Question for Airport Security in Shanghai and Seoul

Mylisa

If anyone is flying in or out of Shanghai and Seoul in the next few weeks I would appreciate it if you could ask airport security if they allow knitting needles.

I am an avid knitter and have flown all over Europe with my needles on the plane without a problem, except for Mexico.

They our TSA approved but you never know in foreign counties and I’ve never been to Asia.

Thanks for your help.

I can't answer your question but I DO sympathize.

Back when TSA got serious about "weapons" after 9/11, I was still an avid knitter. I always traveled with knitting and couldn't understand why they never seemed to object to my sharp pointed needles. That's partly why I started using circular needles that weren't all that pointed!

Hope you get an answer to your question!

Mura

I can't answer your question but I DO sympathize.

Back when TSA got serious about "weapons" after 9/11, I was still an avid knitter. I always traveled with knitting and couldn't understand why they never seemed to object to my sharp pointed needles. That's partly why I started using circular needles that weren't all that pointed!

Hope you get an answer to your question!

Mura

I think that there are probably a lot of knitters out there that would like to know as well. I can go stir crazy without my knitting especially for a combined 21 hour flying time.

I think I’ll take either plastic or bamboo needles, put a life line in and pack my good needles in my checked suitcase. I told my kids that when I die to sell my needles as that is their inheritance! 😉

I'm laughing! I did a lot of knitting back before computers! Even when I finally went online, I had church and temple singing jobs where we did a lot of knitting and crocheting unseen by the congregations ... Don't tell anyone!

But at least the plastic circular needles aren't threatening to anything. OTOH, a mostly used up bottle of skin cream was confiscated on my last trip home because it was too large. Normally I have that in my checked luggage, but this time I'd put it in my carry-on. Pointed knitting needles would be far more dangerous than my skin softening cream!

When I was touring as a singer, I was knitting non-stop on the bus ... I still have a number of unfinished projects but I can't toss my good yarn that I still might use some day!

Mura

I think I’ll take either plastic or bamboo needles, put a life line in and pack my good needles in my checked suitcase.

That sounds like a good plan. We did a four week trip in China with 7 flights. Each time the security procedures were slightly different and we don't know whether the staff was just curiously looking at the foreign items (for example house keys) or whether it was a rule to check them out in Beijing but not in Xian.

I'm laughing! I did a lot of knitting back before computers! Even when I finally went online, I had church and temple singing jobs where we did a lot of knitting and crocheting unseen by the congregations ... Don't tell anyone!

But at least the plastic circular needles aren't threatening to anything. OTOH, a mostly used up bottle of skin cream was confiscated on my last trip home because it was too large. Normally I have that in my checked luggage, but this time I'd put it in my carry-on. Pointed knitting needles would be far more dangerous than my skin softening cream!

When I was touring as a singer, I was knitting non-stop on the bus ... I still have a number of unfinished projects but I can't toss my good yarn that I still might use some day!

Mura

We call those projects UFO’s. They just float around unidentified!

And about those dangerous keys. They took my nail clippers away one time. You never know, I might have threatened to give them a manicure if they didn’t take me to Cuba! What ever happened to those innocent days when one could possibly get a free side trip TO Cuba at the expense of the airline anyway!