Montreal to Toronto to US (US citizens)

shipgeeks

The flights I'm looking at have 1 hour, 11 minutes in Toronto, to change planes. Is this long enough to go through formalities (if any) and get to the next gate?

Both flights are Air Canada, if that makes any difference.

Also, is 4pm a reasonable time to fly out, if we're hoping our cruiseline will offer a Montreal tour ending at airport?

Agree that it would be tight....

The Montreal to Toronto service is what Air Canada calls RapidAir. I believe there are a few airport pairs in the US that have similar service and in the states it is called "Shuttle".

Flights are hourly and every half hour during the morning and afternoon rush. Some flights are widebody (e.g. 300 seat aircraft). Lost of business travelers on this route and a lot of people moving to earlier or later flights. They try to keep the departure from the same area and have a special rapid air desk in that area where they clear standby.

You get free airport standby onto any of the earlier flights. When you get to the airport check in I would ask to go on the standby list. You will very likely get onto an earlier flight.

In Toronto any checked baggage will automatically be transferred. You do not need to present your bags to US Authorities, that is all automated.

Your are going to have to do a quick pass through the xray machines. The US has some thing about x-raying shoes that is only done in Canada on flights to the US. Special line for transfer passangers.

You also go into a special US Customs line for transfer passengers with is much shorter.

The airport staff that look after these lineups are cognitive of the fact some passangers have tight connections and will pull people to the front as needed to try to minimse the number of missed connections.

I think it is just enought time. I would try to book into a flight that gives you an extra 30 minute or 1 hour.

Not sure of your destination but I highly recommend Porter Airlines flying in and out of Toronto City Centre. It is a small, more relaxed, airport with a nice lounge (included) and plenty of flight options. (They also have free adult beverages in-flight.) You could stay in the city and even catch the UP Express if you wanted to go through YYZ instead.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention... YYZ has a pre-clearance location and YTZ does not. So at Pearson you will go through US Customs and arrive at your destination as if you were flying domestically, while at Toronto Island you will clear US Customs upon arrival at your destination.