What happens if your cabin mate decides not to embark?

Pia1913

I know. Strange question. But a friend is scheduled to cruise with someone she doesn't know and has doubts that this person will even board the ship. What happens in a case like that? RCI, if it makes a difference.

The no show will lose their fare, unless they have insurance and a covered reason for missing the ship. In general, the cruise line will not care about the no show - they _may_ refund some taxes and port fees, depending on their contract terms.

A friend is sailing with someone she DOESN"T know? Hmmm. How was this cruise planned? Who booked this person? Has this person actually paid in full? There is no WAY I would go on a cruise with someone I don't know, male or female....Maybe an introduction at dinner or over coffee first to make sure you are compatable....Lots and Lots of questions

A friend is sailing with someone she DOESN"T know? Hmmm. How was this cruise planned? Who booked this person? Has this person actually paid in full? There is no WAY I would go on a cruise with someone I don't know, male or female....Maybe an introduction at dinner or over coffee first to make sure you are compatable....Lots and Lots of questions

Women tend to do these things; get a roommate via some else's recommendation. Not something I would do. These people don't live in the same area. Then again, happens all the time when you go to college.

Women tend to do these things; get a roommate via some else's recommendation. Not something I would do. These people don't live in the same area. Then again, happens all the time when you go to college.

Again, no age range, and still LOTS of questions

Who is the reservation booked under? If the other person (the potential no-show) has control over the booking I'd be concerned that they may decide at the last second to hit the "Cancel" button in an effort to recoup some of their money, which of course, would potentially destroy the innocent parties booking as well.

If the person who IS going is the controlling party in the booking then it should be all good, but even then I'd probably call the cruise lines customer service line and have it documented that even if the other party tries to cancel that under no circumstances is the booking to be completely cancelled.

Nothing happens....you cruise as planned...the "no show" simply will be at home, doing whatever was more important than the cruise! You will not be charged more...the cabin is already paid for. If the no-show has insurance, they might get something back, if it's a covered reason for missing the cruise. The cruise line is already in possession of your money...they don't care if either of you show up!

If the cruise is more than 90 days out, they can back out with no financial responsibility.

Well, the other person then still going is likely going to get hosed paying the single supplement, or the the entire second fare, in that case.

So the welcher walk away Scott-free, but the other person gets screwed because of them.

I’d be quiet until final payment has passed, then whatever they do doesn’t effect the one still actually going.

Inform the one who's decided to maybe bail out that she's out the money if she does. Make sure (as per my earlier comments on who has control of the booking, and the possible requirement for single supplement if the other person does manage to yank their booking before final payment) that the person who IS still going doesn't get hosed as a result.

And then board the ship and enjoy having a stateroom all to yourself.