Do You Tip The Maitre D?

need2cruisesoon

Agreed. Princess encourages the auto gratuity so guests don't have to worry about tipping the many service providers. So we play by that rule; I tip the porters who handle bags I don't want to lug to/from the ship. Other than that, I refuse to tip any on-board service providers, other than room service runners. People say they tip for service above/beyond, but I've yet to see an example of that. After all, I expect excellent service - that what I paid for.

We tip on the spot, on board. We have gotten service above and beyond, i.e., in the buffet if we want something not on the buffet and someone goes to get it for us, we tip. We have had the pub lunch delivered to our cabin, we tipped the person who arranged it and the person who delivered. When we order items from Room Service not on the menu, we tip as well. We are not afraid to ask for what want and to recognize those who provide service.

s

Tipping the Maitre d'? Also known on many ships as the Manager of the Restaurant.

And, whom might that person be? On most cruises, I cannot so determine. Maybe the person appears at the entrance of the MDR at the start of dinner service. Most recently, it is the Assistants with whom I interact. And, do they deserve an additional few dollars in their pocket?

When I first began cruising, 1970, my offering of gratuities has greatly changed. I still do for friendly, personal service as well as for excellent completion of the crew member's duties.

If the MDR management perform some special service, a gratuity would be offered.

Otherwise, no.

When we started cruising, way back in the 20th Century, when fixed time/fixed seating dining was the paradigm, the cruise director, as a part of his debarkation procedures presentation, would coach us on how to pick up the envelopes for tips, how much to tip the dining room waiters, the room steward, and the Maitre d'. I didn't want to mess up and be blacklisted by the entire cruise industry. So, I prepared an envelope with the recommended tip for the Maitre d' and handed it to him on the last evening of the cruise.

Apparently, it worked because I was allowed to take subsequent cruises.

Since we have started cruising with Princess we have chosen Anytime Dining every cruise. I have not tipped the Maitre d' once. We typically dine in the specialty restaurants. As we leave after each meal, if I see the headwaiter at the greeting station, I will tip him if our evening's experience has been satisfactory. Off the top of my head I would estimate that this is about 60% of the time.

Just curious if this is something that is ok.

When on the Regal last October we saw some people tip for preferential seat location.

We did the same for a couple evenings and got great tables (2) by the rear and window section of Concerto.

No way !!!

Howard, that is so wonderful that they did that for you on the Regal! Cheers to you & your family!

Thank you!

We've been taking them out to eat since each one of them was six months old. They used to ask when the food was coming and why it took so long? At our local Italian restaurant they once had a tour of the kitchen by the owner and he explained how food orders were prepared and why it sometimes took time.

They never ask anymore.

The wait staff on the Regal by the second day provided excellent service to our table of eight and there was always plenty to eat for them until the main courses arrived.

We all had the greatest time and hope to return with them again some time in the future.

We also found out that taking a child out of kindergarten for a cruise is no problem. After kindergarten it becomes a problem so I'm glad the older one had no problem with his teacher.

Howard