Recorder Players

Sackbut

You made a good choice. You had me when you called a recorder a quiet sweet instrument. Not.

No need to be a spoil sport. Not everyone wants to hear you practice. Now if you can play like Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) then maybe. He plays the flute. You may get the same response for other cruise lines.

Or from other uninformed posters. Have you ever been on a cruise with musicians? I have. We congregated. They were very considerate and played in an obscure spot. Didn't bother anyone.

did it every dawn on anyone that they may play in an area that won't affect you?

did it ever dawn on you that it might be good music you want to hear?

What is the big deal as long as they don't influence your cruise? Judgements are not a good thing

Some people apply only the broadest categorizations to a scenario which, if they observed in real life, would hardly catch their attention. If only we could juxtapose the recorder players with some of the examples mentioned above, like the middle-school tuba player or the person with a guitar and amp.

Many years ago on a Princess cruise we along with about a dozen others were snoozing, reading, sunning on a rear deck when along came a young lady with a guitar and a voice that could strip paint off a wall.

I have no idea what would have made her think that anyone was interested in a concert, but she began to play and sing. Terrible intrusion, miserable lack of manners and consideration.

So that's where the HAL Cats ended up. :eek:

Or from other uninformed posters. Have you ever been on a cruise with musicians? I have. We congregated. They were very considerate and played in an obscure spot. Didn't bother anyone.

did it every dawn on anyone that they may play in an area that won't affect you?

What is the big deal as long as they don't influence your cruise? Judgements are not a good thing

Indeed, judgements are not a good thing, even when masked as questions.

I mean, they setup their username as Sackbut, but then sign their comments as Sackbutt, and then they ask about....well....you get it.
Given that sackbut is a slang term for a trombone, worse things could have happened than bringing on a recorder.

I have no problem as long as they find a place with great acoustics! We had a person play a harmonica early am and evening !! We and others had to complain to front desk! It was on his balcony! Sound travels.

I’ll be on the same cruise out of our home town San Diego 1 month today to South America

And if they can play Peruvian

Music like The group sorry spelling ? COUSCUS WHEN WERE OUT AT SEA I’d love to hear them. Hope you can make it happen and get in the when and where page on ship we get every night so I can hear your music.

Denise:)

The problem is that, sorry to say, but unless you are a professional musician that regularly gets paid to play - you aren’t the best judge of how your music will sound to others. My stepfather thinks he is a great singer and invests a lot of time and effort into his singing. And it’s bad, no one would want to listen to it. I hate the sound of a recorder, and find it difficult to imagine it sounding good even with a skilled musician. No one on here knows is anyone else posting is a skilled musician.

IMO, pulling out an instrument and playing it in an area where others can hear is just like pulling out a speaker to play music you enjoy. Some others may enjoy it, but it’s likely not to everyone’s tastes. The only way this would be acceptable is to find a private space where others won’t be bothered by the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This.

Given the popularity of Lincoln Center Onstage performances (SRO on my recent Zuiderdam cruise), there are passengers on board with developed musical knowledge and appreciation.

A renaissance chamber group could develop a following on board.

Did it occu r to OP to mention:::::: ?

IF , IF OP had mentioned courtesy and think ing of others, they may have gotten different responses b ut they said nothing a bout paying attnetion to such consideration would have b een welcome.

We cannot assume consideration or courtesy if it is not mentioned.

Edited by sail7seas

The problem is that, sorry to say, but unless you are a professional musician that regularly gets paid to play - you aren’t the best judge of how your music will sound to others. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, professionalism is not the only factor -- there are many, very highly paid, professional musicians whom I would pay to not have to hear. At least you are probably safe from them if you avoid their venues -- but a bunch of amateurs just striking up for (their) free entertainment is harder to avoid.

Why did the OP even put this topic out to CC - this is a request to make only to ship services. It is their decision to either provide a suitable space, inflict this activity on the general passenger population, or reject it out of hand.

Of course, professionalism is not the only factor -- there are many, very highly paid, professional musicians whom I would pay to not have to hear. At least you are probably safe from them if you avoid their venues -- but a bunch of amateurs just striking up for (their) free entertainment is harder to avoid.

Amen to that!

(Bolding mine)

so that's where the hal cats ended up. :eek:

lol :D

How are we to know OP would seek a place to play their music in a location where they would not bother anyone if they don't say so? They have said nothing a bout being considerate of people who don't wan t to hear them practice. Others have said that but OP has not.

Edited by sail7seas

How are we to know OP would seek a place to play their music in a location where they would not bother anyone if they don't say so? They have said nothing a bout being considerate of people who don't wan t to hear them practice. Others have said that but OP has not

No the OP did not, but the OP also did not say they would be playing by the lido pool, in the atrium or any other public area. Why did so many posters jump all over the OP to be considerate of others? I assumed the OP would be respectful of others. Shouldn't the OP be given the benefit of the doubt first??

This was a first time poster looking for guidance, thankfully a few directed the OP to their roll call to have their question answered without the input of opinions. Unfortunately, it seems all the negative opinions have driven the new poster away.

No the OP did not, but the OP also did not say they would be playing by the lido pool, in the atrium or any other public area. Why did so many posters jump all over the OP to be considerate of others? I assumed the OP would be respectful of others. Shouldn't the OP be given the benefit of the doubt first??

This was a first time poster looking for guidance, thankfully a few directed the OP to their roll call to have their question answered without the input of opinions. Unfortunately, it seems all the negative opinions have driven the new poster away.

It is not up to CC members or Roll Call members to advise or make this decision for them. It was an odd request. Finding fellow recorder players on their cruise is one thing. At that time, then they could proceed to the HAL authorities for accommodation to this special interest group request. We should have stuck to discussing process, rather than opinions about the potential product. Agree.

I t is not always what we say but sometimes what we do not say..... Speaking only for myself, had OP acknowledged the need for consideration re: disturbing others, I may have responded differently.

^^This. A thousand times this. I feel sorry for the OP. They probably didn't expect the villagers with torches. The irony is lost on them.

Didn't know what a recorder instrument was so found some on YouTube. Definitely not my cup of tea. For those who are as ignorant as l was, think flute a phone but made of wood not plastic. Sounds about the same too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that this was a legitimate concern. People who bring instruments may very well want to play them in their staterooms or in an exposed public area.

It is also a legitimate concern that the musicians may not be of professional quality or would play something not welcomed by others. I remember a post by a trumpet player who wanted to bring a trumpet to keep his/her embouchure (lips) toned. That would not be enjoyable for others.

igraf

Oh, my oh my, I realise music might disturb some but I saw nothing about the OP practising in their cabin. Let's not go over the top here.

..../quote]

Am I the only person who thought the OP's post was just a joke? It was their first post, and it struck me as being highly unusual. I remember recorders being played in school and they were a screeching, fingernails on the blackboard, high pitched sound that drove me nuts. I can't imagine having to listen to anyone playing one while I'm trying to relax on vacation. I still think it was someone wanting to stir the pot. YMMV

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Are posters only allowed to give supportive responses? Take a look at most threads on cruise critic. It sure doesn't seem to be the rule. The op may have a job, a family, be busy in general. Not everyone can be or wants to be on CC 24/7. Lots of people get driven off cc for various reasons, not just new posters.

Am I the only person who thought the OP's post was just a joke? It was their first post, and it struck me as being highly unusual. I remember recorders being played in school and they were a screeching, fingernails on the blackboard, high pitched sound that drove me nuts. I can't imagine having to listen to anyone playing one while I'm trying to relax on vacation. I still think it was someone wanting to stir the pot. YMMV

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Maybe the OP just wanted to watch we HAL pearl clutchers get our knickers twisted. Hey, we delivered, just as we should have. :eek: