dock at about noon and the place was empty, I mean no one in line anywhere. It was surreal. You should be able to watch the wedding at the hotel and then get to the dock (5 mins away) to sail away.

thanks very much :) ;) :D

very helpful and appreciated.

• 8 months later...

We plan on taking a 9-hour private tour on "turn-around day" out of Civitavechia on the Koningsdam. The ship will be leaving at 6 pm. What is the latest time we should be back to reboard before sailing time? We have never taken a private tour on disembark/embarkation day and wonder if you need to be back earlier because of muster drill etc.

The last day of the first cruise, you will get a letter giving such information as breakfast service time ,whether you will have to do a second life boat drfill and what time you mus t be back aboard.

We plan on taking a 9-hour private tour on "turn-around day" out of Civitavechia on the Koningsdam. The ship will be leaving at 6 pm. What is the latest time we should be back to reboard before sailing time? We have never taken a private tour on disembark/embarkation day and wonder if you need to be back earlier because of muster drill etc.

All on board time is usually 1/2 hour before sailing time - so, in this case, 5:30 pm.

So far, in Europe, we have had to attend the muster drills on our turnaround days but, it really is an unknown.

I believe arrangements can be made to attend a 'make up' muster drill if necessary ( you will probably not the ony ones doing a tour) and it shouuld be done in advance IIRC, but, depending on when your tour starts you may well be back in time for muster drill. I would guess it will be around 4 - 4:30 pm if there is one.

What time is disembarkation? 7 am? You can see if your tour guide will start the tour earlier. If you are going to Rome, it would be a good idea as the traffic can be horrendous at certain times.

Edited by kazu

Civi to Rome is about 90 minute drive.

Last year on our B2B2B (11 day - 10 day - 11 day) in the Caribbean on the Koningsdam our of FLL they did not require us to do the Muster drill before the 10 day segment. Something about only needing to do it once every 30 days. This was the first time this has happened - in the past we were required to do the drill every time.

Civi to Rome is about 90 minute drive.

Last year on our B2B2B (11 day - 10 day - 11 day) in the Caribbean on the Koningsdam our of FLL they did not require us to do the Muster drill before the 10 day segment. Something about only needing to do it once every 30 days. This was the first time this has happened - in the past we were required to do the drill every time.

I've read these reports but the OP is going to Europe.

We had to go to muster drill on our turnaround day in May this year and Alberta Quilter reported on her very recent live thread that muster drill was required on turnaround day.

I hope the OP doesn't need to (heck I hope I don't need to next year ;) ) but so far, it seems to be a tradition in Europe.

I've read these reports but the OP is going to Europe.

We had to go to muster drill on our turnaround day in May this year and Alberta Quilter reported on her very recent live thread that muster drill was required on turnaround day.

I hope the OP doesn't need to (heck I hope I don't need to next year ;) ) but so far, it seems to be a tradition in Europe.

Thank you all for your input! We have decided to cancel this 9 hour private tour and play it safe by taking a ship tour!

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Carol