Recorder Players

Sackbut

We are sailing Feb. 25 on the Maasdam and plan to bring a couple of recorders along, to keep up our practice on this quiet, sweet instrument. We'll also bring music, of course, and would love to meet other enthusiasts (with weather-resistant instruments). Anyone care to bring music (parts) and a recorder or two? We are soprano and alto players. Thanks a lot! Sackbutt

We are sailing Feb. 25 on the Maasdam and plan to bring a couple of recorders along, to keep up our practice on this quiet, sweet instrument. We'll also bring music, of course, and would love to meet other enthusiasts (with weather-resistant instruments). Anyone care to bring music (parts) and a recorder or two? We are soprano and alto players. Thanks a lot! Sackbutt

I have no idea how loud all of this might be but plea se keep in mind, Maasdam is a small ship and loud noise could well carry far and distturb many persons in their cabins.

Have you gone to your roll call?

That's the best place to find other like minded people.

I remember a cruise (think it was the P'dam) when we had some musically inclined roll call members and they were very enjoyable and talented.

And for S7S, a recorder is quieter instrument ;)

Our group had no problem finding a place to play that we could find but was unobtrusive to others. And it was quite a busy spot :). Talent always attracts a lot of people so be prepared ;)

I see this is your first post on Cruise Critic, so welcome!

Please talk to the Cruise Director about securing a practice room for playing music, and he/she might be able to arrange an appropriate place and times for you.

If you are looking to find others who will be on your sailing, you will find them on the Roll Call for that cruise. It's been quite active! That's where people on that particular cruise have been posting and making arrangements for tours and exchanging other information since January 2017. Here's the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2444357

m--

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hope you find some others to join your music group.

But -- please -- do make arrangements for a room where you all can practice without disturbing other people.

Thank you, KK>

Music is so personal, what one peson likes and wants to listen to could be unpleasant to someone else. Few would wish to be disturbed in their cabin by musicians playing without concern to not dis turb people who don' wish to listen to their music with the sound carrrying into cabins. No one should think everhyone enjoys their choice of music when someone wishes to sleep or watch tv or swhatever thyey choose to do. Would you thhhnk this is okay in a hotel?

I remember a cruise (think it was the P'dam) when we had some musically inclined roll call members and they were very enjoyable and talented.

If some one who does not wish to, can hear it in their cabin, it is TOO loud.

Our group had no problem finding a place to play that we could find but was unobtrusive to others. And it was quite a busy spot :). Talent always attracts a lot of people so be prepared ;)

Your group of Offi c iandos have their personal taste as do all of us. What your group likes aand wsants to listen may not be the same for the rest of h persons on b oard but I am very sure you recognize that.

the level of talent can be decided by each individual and no one should be forced to hear it if they don't wis t o.

Edited by sail7seas

Oh, my oh my, I realise music might disturb some but I saw nothing about the OP practising in their cabin. Let's not go over the top here.

There are lots of little crevices and spots that disturb no one. Our group found one on the P'dam and it is a smaller ship than this one.

But, amazingly, what happened is people gravitated to this area to hear them. They were very good.

All the OP was doing was trying to find interested people - we directed them to their roll call.

Most musicians I know have not just sensibility to music but sense (as in common) and wouldn't disturb you in your cabin. Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.

OP, apologies as I neglected to welcome you to the board.

Not sure where you are cruising but I hope you have a good one :)

Oh my goodness. I would hate that so much. If I was sitting on the pool deck napping and a group of people brought our instruments from home to practice.

I would complain to the desk about it. Sorry.

I'm with you. There is way too much noise pollution, although I'm not sure I would say anything to the front desk. They likely wouldn't do anything.

I am surprised none of the 'defenders' of musicians being free to make their mussic at will on the ship did not mention or describe what a reporter instrument is. I had to google to learn it is a flute like woodwind instrument,,,,,,,,,, ugh. Either one likes flute like music or they do not. It is a sound unto itself.

The forward section of the Observation Deck comes to mind as a good gathering spot for this activity. It is often unused and well isolated from other passenger venues. Recorders do have a very high pitched sounds, so they do carry.

Could it be that this is a prankster? I mean, they setup their username as Sackbut, but then sign their comments as Sackbutt, and then they ask about....well....you get it.

Something smells fishy here....

They may be laughing their sack butt off....but on the other hand.....maybe they can play the interlude to the William Tell Overture by Rossini in the atrium for some late night entertainment.

Thank you for your encouraging words; at this juncture, we have abandoned the idea, as too much misinformed negativity came our way.

Could it be that this is a prankster? I mean, they setup their username as Sackbut, but then sign their comments as Sackbutt, and then they ask about....well....you get it.

Something smells fishy here....

They may be laughing their sack butt off....but on the other hand.....maybe they can play the interlude to the William Tell Overture by Rossini in the atrium for some late night entertainment.

Forgive an innocent typo in my initial posting. We will seek other cruises with less disdain for music.

Oh my goodness. I would hate that so much. If I was sitting on the pool deck napping and a group of people brought our instruments from home to practice.

I would complain to the desk about it. Sorry.

Many years ago on a Princess cruise we along with about a dozen others were snoozing, reading, sunning on a rear deck when along came a young lady with a guitar and a voice that could strip paint off a wall.

I have no idea what would have made her think that anyone was interested in a concert, but she began to play and sing. Terrible intrusion, miserable lack of manners and consideration.

Please understand that just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. We're all on the same boat together and it is incumbent upon all of us to not intrude into others enjoyment of their vacation, just as they would prefer we not intrude into theirs.

Forgive an innocent typo in my initial posting. We will seek other cruises with less disdain for music.

I'm not sure what "other cruises" you'd like to seek out... most cruisers enjoy music very much, no matter the itinerary or the cruise line! The live music venues on the ships are very well attended! And music, in it's proper place and time, is very much enjoyed on board.

Go to your roll call, seek out fellow cruisers interested in playing together during your cruise, then ask the Cruise Director for assistance in getting a room appropriate for this.

A few years ago a poster asked on this forum if it'd be ok for him to practice his trumpet an hour a day in his cabin! No, that's not ok. People like to have quiet time in their cabins, to rest, to watch a movie, study port options, whatever...

But it may be possible to have the staff guide you to an appropriate location for your musical interlude. And it may not... not my job, i don't know the answer to that, you'll have to do your homework to see if it's feasible on board.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your cruise. m--

Thank you for your encouraging words; at this juncture, we have abandoned the idea, as too much misinformed negativity came our way.

You are welcome and seriously don't let some of these posts discourage you.

Of course, you won't play in your cabin or the pool.

You'll find a spot. our P'dam musicians did and the only bad thing is that the area was too small ;) they had a huge following and were very good. There's lots of discreet places and no matter what board you post on, you'll get the same response.

What many don't get, is that you will find a spot where it disturbs no one. I am sure of that.

If someone can find a spot on the P'dam, they can find it anywhere ;)

Edited by kazu