Experienced cruisers first time on Oceania

CruiseAficionado

Experienced folks with 28 cruises going back to the 70's. During that time we have sailed on Cunard, Princess, Costa, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara, Regent and most recently Seabourn which we like the best. Chose Oceania for our first transatlantic cruise. We have done the Pacific LA to Tahiti, Hawaii back to LA and also Japan to Seattle all on Seabourn so sea days are no problem. Looking forward to the food experience on Oceania and getting lobster in the buffet. We took the Olife air option and got a great deal in business class on our flight back from BCN. My old bones do not like 8+ hours in economy even if it is premium. lol We will be staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay the night before our cruise which seems to get good reviews. We didn't get Concierge veranda but would entertain any thoughts on upgrading to it. Also we chose the beverage package over the other Olife choices. I am fine with wine at lunch and dinner but DW likes her spirits so she will upgrade.

I do have some questions that I hope can be answered. Is there a surcharge when choosing the top shelf brands like the Scotch and Cognacs if you have the prestige package? The cooking classes are all booked up except for one day so should we reserve that now or will more open up on board? Also DW usually brings heavy duty magnetic hooks to attach to the walls so will we need them? We travel light with only a carry on and a backpack and can appreciate Oceania's casual dress code so can I assume jackets for men are never required? Finally, the weather on a transatlantic in April can get chilly so any suggestions other than bring layers?

Experienced folks with 28 cruises going back to the 70's. During that time we have sailed on Cunard, Princess, Costa, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara, Regent and most recently Seabourn which we like the best. Chose Oceania for our first transatlantic cruise. We have done the Pacific LA to Tahiti, Hawaii back to LA and also Japan to Seattle all on Seabourn so sea days are no problem. Looking forward to the food experience on Oceania and getting lobster in the buffet. We took the Olife air option and got a great deal in business class on our flight back from BCN. My old bones do not like 8+ hours in economy even if it is premium. lol We will be staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay the night before our cruise which seems to get good reviews. We didn't get Concierge veranda but would entertain any thoughts on upgrading to it. Also we chose the beverage package over the other Olife choices. I am fine with wine at lunch and dinner but DW likes her spirits so she will upgrade.

I do have some questions that I hope can be answered. Is there a surcharge when choosing the top shelf brands like the Scotch and Cognacs if you have the prestige package? The cooking classes are all booked up except for one day so should we reserve that now or will more open up on board? Also DW usually brings heavy duty magnetic hooks to attach to the walls so will we need them? We travel light with only a carry on and a backpack and can appreciate Oceania's casual dress code so can I assume jackets for men are never required? Finally, the weather on a transatlantic in April can get chilly so any suggestions other than bring layers?

As far as I know only single malt and some high end cognacs have a sur charge Do not wait for cooking classes do it yesterday...they are not deep but fun People book these seldom ever cancel. BOOK NOW. Jackets are optional I always wear one in the specialties because that what I feel is proper. but thats me. The cabins have abundant storage im my estimate. On a trans Atlantic you will have 8 sea days and the only thing you will ever see is the blue horizon. There is , to me , no point in booking any outside cabin as the insides are just as big as the verandas and larger than the C ocean view. If you want a veranda I would skip the concierige, as the cabin is too small to really dine for 2 people... I'd get a B#3 extended balcony as a better value they are 2x the size of any other. Been in everything from penthouse to Inside on almost all the ships.... It is easy to get extra restraunt reservations on board... never had a problem . My take on getting a veranda is take it if there is a real prospect of seeing stuff . In the inside I just t turn on the tv if I want to see outside... or go outside... That's me..practical dont buy what you dont need.

Edited by Hawaiidan

Greetings from South Beach, Cruise Afiicionado. We have sailed two TAs from BCN to Miami on Oceania's Marina and Regent. We also did one from MIA to BCN last Spring on Regent's Explorer. The weather wasn't always balcony perfect, though we did go out there whenever we could. We are TA fans, and have another one booked for the Spring of 2019, On these two cruise lines, there is plenty to do on crossings. We are also art fans, and Frank Del Rio has loaded the three ships we like best with fabulous art. Just looking around is entertaining. Since you are flying back from BCN, you are sailing in the Spring. The weather will fluctuate in temperature. layers are the answer, and one should be something that will work if it rains. My husband brings a sport jacket and wears it in certain venues. Last time on Riviera, Jacque and Red Ginger were a bit crisp. There are guest laundries aboard, and plenty of time to use them on sea days. The ship's dry cleaning and laundry services are very good for ordinary items. Save the silk shirts for ashore. Have a great cruise.

Mary

We did a TA this April on Marina in a Veranda and loved the trip. Do a search on this board - there are many threads about whether or not to upgrade to Concierge - we haven't, but some folks swear by Concierge (we are typically in a Veranda or an Ocean View).

I did bring magnetic hooks - the storage is indeed pretty good but I find the hooks very handy to keep track of jackets and hats near the entry door. Of course I also bring magnetic document holders (for Currents, port info sheets, etc) so I might be a bit biased toward using magnets to put things on the wall lol.

As far as I know only single malt and some high end cognacs have a sur charge Do not wait for cooking classes do it yesterday...they are not deep but fun People book these seldom ever cancel. BOOK NOW. Jackets are optional I always wear one in the specialties because that what I feel is proper. but thats me. The cabins have abundant storage im my estimate. On a trans Atlantic you will have 8 sea days and the only thing you will ever see is the blue horizon. There is , to me , no point in booking any outside cabin as the insides are just as big as the verandas and larger than the C ocean view. If you want a veranda I would skip the concierge, as the cabin is too small to really dine for 2 people... I'd get a B#3 extended balcony as a better value they are 2x the size of any other. Been in everything from penthouse to Inside on almost all the ships.... It is easy to get extra restaurant reservations on board... never had a problem . My take on getting a veranda is take it if there is a real prospect of seeing stuff . In the inside I just t turn on the tv if I want to see outside... or go outside... That's me..practical dont buy what you dont need.

Thanks, We will book the cooking class ASAP. Where are the B#3 extended balconies?

Greetings from South Beach, Cruise Afiicionado. We have sailed two TAs from BCN to Miami on Oceania's Marina and Regent. We also did one from MIA to BCN last Spring on Regent's Explorer. The weather wasn't always balcony perfect, though we did go out there whenever we could. We are TA fans, and have another one booked for the Spring of 2019, On these two cruise lines, there is plenty to do on crossings. We are also art fans, and Frank Del Rio has loaded the three ships we like best with fabulous art. Just looking around is entertaining. Since you are flying back from BCN, you are sailing in the Spring. The weather will fluctuate in temperature. layers are the answer, and one should be something that will work if it rains. My husband brings a sport jacket and wears it in certain venues. Last time on Riviera, Jacque and Red Ginger were a bit crisp. There are guest laundries aboard, and plenty of time to use them on sea days. The ship's dry cleaning and laundry services are very good for ordinary items. Save the silk shirts for ashore. Have a great cruise.

Mary

Sorry, yes we are going on the March 28 TA out of MIA. My DW is excited about the art classes as she did some fantastic water colors on Seabourn but it was in a conference room not like on Oceania. You are right in that a jacket would be useful so I will bring one. Thanks

We did a TA this April on Marina in a Veranda and loved the trip. Do a search on this board - there are many threads about whether or not to upgrade to Concierge - we haven't, but some folks swear by Concierge (we are typically in a Veranda or an Ocean View).

I did bring magnetic hooks - the storage is indeed pretty good but I find the hooks very handy to keep track of jackets and hats near the entry door. Of course I also bring magnetic document holders (for Currents, port info sheets, etc) so I might be a bit biased toward using magnets to put things on the wall lol.

Thanks as I will do a search on Concierge for more info. The magnetic doc holders are a great idea!

Hi CA,

>can I assume jackets for men are never required? Finally, the weather on a transatlantic in April can get chilly so any suggestions other than bring layers?

If you wear a sports jacket onto the plane you will have something to keep you warm when you go to dinner, but they won't make you walk the plank if you don't.

IIRC, if you have the premium pkg all drinks are included.

Enjoy your trip

Ira

Hi CA,

>can I assume jackets for men are never required? Finally, the weather on a transatlantic in April can get chilly so any suggestions other than bring layers?

If you wear a sports jacket onto the plane you will have something to keep you warm when you go to dinner, but they won't make you walk the plank if you don't.

Enjoy your trip

Ira

Sorry didn't mean to sound like I don't like to wear jackets as I usually do wear one on the plane.

Wow, that means I will get the premium pkg too just to sample the excellent scotch!

Regarding the cooking classes- on our TA in November, the classes were very popular. During the cruise, classes were added. You will need to check at the reception desk since these added classes were not advertised.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry didn't mean to sound like I don't like to wear jackets as I usually do wear one on the plane.

Wow, that means I will get the premium pkg too just to sample the excellent scotch!

Please note, only drinks listed on the bar menu are available with the Prestige Package. Or drinks that can be made with ingredients on the bar menu.

There are quite a few scotches in Horizons and Polo that are not available. I know this from very current experience.

Hi CA,

Enjoy your trip

Ira

Sorry but they do charge for some but not all Single Malt Scotch and Top XS For the B3 look at the ship deck plan some like 7008 are beyond fantastic...

Think long and hard on the veranda the weather for your crossing will be both cold and it can be wet After several crossings all times of the year on Oceania and R class ships In spring and fall, for the most part the verandas seldom got used., just not pleasant... Save the money for shore trips

Seriously the reason for concierge is hot breakfast and meals. However,, the fact remains that unless your in a penthouse, it is very uncomfortable to try to eat anything for 2 people..... Even in a penthouse I dont order in. As far as reservations on your crossing there will be plenty of choices if you are flexible and want to share

Think long and hard on the veranda the weather for your crossing will be both cold and it can be wet After several crossings all times of the year on Oceania and R class ships In spring and fall, for the most part the verandas seldom got used., just not pleasant... Save the money for shore trips

Personal experience varies.

My very first cruise was on Regatta Fall (Oct/Nov?) trans-Atlantic. I booked concierge verandah. Everyone I spoke to questioned my choice of a veranda on a transatlantic in the Fall saying it would be unused and a waste of my money.

As it turned out it was a highlight yet to be repeated.

We did have several days of terrible weather and extremely rough seas with outer deck access locked down, most passengers and much of the crew seasick.

But we also had several days of absolutely spectacular weather. I sat on the balcony, sometimes glass in hand, watching the billowy cloud formations change in the bright blue sky over the rippling ocean. Over the course of the cruise I spent several hours on that veranda and enjoyed it immensely.

Of course coming from western Canada my idea of pleasant and warm will likely be different than yours or the OP's. My experience as with everyone's will be different as will the circumstances of the voyage itself.

Thanks to everyone for the kind advice. We added a cooking class. Also we just extended our TA by adding on the next 10 day Iconic Med cruise figuring we may as well see some of the Med while we are there. The weather in the Med during Spring should be cool so might need some sweaters? From the looks of the itinerary (9 out of the 10 days will be ashore) it looks "port intensive". Probably going to need the early hot breakfasts in the room as suggested. Got a great rate on a PH3 GTY for the 10 days.