Recorder Players

Sackbut

Are posters only allowed to give supportive responses? Take a look at most threads on cruise critic. It sure doesn't seem to be the rule. The op may have a job, a family, be busy in general. Not everyone can be or wants to be on CC 24/7. Lots of people get driven off cc for various reasons, not just new posters
Unfortunately, you are so right, being supportive on this board is FAR from the rule. There are no rules prohibiting a guest from bringing a musical instrument onboard. My guess was had this OP brought an instrument on and met up with other like minded individuals to play their recorders, they would have played for 45 minutes to an hour a couple of times per week on the sailing. Afterwards they would have enjoyed each others company, and maybe had a friendship connection. So If I were on the Maasadam sailing the recorder player was on and I didn't care to hear their music, I would have moved to another area of the ship. Just like if I don't wish to be in a crowded Crow's Nest I wouldn't go during trivia. If I didn't like classical music, I wouldn't go to Lincoln Center. If I was bothered by smoking, I wouldn't go to the smoking area of the seaview pool. These are big ships and everyone is entitled to enjoy their vacations the way they choose as long as it complies with the ship rules. If what the guest is doing is outside of the rules or is causing a huge disruption it is up to the shipstaff to correct the situation, not the members of HAL CC board.

I'd venture to say that none that none of the posters telling the newbie OP not to play their recorder on the ship are even on the May 25th Maasdam sailing that the OP was to be on. So, why such concern?

Before I am attacked for not knowing what I am talking about and disturbing the peace and quiet, let me preface that I was on a ship where a guest carried a very large boom box everywhere they went. At first glance I thought "oh my gosh, this is going to be a long cruise". But it wasn't bad. Occasionally the boom box got too loud and the staff would intervene, If I didn't want to hear their type of music, I moved.

My final point to the above quoted words is yes, posters leave the boards for any number of reasons. But this one specifically was driven away by the negativity. Their own words not mine.

Thank you for your encouraging words; at this juncture, we have abandoned the idea, as too much misinformed negativity came our way.

Live music is already provided by HAL. I recommend the piano quintet in the Lincoln Center Stage.

igraf

I am one that dislikes the recorded popular music disturbing the quiet of being at sea. I would enjoy coming across some musicians playing in a room as I pass. What a treat!