Onboard laundry etiquette

CRUISER GAL1973

Hi Just wondering about laundry etiquette using the self-service laundromats onboard. EG If I needed to use a machine and someone's washing cycle has finished & they have a basket/bag on top of machine, is it acceptable for me to put their clothes in their bag and put on counter? (I would never remove clothes if they had not left bag/basket)

My logic is that you "rented" the machine for the duration of the cycle. You don't own it for the duration of the cruise. Honestly, I've never had a problem on Princess, but it is an ongoing issue on other lines.

If their cycle is done, I'd take their stuff out and place it on the metal table with no hesitation at all. There are timers on the machine and I really don't see a reason that people can't be there on time to deal with their stuff.

That would work for me. I think if people want to use the laundry room, they need to stay on top of what is happening with their clothes. Lots of us want to wash stuff and it is courteous to remove clothes from washers and dryers ASAP.

If someone is nice enough to bring a basket (or use one already there--I don't remember if they have these?), that would be a sign that they are willing to work with others to keep machines available, very thoughtful.

However, I do have to say that if you take their wet clothes out and put in basket, I could imagine them being somewhat angry when they come back, especially if there are no dryers available at that point.

I would probably move the wet clothes to the basket, and if they showed up while I was there and seemed angry, give them a token to help dry their clothes. But that's just me.

That would work for me. I think if people want to use the laundry room, they need to stay on top of what is happening with their clothes. Lots of us want to wash stuff and it is courteous to remove clothes from washers and dryers ASAP.

If someone is nice enough to bring a basket (or use one already there--I don't remember if they have these?), that would be a sign that they are willing to work with others to keep machines available, very thoughtful.

However, I do have to say that if you take their wet clothes out and put in basket, I could imagine them being somewhat angry when they come back, especially if there are no dryers available at that point.

I would probably move the wet clothes to the basket, and if they showed up while I was there and seemed angry, give them a token to help dry their clothes. But that's just me.

You are nicer than I am. If there are no dryers when they come back, that's on them. There may or may not have been dryers if they had come back on time. Dryers take longer than washers, so there is often a back up for the dryer. You just have to wait for your turn.

This thread brings back a memory for me. I went to use a washer and someone’s clothes were done so I waited 15 minutes and then removed them and put the clothes on a table and put my clothes in to wash. Just as I finished putting detergent in the couple came in and asked where their clothes were, I said I put them on the table. They asked me why I took them out of the washer and I told them when I got there the clothes were done and I waited 15 minutes after that it’s fair game. They told me I was rude I shrugged my shoulders and said oh well and smiled.

I stayed there the entire time until my clothes were done washing. When they came back for their clothes after using the dryer I just smiled, ticked them off even more.

Only one rule for washer-to-dryer transfers: U Snooze, U Lose. In my long-ago college dorm days I became an expert at snagging a dryer ahead of someone whose wash cycle had ended before mine. Felt a little guilty if it was someone trying to study, a lot less so for the guy who forgot about his washer while transfixed by a girl folding her undies. Heaven knows what its like today with everyone of them buried head first into their electronic devices...half of them probably head out having forgotten their clothes completely.

I've often suggested bar service in the laundry rooms!

The only issue I ever had was one passenger taking my laundry bag as theirs. Once I loaded the laundry into the washer, I placed my neatly folded laundry bar atop the washer. I returned to our nearby room for hangers so I could press items that were about ready to come out of the dryer. No sooner had I walked into the laundry room, a "gentleman" was using my mesh and fabric laundry bag for his pile of soiled laundry. When I confronted him, he claimed the bags were free and he could take it. Jerk! Others in the laundry room were watching the give & take, and had a great laugh when I showed the jerk the name of our travel agency on the laundry bag and my last name and cell phone number [used laundry pen] inside the bag. No apology, just a huff and mumbled profanity or two.

And, yes, if there are passengers waiting to use the machines, I feel it's OK to remove the items if the owner isn't around to take care of their responsibility.

By the end of the cruise, there's usually a small pile of laundry on the counter that people have missed. An odd sock, undies, some times a shirt - so it's a good idea to check the laundry room at the end of the cruise to see if you may have overlooked something.

Darcy

A little off subject, but this brought to mind the time a man walked into the laundry room and announced he needed three machines immediately. The other women and me sitting around just looked at each other and started laughing.

This thread brings back a memory for me. I went to use a washer and someone’s clothes were done so I waited 15 minutes and then removed them and put the clothes on a table and put my clothes in to wash. Just as I finished putting detergent in the couple came in and asked where their clothes were, I said I put them on the table. They asked me why I took them out of the washer and I told them when I got there the clothes were done and I waited 15 minutes after that it’s fair game. They told me I was rude I shrugged my shoulders and said oh well and smiled.

I stayed there the entire time until my clothes were done washing. When they came back for their clothes after using the dryer I just smiled, ticked them off even more.

I think it's safe to say we all know who was really the rude one in this scenario. That couple probably had to leave their "saved" chairs by the pool to get their clothes out of the washer.;p

Recently off Crown: if I remember correctly, the signs said both wash and dry times were 45 minutes each. And with “everyone” carrying an electronic device, it’s easy to note the time you started the wash or dry and/or set a timer so no one has to fool with your clothes.

We were lucky this time as both wash/dry machines always available so didn’t have to unload someone else’s clothes but have done so in the past. If I need a dryer and it was done, I’ve tried to do a basic fold on the clothes to help the person not have too many wrinkles. To almost always avoid the potential conflicts, we tend to do laundry at weird times: stay up late watching a movie and making the laundry runs or in the afternoon of a port day, before everyone else has returned.

some of the best entertainment on the ship was in the laundry room on our world cruise. There were hundreds of people that needed to use it because of long duration. Several fights, security called more than once, angry people when other people touch their laundry. Yes, a lot of people are very inconsiderate...put the laundry in and go to to a show or go to eat and leave it in for a long time.

So laundry was often removed but the best part was when they came back and found the laundry out of the washer. People are very touchy about other people touching her undies 😂😂🙄

So laundry was often removed but the best part was when they came back and found the laundry out of the washer. People are very touchy about other people touching her undies

I can only imagine if they went missing. :eek::D:D

Edited by floridalover5623

I've often suggested bar service in the laundry rooms!

The only issue I ever had was one passenger taking my laundry bag as theirs. Once I loaded the laundry into the washer, I placed my neatly folded laundry bar atop the washer. I returned to our nearby room for hangers so I could press items that were about ready to come out of the dryer. No sooner had I walked into the laundry room, a "gentleman" was using my mesh and fabric laundry bag for his pile of soiled laundry. When I confronted him, he claimed the bags were free and he could take it. Jerk! Others in the laundry room were watching the give & take, and had a great laugh when I showed the jerk the name of our travel agency on the laundry bag and my last name and cell phone number [used laundry pen] inside the bag. No apology, just a huff and mumbled profanity or two.

And, yes, if there are passengers waiting to use the machines, I feel it's OK to remove the items if the owner isn't around to take care of their responsibility.

By the end of the cruise, there's usually a small pile of laundry on the counter that people have missed. An odd sock, undies, some times a shirt - so it's a good idea to check the laundry room at the end of the cruise to see if you may have overlooked something.

Darcy

You mean like this?[emoji23] Fortunately for me my sister used the dryer right after me!

33a24f06070a7c71dcb2719d1826c731.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I have sailed Princess and used their laundry, I stay, unless I am across the hall or close by that I can go to my cabin for a brief stop then promptly return. If my clothes finished washing during the short time I am gone and someone needs to use the machine, I would not have a problem if they removed my clothes. I honestly can't see getting angry over a simple thing as someone removing my clothes and needing the machine once the washing is done.

You mean like this?[emoji23] Fortunately for me my sister used the dryer right after me!

33a24f06070a7c71dcb2719d1826c731.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry for LOL at this, but in certain situations (such as college dorms) a sock on the door handle has a totally different meaning, and it wouldn't be put there by your sister.

To me it should be the same as on dry land. When I was in an apartment complex and the washer was done, I gave them five minutes before I put their clothes on top of the washer or in their basket. I had a timer that I would set with three extra minutes to get down there. I never wanted to hold someone up from doing their laundry and moving on with their day.

You snooze, your laundry is moved. It is a rental, not ownership.

I think Princess should put a note warning that if you aren't back in time your laundry may be taken out by the next person. It could go right next to the one telling how long the machines run. It "might" make some people remember that they don't own the machines.

The times they give you for the cycles are not always accurate. I've gone back more than five minutes early and my load was done. It would be nice if everyone waited a few minutes before emptying the machine.

I just plan to come back 3-5 minutes before my load is supposed to be done. If the machine has stopped, it wouldn't bother me that someone removed my stuff, but I don't give them the time to do that.

It is just rude to not arrive in a timely fashion. If I wait for 5 minutes and no one shows up, I'll move their stuff. If they don't like it, tough. Never had a problem though.

And I didn't think about laundry when I saw the sock on the door photo!